Nugget Shooter Forums

Huge Finnish Treasure???

Interesting article but no explanation how the treasure was accumulated centuries ago.

My guess is it's a hoax. 

https://expressdigest.com/team-of-treasure-hunters-believe-they-are-on-brink-of-finding-worlds-largest-hoard-in-finland/

Edited by Morlock

Here's another shorter article about this hunt.
"Countless official explorations trying to find the treasure have taken place over three decades and involving more than 100 professional prospectors from around the world."

https://nypost.com/2021/11/02/worlds-largest-treasure-hoard-worth-over-20-billion-may-soon-be-found/

On 11/2/2021 at 12:33 PM, Morlock said:

Interesting article but no explanation how the treasure was accumulated centuries ago.

My guess is it's a hoax. 

https://expressdigest.com/team-of-treasure-hunters-believe-they-are-on-brink-of-finding-worlds-largest-hoard-in-finland/

I think you are right. 

There is no concrete evidence of anything. At least none presented. And some strange crap about elves. 

I wonder how they can say the treasure is worth over 20 billion?

I suppose if I had access to a secret cave that opened up on some weirdos property I would want to explore it as well. And I would probably be "on the verge" of finding a huge treasure too. 

At least if the media came knocking. 

I hope they find a five gallon bucket of emeralds. But I bet it's just a bunch of bat guano and elf grease.

25 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I think you are right. 

There is no concrete evidence of anything. At least none presented. And some strange crap about elves. 

I wonder how they can say the treasure is worth over 20 billion?

I suppose if I had access to a secret cave that opened up on some weirdos property I would want to explore it as well. And I would probably be "on the verge" of finding a huge treasure too. 

At least if the media came knocking. 

I hope they find a five gallon bucket of emeralds. But I bet it's just a bunch of bat guano and elf grease.

You live in New Mexico and I'm sure you've heard of The Victorio Peak treasure. Is it real or is it a hoax?

2 hours ago, Morlock said:

You live in New Mexico and I'm sure you've heard of The Victorio Peak treasure. Is it real or is it a hoax?

I repaired a detector for and sold a detector to the Noss family about 1985. Leitha Guthrey, Doc Noss' stepdaughter lived in Clovis, New Mexico and I was a detector dealer in Albuquerque, NM. The family finally made a deal with the Govment in 1985 to try recovering the treasure on White Sands Missile Range. Their attempt was not a success. Victorio Peak was a mess from lots of heavy equipment work.  After a lot of research, I believe the treasure was there but was stolen by soldiers on the range in 1967 and it was flown to Vietnam.  Just my 2 cents!

• Like 1

I have been there several times. It's just a few miles from my house. 

I have no idea if there was ever a treasure. I suspect if there was the Army got it like Jim said. That's what it says on a rock at the entrance. It makes sense to me.

If the treasure was real Doc Noss made several stashes between there and Hatch. He brought lots of stuff out of the hole for several years before things went south. I have focused on a couple likely spots I think he may have stashed some loot but I have never found anything of great value. Nothing I think may have come from that hole. 

Doc Noss, El Chato, the Gobernador Otero mine and the Lost Padre Mine are all supposed to be within 35 miles of Las Cruces. I think there is enough historical fact and evidence to say they are all probably real treasures. IMHO you will find more real treasure if you didn't waste your time on them.

I think the Army got Noss's gold. And El Chato's stash was probably found in the 1930's. The Lost Padre still exists on WSMR (Army) property and is nothing but an adit just north of I-70 as you go over the San Andres pass. Im pretty sure that mine and the Gobernador Otero Mine is one and the same.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I have been there several times. It's just a few miles from my house. 

I have no idea if there was ever a treasure. I suspect if there was the Army got it like Jim said. That's what it says on a rock at the entrance. It makes sense to me.

If the treasure was real Doc Noss made several stashes between there and Hatch. He brought lots of stuff out of the hole for several years before things went south. I have focused on a couple likely spots I think he may have stashed some loot but I have never found anything of great value. Nothing I think may have come from that hole. 

