Nugget Shooter Forums

What is this ? Found in Chinese mining camp..

Found this thing near a large granite boulder today, not sure what it is. I am thinking either an old wagon wheel thingy or could it be a part of a weapon , a mace head. Anyone have any ideas? The center is open and the round part is hallow but overall the object has some weigh to it...I am thinking a wooden handle can easily be used as a handle and nailed around where the holes are. I could be just dreamin...:) how interesting it would be if it were a mace.

IMG_20211120_142352.jpg

IMG_20211120_152540.jpg

IMG_20211120_152544.jpg

• Like 1

I did an image search for "mace head" and this is what I turned up:

image.png

More similar than everything else I tried with an image search: valve, Wagon Wheel, Wagon Cap, pole base, pole cap and a bunch of others.

I kind of doubt it was a mace, but it looks more like that than anything else.

• Like 1

Great search, thank you for that, I will go with mace until I find out for sure. The reason I thought it may be a mace is because the Chinese Exclusion Act prevented the Chinese from gaining citizenship, they were unable to own firearms in the state of California. I have found daggers with mother of pearl layer into the handle and old style hand cuffs. The mystery continues. 

Is the weight right for a mace head? Or is it lighter like a decoration?

It looks pretty thick on the bottom for decoration. But it could be decorative.

They used "toppers" on canes and sheleleighs. Im not sure where to draw the line between a mace, a flail and a sheleleigh but it sure looks like the top to a fighting stick of some kind. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bedrock Bob said:

Is the weight right for a mace head? Or is it lighter like a decoration?

It looks pretty thick on the bottom for decoration. But it could be decorative.

They used "toppers" on canes and sheleleighs. Im not sure where to draw the line between a mace, a flail and a sheleleigh but it sure looks like the top to a fighting stick of some kind. 

Its pretty heavy not light by any means like one would imagine a decorative item would be. One swift blow to the head with it would kill.

• Like 1