Nugget Shooter Forums

Makita backpack vacuum???

middleforkminer2

They are excellent for hard to reach areas like above picture frames, shelves, bookcases, etc. And they work great in closets where a regular vacuum is just a pain.

I just used mine to vacuum the ceiling prior to painting. The little brush attachment got all those cobwebs and dust out of the texture really good.

They are handy to vacuum your swamp cooler in the spring too. It's always difficult to put a shop vac up there on the roof and run a cord. And the smaller hose on the Makita fits in to corners the shop vac just won't go. 

I bought one from Harbor Freight for about half the price of the Makita. It is basically the same thing.

I don't use it much but when I do it is really handy. As long as you aren't looking to vacuum out large areas of bedrock it works just fine. 

55 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I don't use it much but when I do it is really handy. As long as you aren't looking to vacuum out large areas of bedrock it works just fine. 

In the interest of full disclosure I was interested in using it part time for crevicing the smaller fissures, cracks in stream side bedrock… only the dry stuff.

7 minutes ago, middleforkminer2 said:

In the interest of full disclosure I was interested in using it part time for crevicing the smaller fissures, cracks in stream side bedrock… only the dry stuff.

Full disclosure. It will suck up dry dirt. 

You can't collect much material before you dump it and you are limited to your batteries. But it sucks just the same whether you point it at a cobwebs or a crevice. 

It would probably work great for cleaning bedrock.

Mine has a bit of a flimsy hose and the straps are not padded. But that would be easy to fix. The full value Makita looks like those aspects may be better.

I’d be interested in what you find out. 

I’ve found working with batteries are not that great of an option for prospecting with the exception of a metal detector.  I tried a couple of recirculating systems with car batteries, but the amount of energy they carried in a car battery was not close to what gas could provide.

It looks lighter and quieter than a leaf blower vacuum.  

• Like 1

How about this one?

Instead of pack straps just use a rifle sling. You don't even need to bend over to clean crevices. 

https://www.toolmarts.com/makita-xlc02zb-18v-lxt-lithium-ion-cordless-vacuum-tool-only?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtJeNBhCVARIsANJUJ2G89aTlTQPq8doProm5_buQcawMsGzRLjxfq074kkgbXR9aVUVN90MaArmCEALw_wcB

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2021 at 6:43 PM, chrisski said:

I’d be interested in what you find out. 

Well, I went ahead and ordered it….(the half gallon model) got it yesterday and suction is much better than I anticipated…supposedly 30 minutes of run time on high, it’s comfortable…..I’ll let you know how it works out in the real world when I get a chance to get out with it.

If your looking at a Milwaukee Battery operated Hammer / Drill why not check out a Milwaukee Battery operated vacuum ? That way your battery & chargers will work both....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dig It said:

If your looking at a Milwaukee Battery operated Hammer / Drill why not check out a Milwaukee Battery operated vacuum ? That way your battery & chargers will work both....

I opted to go with the Makita system ….a hammer drill is currently inbound. I found a “refurbished” one (from CPO)on ebay for $193 shipped…. My current battery operated tools are all old 12 volt Milwaukees…as they need replacement, I’ll go with the 18/36 volt Makita. The tipping point for me was the advertised suction and reviews of the Makita….The ergonomics of the vacuum are really nice.

Edited by middleforkminer2
  • Like 1