Nugget Shooter Forums

Real Rate of Inflation—What is it?

chrisski

Don’t believe inflation is as low as what the Consumer Price Index says of 9% in the last 12 months.  Seems higher.  This article, which really has nothing, says the CPI is not the real rate of inflation people are feeling, but does not give a number:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/tucker-carlson-inflation

The military has given 2.7% pay raise, higher than last year but even less than the CPI.  Houses in my area have doubled in value.  Social Security should increase 5.9% last year.

I do google searches on this, and its if I’ve reached the end of the internet with the only numbers that pop up are tied to the CPI.  I can’t be the only one out there thinking that every dollar we spend, the average American is actually buying a lot less than the 9% CPI accounts for.

Even if he did give a number, he's certainly not a reliable source of information and he's even admitted that in court. That's a show based on opinions, not facts.

https://news.yahoo.com/federal-judge-rules-fox-news-173700477.html

Edited by Morlock

There's probably a number of ways it could be calculated which makes any number questionable imho. So It comes down to each individual to figure out their own. That's what really matters.

Try buying any lumber lately? Gas in my area is up about a dollar a gallon more than a year ago… Beef? Pork? Chicken? Up dramatically…9%??? … no… higher.

Still not as bad as I thought it would be after all the stimulus cash that’s been handed out, but all bets are off on where we’ll be in a year….

2 hours ago, chrisski said:

Maybe I should not have linked an article.  

I’m trying to find out if I’m the only one that thinks inflation is way more than the CPI says?

Hard to get an accurate feel for an average overall, but feels closer to 25 to 30% and even higher in some areas. And unfortunately, certain cable links do tend to bring out knee-jerk gross generalizations from the passionately inclined.

Regardless of the rate, inflation hurts people who with low and fixed incomes the most. 
The increase in the cost of fuel is driving up the cost of just about everything else. 
The gains in productivity we have seen in the last 20 years have been reversed and that is another huge factor with inflation.
Inflation could get better or it could get worse. A lot depends on how we move forward.

5 hours ago, BMc said:

ard to get an accurate feel for an average overall, but feels closer to 25 to 30% and even higher in some areas

THat is how I am feeling.  Some of it, if you’re a homeowner bought years ago, you avoid it.  Other stuff like gas is right at that rate.

I do wish there was more media coverage on the real “real Inflatio” rate.

34 minutes ago, chrisski said:

THat is how I am feeling.  Some of it, if you’re a homeowner bought years ago, you avoid it.  Other stuff like gas is right at that rate.

The networks for the most part seems to be behind the curve on reality but I would think it should be pretty obvious to the average consumer at this point.

2 hours ago, chrisski said:

I wish the media would just be REAL about everything… thinking Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen and of course Clark Kent…:ya: …truth, justice and the American way….:thumbsupanim

The "inflation rate" is a number averaged over the entire economy.

The inflation rate is just a number that represents the overall rise in the cost of consumer products. And if we were to buy the exact same products this year that we did last year they would theoretically cost us that much more. But how much more we actually pay depends on what we buy and how much we spend. 

People that spend everything have to do with less. And they are the ones that feel inflation more than anyone else. Even though they may not spend as much due to inflation as someone buying at a higher rate.

So the "inflation rate" isn't something you can really feel or judge based on the price of products. All we really know is things are more expensive. We just have to take the economists word for it when they tell us the "Average American" will pay 8% more for products now than they did a year ago. 

Inflation means we are spending. And spending means we have money to spend. And we are spending a ton of it in the past 6 months. That is precisely why prices are going up. 

It's Capitalism. Get used to it!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Inflation means we are spending. And spending means we have money to spend. And we are spending a ton of it in the past 6 months. That is precisely why prices are going up. 

It's Capitalism. Get used to it!

You can spin it any way you want, but it’s not capitalism…..
 How many trillions of dollars just given away???

One question Bob…. If money is FREE, what is it worth???

Inflation is always and everywhere strictly a monetary phenomenon. Don't get fooled into believing the myth that high prices cause high prices. Stuff costs more because there is more money chasing the same amount of goods.

Being that inflation is strictly a monetary problem the exact amount of inflation is easy to calculate. Just look at how much more money has been injected into the monetary base.

36% of all dollars ever issued and put into circulation in history by the United States were issued in the last two years. Therefore the inflation rate is 36%.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, clay said:

Stuff costs more because there is more money chasing the same amount of goods.

I’d say that’s a good definition of inflation.  The other part would be less goods with same money.  Basically, less buying power for a dollar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

If money was free it would be worth very little. 

Now one question for you "middleforkminer2"...

Is money free?

In the short run it is/was…the only problem now is we’ll be paying for it with inflation for the foreseeable future…. Maybe there’s a plan in place to devalue the dollar and pay back some of our debt….The Chinese are really good at it….

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 11:17 AM, clay said:

36% increase in the money supply = 36% inflation = 36% dollar devaluation.

The dollar is already heavily devalued.

More to come. :grr01:

Yes… much more to come. It’s going to be exasperated by the numbers of immigrants streaming across our southern border too… not only will they take lower wages, but a good portion of what many of them will earn, gets sent back to the families many of them left behind…