Nugget Shooter Forums

I d help

These two concretions? Maybe idk, came off of an Indian mound and I really just don't have a clue what they are or where they would have come from.  They are hard like stone but almost look man made or sculpted or something.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I wondered if they could be fossilized something's maybe?

IMG_20211122_192126.jpg

IMG_20211122_192155.jpg

IMG_20211122_184912.jpg

IMG_20211122_191919.jpg

IMG_20211122_191945.jpg

IMG_20211122_192002.jpg

IMG_20211122_192009.jpg

IMG_20211122_192022.jpg

IMG_20211122_184809.jpg

IMG_20211122_192030.jpg

IMG_20211122_184818.jpg

IMG_20211122_192044.jpg

IMG_20211122_184831.jpg

IMG_20211122_192047.jpg

IMG_20211122_184844.jpg

IMG_20211122_192117.jpg

IMG_20211122_184852.jpg

IMG_20211122_184909.jpg

No. There is no way it could be a meteorite.

Meteorites stick to a magnet. They have iron flecks inside them. Bright shiny bits of steel. Some are entirely made of steel.

Meteorites are very dense and heavy. They weigh more for their size than any common rock.

Meteorites often have fusion crust. That is very dark. Black or a most black.

The interior of a meteorite is made up of metal and spherical granules called chondrules. They are a "conglomerate" of steel and little round beads.

Throw away every rock that does not stick to a magnet. Put a window in every one that does. Look for bright shiny steel inside. If you don't see that you just don't have a meteorite. 

Yes but what about the lunar type. I actually have some iron ones so I finally know what 8m looking for I. Them. But I have seen some on the net that are from the moon I believe that are white mostly and have little to no fusion crust for whatever reason and what is there is brown.  I really never thought is was. What gave me that thought was when I was writing the description and realized it looked like a lump of clay with thumb prints and all in it.  I respect the opinion though and will regard it as facts just wanted to shed some light on why I had the thought

30 minutes ago, Ordinary rock said:

I will do that.  Is limestone found in Louisiana?  Or did they bring it from off somewheres?

Limestone is quite common in Louisiana. It may take a few minutes before you see any fizzing so be patient.

7 hours ago, Ordinary rock said:

Yes but what about the lunar type. I actually have some iron ones so I finally know what 8m looking for I. Them. But I have seen some on the net that are from the moon I believe that are white mostly and have little to no fusion crust for whatever reason and what is there is brown.  I really never thought is was. What gave me that thought was when I was writing the description and realized it looked like a lump of clay with thumb prints and all in it.  I respect the opinion though and will regard it as facts just wanted to shed some light on why I had the thought

Meteorites are VERY rare. And within that group there are some lunar and martian meteorites that do not fit the description I gave you.

They are almost as rare among meteorites as meteorites are rare among rocks.

So yes. There is about a one in a billion chance that you may find a meteorite without metal and chondrules. For all practical purposes it would be impossible to find one. But there is always that chance.

They are generally a basalt. And if you had one without fusion crust it could not be identified here.

An expert probably could not recognize a lunar or a Martian without fusion crust. Without a crust they would look like an earthly basalt.

So rest assured that what you have is not a meteorite. 

Get that vinegar hot. It will bubble.

• Like 1