Nugget Shooter Forums

That must be itchayosaur limb bone!

12 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Means?

A joke based on the typo in the title.

i don’t think you’ve got an icthyosaur fossil there, but that needs to be confirmed by an expert. 

50 minutes ago, d_day said:

A joke based on the typo in the title.

i don’t think you’ve got an icthyosaur fossil there, but that needs to be confirmed by an expert. 

Yes it really needs because I don't think any experts are there on this sites. Just wants to jump at conclusions without seeing its other other sides.:idunno:

Edited by Sketch

6 hours ago, Sketch said:

Yes it really needs because I don't think any experts are there on this sites. Just wants to jump at conclusions without seeing its other other sides.:idunno:

We have one expert on this site Sketch. He just verified your bone is awesome. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Sketch said:

There are plenty. They’re just tired. They get real tired of answering questions for people that refuse to listen.

There seems to be two types of people that ask for a stone to be identified. There are those that are genuinely looking for help, and those that are looking for confirmation—those that have already decided what it is but want someone to confirm. That second type, they won’t listen to anyone that says their stone is something other than what they want it to be, no matter what credentials the person trying to help them has.

Imagine if I posted a picture of a baseball, and asked if it was a billiard ball. Obviously it’s not. Now imagine you answered that person and told them it was actually a baseball. Imagine 10 or 15 other people also said it was a baseball. What if those 10 or 15 people played baseball in college? That would give them enough experience to know what a baseball is despite baseball not being their career.

Now imagine that I say everyone is wrong, it MUST be a billiard ball because it’s round like a billiard ball. I’d look pretty silly to everyone, and everyone would probably just stop answering my questions, right?

Edited by d_day
  • Like 4

"Confirmation bias, the tendency to process information by looking for, or interpreting, information that is consistent with one’s existing beliefs.  People are especially likely to process information to support their own beliefs when the issue is highly important or self-relevant. Confirmation bias is one example of how humans sometimes process information in an illogical, biased manner. Many factors of which people are unaware can influence information processing. Philosophers note that humans have difficulty processing information in a rational, unbiased manner once they have developed an opinion about the issue, or when having a vested interest" 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BMc said:

"Confirmation bias, the tendency to process information by looking for, or interpreting, information that is consistent with one’s existing beliefs.  People are especially likely to process information to support their own beliefs when the issue is highly important or self-relevant. Confirmation bias is one example of how humans sometimes process information in an illogical, biased manner. Many factors of which people are unaware can influence information processing. Philosophers note that humans have difficulty processing information in a rational, unbiased manner once they have developed an opinion about the issue, or when having a vested interest" 

There are actually a few members on this forum afflicted with this phenomenon!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

There are actually a few members on this forum afflicted with this phenomenon!

At least for a change, this one wasn't about a meteorite . . .  

• Like 3