Nugget Shooter Forums

Lights in the sky

Bedrock Bob

A few nights ago I saw what at first looked like a comet low in the western sky. 

I grabbed my binoculars and saw a string of lights. Irregularly spaced in groups along a line. It was moving in an easterly direction.

It looked like it was way up there and incredibly long. It took a few minutes for it to move high in the sky. Just past the zenith it started to falter and went out. Just like a satellite would as it went into the earth's shadow. 

I was dumbfounded. It musta been miles long if it was that high. 

I wondered if anyone else saw it. 

Then I googled it.

Has anyone else seen this abomination?

https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanocallaghan/2020/04/21/what-are-those-strange-moving-lights-in-the-night-sky-elon-musks-starlink-satellites-explained/amp/?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#aoh=16396131856112&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.forbes.com%2Fsites%2Fjonathanocallaghan%2F2020%2F04%2F21%2Fwhat-are-those-strange-moving-lights-in-the-night-sky-elon-musks-starlink-satellites-explained%2F

I have not seen it but would like to.  If I knew about a launch, I would take a look.  My Camper is away for repairs now, but once it gets back we'll be heading out and the highlight of our evening is going outside and looking for satellites.  One of these would be a huge bonus.

I'm not sure that Starlink launched any satellites with Elon Musk.  There're other companies that are launching internet satellites, I did not know if they actually got off the ground or not.

For those that have Starlink Beta, avaialble in Phoenix and other parts of AZ, they are reporting really good speeds of 100 MBps.  That's better than the actual speed on my internet that's supposed to be a lot faster.

Elon Musk supposedly had an all hands on deck for thanksgiving because his rocket company is not doing to well.  Starship engine 'crisis' poses possible bankruptcy risk for SpaceX, Elon Musk says: report | Space

16 minutes ago, chrisski said:

I have not seen it but would like to.  If I knew about a launch, I would take a look.  My Camper is away for repairs now, but once it gets back we'll be heading out and the highlight of our evening is going outside and looking for satellites.  One of these would be a huge bonus.

I'm not sure that Starlink launched any satellites with Elon Musk.  There're other companies that are launching internet satellites, I did not know if they actually got off the ground or not.

For those that have Starlink Beta, avaialble in Phoenix and other parts of AZ, they are reporting really good speeds of 100 MBps.  That's better than the actual speed on my internet that's supposed to be a lot faster.

Elon Musk supposedly had an all hands on deck for thanksgiving because his rocket company is not doing to well.  Starship engine 'crisis' poses possible bankruptcy risk for SpaceX, Elon Musk says: report | Space

If you read the article I linked to you will see he is launching a BUNCH of them regularly. 

There is also a link you can enter your location and it will tell you when you can view them. I think anyone can see them on a regular basis now.

On a different subject I grew a bunch of those devil claw seeds you sent last summer. They did well! I have a half cup of those white seeds to plant next year. I'm going to grow a bunch of them.

Thanks Chris!

• Like 1

Yes my wife,and i saw one of the first launches from our jacuzzi. About two months ago soaking our buns when up in the sky i see a string of lights moving from west to east at first we thought it was jets, but after 10 minutes of these lights flying right over our heads we knew this was something different, after a quick search found out about the Starlink project. It is a sight to see, but from what i understand they don't look as dramatic because they are spreading out over time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, middleforkminer2 said:

Elon is a pretty smart guy. 

Starlink is the bane of earth based astronomy.

https://bbc-edition.com/space/spacex-starlink-satellites-threaten-optical-astronomy/

Edited by Morlock
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Starlink alone plans to have 42,000 satellites in orbit by the time they're done and that's just one company. 

Years ago I'd be lucky to see one satellite per hour.. Just wait a couple years from now. The skies will be criss crossed with them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Morlock said:

ears ago I'd be lucky to see one satellite per hour.. Just wait a couple years from now. The skies will be criss crossed with them.

I think that will be an awesome sight.  Maybe someday they will outperform my neighbors Christmas lights..

21 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

On a different subject I grew a bunch of those devil claw seeds you sent last summer. They did well! I have a half cup of those white seeds to plant next year. I'm going to grow a bunch of them.

I’m glad they did well.  I did not get the plants in this year, procrastinated on those.  I think I will start them around Mid February this year.  A half cup of seeds ought to get you a hundreds plants!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisski said:

I think that will be an awesome sight.  Maybe someday they will outperform my neighbors Christmas lights..

I’m glad they did well.  I did not get the plants in this year, procrastinated on those.  I think I will start them around Mid February this year.  A half cup of seeds ought to get you a hundreds plants!!

I don't start them until June or July. It needs to be hot or they don't germinate well.

I think about 90% of the seeds you sent germinated. A couple plants were monsters. But the white seeded plants have fewer pods. 

They don't sprout in the desert until the rains come. This year they came up in August. We just picked them all a couple weeks ago. 

If they start to mature early they tend to get fungus on the pods. And the worms munch the little pods. But late in the year they seem to do just fine. The chilly weather makes them mature nicely.

Just my experience with them. Where you are is a whole lot wetter and a whole lot closer to sea level. It is a lot cooler here too.

That is probably going to make the plants act differently. What works for me might not work for you. 

If you need seeds I can send you some white ones. I have plenty of black seeded annuals and some of our yellow flowered perennials too.

I haven't had any luck getting the yellow flowered ones to grow. But if you can get them going they come back from the root every year. They can survive 10 years of drought and never grow. But then sprout up into a beautiful vine in a wet year. They are everywhere in the desert around my house. But I'll be darn if I can get one to grow on the property.

I'm thinking about digging one up and trying to start it from a dormant root. I've tried everything to get a seed to sprout with no luck.

As far as putting a bunch of lights up in the sky goes I think it is a bad idea. It's kind of like graffiti on a statue. Or a wad of bubble gum on an art frame. But that is just my opinion. 

If my '06 would shoot a little farther I would try to take one out. In the 20x scope they look close enough if you use your imagination.

An hallucinogen might bring them within range.

I'm sure some rich guy will build a rocket ship with a hypervelocity cannon to shoot those things down. I would join a YouTube channel like that.

If you think a string of lights up there is pretty you would love seeing bits of those things falling through the atmosphere like quail feathers. With 4000 of them up there we could make it rain fireworks for months!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...