Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Rush Era 2- Piece Belt Buckle Found !!

Took the ole  Whites MXT 300 and do some relichunting. I have a few locations I hunt where the old timers dug gold and I thought of hitting some trashy areas with the smallest coil I have. I set it to relic position and toggle center position for the 2 tone and set my disc at 2. This way I can cherry pick and dig primarily non ferrous targets within the scores of square nails and broken up tin bits. It did not take me long to dig up 2 buttons the type with 4 little holes for the thread to go into and very common in the gold fields. After the buttons I got another non ferrous tone and dug this baby up, the first piece I found was the eagle tongue to the 2 piece and form my past experience it seems its common to find one piece of these 2 piece buckles. I was very happy to find the one piece but I thought I'd circle around some and 6 feet away I got another non ferrous tone and found the holder :headbang: :hello2::headbang: . Both were found about 4-5 inches deep and in very good condition. This was the first time I found both the pieces that actually belong together.

gold Rush Era 2 piece eagle belt buckle.jpg

Edited by Relichunter2016
  • Like 4
  • well done 2

Update on the buckle,  the tongue is stamped brass and the wreath is cast brass. They would have come from two different buckles. Not to say that the miner didn't use them this way, they often made due with what they had. Here I thought Ii found a complete set :aw-shucks: but its got me thinking I need to get back and broaden my search area.:hiker::Diggin_a_hole:and search so more.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Relichunter2016 said:

Update on the buckle,  the tongue is stamped brass and the wreath is cast brass. They would have come from two different buckles. Not to say that the miner didn't use them this way, they often made due with what they had. Here I thought Ii found a complete set :aw-shucks: but its got me thinking I need to get back and broaden my search area.:hiker::Diggin_a_hole:and search so more.

I was going to comment on the difference in the 2 pieces when I first saw the buckle, but as you stated I figured the miner had salvaged the 2 pieces or at least one of them to make a belt to keep his pants up, so you did it seems find a complete buckle!

• Like 1

Just now, Au Seeker said:

I was going to comment on the difference in the 2 pieces when I first saw the buckle, but as you stated I figured the miner had salvaged the 2 pieces or at least one of them to make a belt to keep his pants up, so you did it seems find a complete buckle!

I did in a sense that the fella improvised and they belonged together , I am good with that for sure. And I may one day find the other pieces which would be great. The hunt is the fun and the finds are frosting :thumbsupanim

• Like 3