Nugget Shooter Forums

Coin Sunbaker

So I headed back to the ole Chinese diggins a day after I found the 2-piece belt buckle and eyed this old Chinese coin right on top of the surface, funny thing is I detected the area a few times before. How I missed it with my detector I do not know. But it goes to show you that going back multiple times to sites is worth the effort if your nuggethunting or relichunting. Its never worked out. 

coin.jpg

• Like 4

Thats great! My boys and i have found a couple Chinese coins basking in the sun. We love ourselves a good Chinese coin patch!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Thats great! My boys and i have found a couple Chinese coins basking in the sun. We love ourselves a good Chinese coin patch!

The most I found was 8 in one spot but have a friend who told me a story when he was just a boy he and his father found a copper pot with a lid  buried and the lid had this large solid copper handle on it. When they pulled the lid off  it was full of Chinese coins . He said they gave most of them away to children and friends over the years.  So I would imagine the Chinese traded the coins among one another for goods and services. 

• Like 1

Thats funny, mine was also 8 in one spot. That is actually the only "coin spill" i have ever found! All of my American coins have all been single finds. We like looking up the history and mint of the Chinese coins because they are usually very old. They are a very cool peice of history here in the west i think.

• Like 2

Just now, nugget108 said:

Thats funny, mine was also 8 in one spot. That is actually the only "coin spill" i have ever found! All of my American coins have all been single finds. We like looking up the history and mint of the Chinese coins because they are usually very old. They are a very cool peice of history here in the west i think.

I have not as of yet researched the dates on the Chinese coins  but one day I will, but on all others I do because its a bit easier to research European and U.S. coins. The more I study the Chinese gold miners I come to realize how significant their work was in the building up of California. They build many of the roads and levees and were recruited by the Central Pacific railroad to build the transcontinental railroad. Later on thousands of Chinese were hired to build the extensive levees in the Sacramento -San Joaquin Delta. 

• Like 1

Same here in Nevada. Railroad builders turned miners. They were definitely proficient at getting the gold.

• Like 1