Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Rush Camp coins found...

A variety of different coins I how found in the past year hunting gold rush camps. The most common are the Chinese coins do to such  large populations of Chinese miners in the gold fields in the 186o's -1870's. I wonder if the Chinese traded these coins among each other for goods and services because they are very common in so many gold fields all over the west. The silver coin at 2 o'clock I cannot identify as its very worn for the exception of a few letters on the edge. Its always nice to dig out a coin regardless of value..

gold rush camp coins found.jpg

• Like 4
  • well done 1

Nice finds.

I detected a few of those Chinese coins as well at a well known mining district near Elko, Nevada. I know Dan has found a few too.

I've always wondered about the actual comparative value to U.S. coins but could never find that information on them.

• Like 2

Just now, Au Seeker said:

Nice collection of coins :thumbsupanim, judging from size comparison with the Barber dime, the unknown silver coin is about the right size for it being a 1/2 reale .

AuSeeker,

Think your on to something, I am kind of leaning toward  a Spanish coin also. The 5 or 6 letters on the edge appear to be similar to Spanish coins I have seen before. I will research that lead tonight. Its in very poor condition but I am interested regardless of where it came from for historic reasons to understand who worked the area. 

VERY NICE HAUL FOR SURE!! Man i love those Chinese coins. And the Chinese robe buttons you have there are fun to find also. They sound like a little gold nugget on the 5000! Morlock is correct, we definitely have a spot here that just keeps giving up the Chinese coins and the American silver coins. My oldest from the area is a 1746 Silver 1 Groten coin. Very shocked when i pulled that out of the ground. Thats the cool thing about the old camps, you find coinage from all countries. Great finds!!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Relichunter2016 said:

AuSeeker,

Think your on to something, I am kind of leaning toward  a Spanish coin also. The 5 or 6 letters on the edge appear to be similar to Spanish coins I have seen before. I will research that lead tonight. Its in very poor condition but I am interested regardless of where it came from for historic reasons to understand who worked the area. 

I tried doing a little searching for a 1/2 reale with the same lettering before posting but none matched the little bit of lettering I could see on your coin, that being said it could be any of a number of other coins of that size and era....14 to 16 mm or so from several of countries, many of the silver coins from the 1500s to the early 1800s varied in size a little bit, they weren't very consistent in exact size, 1/2 reales vary from around 16 mm and up around 17 mm.

It could also be something like the 1 Groten mentioned by nugget108/Dan which were approximately 15 mm.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

I tried doing a little searching for a 1/2 reale with the same lettering before posting but none matched the little bit of lettering I could see on your coin, that being said it could be any of a number of other coins of that size and era....14 to 16 mm or so from several of countries, many of the silver coins from the 1500s to the early 1800s varied in size a little bit, they weren't very consistent in exact size, 1/2 reales vary from around 16 mm and up around 17 mm.

It could also be something like the 1 Groten mentioned by nugget108/Dan which were approximately 15 mm.

That's the fun part of detecting old coins and relics, trying to find out a little bit about the history and who the men were that came to the gold mines and camps. Thanks for giving it a go. I will check out the 1 Groten and see it it has any matches. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nugget108 said:

VERY NICE HAUL FOR SURE!! Man i love those Chinese coins. And the Chinese robe buttons you have there are fun to find also. They sound like a little gold nugget on the 5000! Morlock is correct, we definitely have a spot here that just keeps giving up the Chinese coins and the American silver coins. My oldest from the area is a 1746 Silver 1 Groten coin. Very shocked when i pulled that out of the ground. Thats the cool thing about the old camps, you find coinage from all countries. Great finds!!

Next to nuggethunting , coins are the next best thing. Digging up a piece of history and they tell us a bit of who came to California to dig gold. A very diverse group of people who more then likely stayed here and became Americans. The 1 Groten is a cool coin, must have been cool to dig that up!

• Like 1

Yes it was very shocking actually! It pre-dated the area we hunt by over 100 years. I think they were just carrying it around for the silver weight. It was cool for sure. It was completely bent in a taco shape and tarnished black, so luckily i saved it to inspect later.

Looks like you have some fantastic areas that are producing some amazing finds, keep up the hard work!

20200607_173855.jpg

20200607_173835.jpg

• wow 1

Just now, nugget108 said:

Yes it was very shocking actually! It pre-dated the area we hunt by over 100 years. I think they were just carrying it around for the silver weight. It was cool for sure. It was completely bent in a taco shape and tarnished black, so luckily i saved it to inspect later.

Looks like you have some fantastic areas that are producing some amazing finds, keep up the hard work!

20200607_173855.jpg

20200607_173835.jpg

Wow, now that's a cool coin. You just never know what you will dig up , and there's still plenty of stuff to be dug up. Thanks for sharing your find....wish more people would post their finds. Happy New Years and good hunting !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, it is a pretty cool find. I dont want to hijack your thread so maybe we will start another one on cool coin and relic finds? Happy New year to you also!

• Like 2