Nugget Shooter Forums

Unknown rock found in brazos river in central tx

Is inside of rock hard like agate? Or any tiny crystals visible in holes? There is river rock with water worn holes, often can go through the stone to other side. Try Google holey stone. That was a popular 90s New Age stone.

Here is a New Age link. But normally, holey stones don't have so many holes as your rock.

The Crystal Chick: Crystal of the Week: Holy Stones and Fairy Crosses (crystal-chick.blogspot.com)

Edited by Red_desert

Really looks like basalt rock.  These are my results for “rounded basalt bubbled.”  I find a lot of rock like that in the desert, but its jagged.  Thrown in a river for a few years,  it’d turn rounded just like you saw.  My guess is your rock split would look like some of these.

40B05FC3-B641-4EC1-BC9E-722C79BF04F7.png

It could be a water worn agate. Those don't look like the spherical gas bubbles in basalt. It looks like a wild, folded agate that has been worn down. 

The hardness will tell the tale. If it is hard and glassy inside it is agate. If it is porous and like fine mortar it is probably basalt. 

You could rub a spot with sandpaper or a file and see pretty quick. Agate will leave a white powder and be hard to grind. Basalt will be easy(er) to grind and leave a powder the same color as the rock. 

20 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It could be a water worn agate. Those don't look like the spherical gas bubbles in basalt. It looks like a wild, folded agate that has been worn down. 

That was my first impression.

Looks like a iron stained piece of quarts to me.  The "dimples" may be the result of dissolution of other minerals, likely feldspars, as the sample was weathered by its time in the river.

To tell what it is, best to have the sample cleaned of the dirt, and maybe grind small area to show the unweather material underneath.