Nugget Shooter Forums

James Webb Telescope

Morlock

I don’t think they’re gonna find “the end of darkness” or the Big Bang… I think there was no “beginning” because it’s an ongoing process….is, was, and always will be and the universe as we know, or ever will know it is endless…

They are reaching into the stars and the ends of space.

Billions of dollars spent on research tech and manufacturing.

All the while they can't see their basic problems in front of us everyday. They just brush it all under the rug and keep diverting the funds.

Society can't seem to cure it's social troubles or get along with each other YET they are cruising the Heavens looking for Alien life to meet 🤣.

• Like 3

On 12/26/2021 at 7:28 AM, middleforkminer2 said:

I’m really at a loss on how to respond to that one frank… :nutty:

You won't be at a loss to understand if you calmly listen and watch this 5 minutes will truthfully enlighten you I promise !

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 12:46 PM, frank c said:

They are reaching into the stars and the ends of space.

Billions of dollars spent on research tech and manufacturing.

All the while they can't see their basic problems in front of us everyday. They just brush it all under the rug and keep diverting the funds.

Society can't seem to cure it's social troubles or get along with each other YET they are cruising the Heavens looking for Alien life to meet 🤣.

Yeah but these are 2 different things: technology and social issues. Just sayin'. Don't want to get this thread off topic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dakota Slim said:

Yeah but these are 2 different things: technology and social issues. Just sayin'. Don't want to get this thread off topic.

You see the glass half empty I see it half full same topic different outlooks on it. 🤠 

I always had an appreciation for space and exploration especially as a youngster absolutely loved it.

As I grew older and in some ways wiser, I look at everyday life much different. Especially when thinking about the costs and returns on taxpayer investments.

I wish we could solve our problems here by seeing what's out there 🤠

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to the seeing results from a decent telescope. There is still a lot we haven't seen. It's a big universe out there.

The Hubble was a disappointing and expensive disaster. Hopefully they got this one right.

• Like 1

Clay when you see all these gaseous masses and configurations of light and dark sometimes unimaginable shapes what's it all going to mean to us here ?

Do you think it's capable of giving us some new previously unknown answers or direction to helping mankind on the face of Mother Earth ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frank c said:

Clay when you see all these gaseous masses and configurations of light and dark sometimes unimaginable shapes what's it all going to mean to us here ?

Do you think it's capable of giving us some new previously unknown answers or direction to helping mankind on the face of Mother Earth ?

Yes. Exactly!

Pretty pictures from faraway sometimes do encourage imaginative leaps of fantasy. I think that kind of fantasy is in general good for men. Men need to dream.

The fact that those faraway pictures represent events that occurred billions of years ago means they can only show us truly ancient history. That does limit the scope of their value to the observer. Man and the earth he lives on weren't even a twinkle in the old man's eye that far back. What facts we might learn are going to be really old.

Speculation is fun. So are pretty pictures. You can hang pretty pictures on the wall and all will enjoy them. Hang your speculation on the wall and most people will get creeped out or want to start a club with you. Put a few old facts on that wall and people will argue with you before they even look at the facts.

I like the pretty pictures. :action-smiley-068[1]:

Edited by clay

11 hours ago, frank c said:

I do think the more we try to solve these earthly problems, the worst it gets.  Nothing wrong with a little inspiration.

What would you rather we do with that money?

11 hours ago, clay said:

I'm looking forward to the seeing results from a decent telescope. There is still a lot we haven't seen. It's a big universe out there.

The Hubble was a disappointing and expensive disaster. Hopefully they got this one right.

I don't see how you can call Hubble a disappointing and expensive disaster. It was originally scheduled to last 10 to 15 years. Still in operation for over 30 years and will probably last another 10 to 20. Sure they had a lot of problems with it but they developed new methods and technologies to keep it going that have benefited other NASA programs and industries.

I'm looking forward to the Webb deployment as well but there's so much that can go wrong..even more  than the Hubble so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, Morlock said:

I don't see how you can call Hubble a disappointing and expensive disaster. It was originally scheduled to last 10 to 15 years. Still in operation for over 30 years and will probably last another 10 to 20. Sure they had a lot of problems with it but they developed new methods and technologies to keep it going that have benefited other NASA programs and industries.

I'm looking forward to the Webb deployment as well but there's so much that can go wrong..even more  than the Hubble so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Hubble when it was launched couldn't focus any better than a Kodak disposable camera with sticky children's fingerprints on the lens. It took 13 years to design and build and it was the most expensive telescope ever manufactured. The fix or "improvement" was to send men up with small corrective lenses that gave it the ability to focus somewhat better. They put glasses on it so it could see.  It never performed up to it's design specs. In those 30 years it was incapable of carrying out many of the experiments that it was designed for. At a cost of 16 billion dollars I think it's fair to say it was quite expensive.

That's why I can call Hubble a disappointing and expensive disaster.

I too have hopes that the new Webb telescope will meet it's design standards and bring us new knowledge..

34 minutes ago, Morlock said:

I agree I was very expensive but not a total disaster.

I don't deny the Hubble eventually did become a useful tool. We have gained knowledge from it for nearly 26 of the 30 years it's been in orbit. Certainly you agree it's disappointing that it didn't deliver what is was designed for?

Yes, it was disappointing but they salvaged Hubble nonetheless and gave us a good 30 years of use and counting. It may well go on for another 20 years. So like I stated, it was hardly a total disappointment.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting updates- Not only was the mirror fully deployed successfully today, they also recently stated that since the launch was so precise, the total fuel use was lower than expected which ‘significantly’ extends the 10-year lifespan of the telescope.

So, with the resolving power this thing has, my daughter jokingly says we may see a “Made in China” tag on the edge of the universe and realize that we’re really just in someone’s snow globe up on a dusty shelf in a thrift store somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/31/2021 at 9:15 AM, clay said:

I don't deny the Hubble eventually did become a useful tool. We have gained knowledge from it for nearly 26 of the 30 years it's been in orbit. Certainly you agree it's disappointing that it didn't deliver what is was designed for?

Remember this photo taken with the Hubble? One has to admit that it was a pretty big deal when it was first published. Who could seriously deny the possibility of any types of life on other worlds in the universe after seeing this?

BC66E140-904D-44FB-A3B4-451A8A91715F.jpeg

• Like 1

I think you misunderstood my post GotAU.

The famous and well known picture you are showing is the Hubble Ultra Deep Field 2014 image. That image is a composite of separate exposures taken between 2003 and 2012. They were not taken together and they were not taken with the original unmodified Hubble telescope.

The original unmodified Hubble Telescope that was orbited in 1990 was incapable of even the basic imaging that you have come to expect from telescopes. It was a huge and embarrassing failure and there was no "fix" until December 1993.

Here's an example image taken on November 27, 1993 on the left and the same view after the corrective lenses were installed in December 1993 on the right.

hubble_images_of_m100_before_and_after_repair.jpg

As you can see the Hubble was pretty much worthless as delivered in 1990 and never met it's design specs even after several expensive "fixes". The Hubble was just more space junk for the first three years of it's mission.

The Hubble did a lot of good work over the 26 years it was actually functional. We have learned a lot and many of the false color ultraviolet images have inspired myself and others. I just wish it had been able to do all the things it was designed to do. Many of us were very excited for what the Hubble would bring to the science and were justifiably disappointed when it failed to meet even it's minimum specifications in 1990 and beyond.

Edited by clay
  • Like 1