Doc Noss, El Chato, the Gobernador Otero mine and the Lost Padre Mine are all supposed to be within 35 miles of Las Cruces. I think there is enough historical fact and evidence to say they are all probably real treasures. IMHO you will find more real treasure if you didn't waste your time on them.

I think the Army got Noss's gold. And El Chato's stash was probably found in the 1930's. The Lost Padre still exists on WSMR (Army) property and is nothing but an adit just north of I-70 as you go over the San Andres pass. Im pretty sure that mine and the Gobernador Otero Mine is one and the same.

I was told that Doc's stashes were 10 bars of gold in each stash at 10 different locations. He had taken them and more treasure out of the mountain before he hired a fellow to open up the tunnel. The fellow used too much explosive and ruined the entrance. Doc was killed right after that.  The family said he gave them a map, but it didn't really make sense because the starting point wasn't clear. The gold bars were small like the early Spanish miners cast.

10 hours ago, snakejim said:

After a lot of research, I believe the treasure was there but was stolen by soldiers on the range in 1967 and it was flown to Vietnam.  Just my 2 cents!

Soldiers couldn't have done this on their own without government support of some type. Has anyone filed under the FOI act to see any filles that might be available concerning the events at Victorio Peak?

5 hours ago, Morlock said:

Soldiers couldn't have done this on their own without government support of some type. Has anyone filed under the FOI act to see any filles that might be available concerning the events at Victorio Peak?

Soldiers didn't do it on their own. It was a huge Army project. They dug up the entire little peak.

The story is all documented well. 

7 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Soldiers didn't do it on their own. It was a huge Army project. They dug up the entire little peak.

The story is all documented well. 

Do you know if anyone has filed for disclosure under the FOI act?

1 hour ago, Morlock said:

Do you know if anyone has filed for disclosure under the FOI act?

Ova Noss, Doc's wife "filed a One Billion dollar lawsuit against Federal and State Officials" You have to research and read the voluminous files/maps/photographs of "gold bars"/artifacts/statements from the beginning to get an idea of what happened and who did what to whom. A lot of speculation/intrigue/conspiracy, skullduggery and mystery. And that was even before F. Lee Bailey got involved . . .

2 hours ago, BMc said:

Ova Noss, Doc's wife "filed a One Billion dollar lawsuit against Federal and State Officials" You have to research and read the voluminous files/maps/photographs of "gold bars"/artifacts/statements from the beginning to get an idea of what happened and who did what to whom. A lot of speculation/intrigue/conspiracy, skullduggery and mystery. And that was even before F. Lee Bailey got involved . . .

Most of the articles I've read on the internet all contain the same information from years ago. Most of the principles are all dead. . I wonder if there's been any recent developments.

1 hour ago, Morlock said:

Most of the articles I've read on the internet all contain the same information from years ago. Most of the principles are all dead. . I wonder if there's been any recent developments.

Not that I am aware of. And personally, I doubt there will be. Being Hatch area residents' both my parents knew Doc Noss and family so I grew up with that local legend and I kept track of the case through the 70's and into the 90's, especially when the various excavations were going on. As you can see from the case files, people were mixed on whether or not it was a fraud and a hoax but there were quite a few witnesses that went on record verifying the existence of many of the items that allegedly were discovered.

To me, one of the more interesting aspects of the whole matter was the corroboration of the two USAF personnel who claimed (and testified) that they also made the discovery from a different side of the mountain.

So, whether legitimate story or not, apparently both the family, and The G believed in it enough to invest a lot of time and money investigating it. I would have thought that some of the artifacts might have been traced or verified though. That would seem to be a missing piece of the puzzle.

No. The little hill they call Victorio Peak is exactly as they left it in the 90's. 

The road through Hembrillo Pass has been washed outon the West side of the pass for 20 years. You can't even get to Victorio Peak from the West side unless you do some serious four wheeling. And you can't get to it from the east side unless you have clearance from the Army.

The Army won't even consider another treasure hunt. Nor would they consider allowing anyone in to poke around. 

A friend of mine was writing a book and wanted permission to photograph the hill. He was denied. 

• Like 1