Nugget Shooter Forums

A KILO OF 1500 YEAR OLD GOLD TREASURE!!! Treasure hunter finds gold hoard buried by Iron Age chieftain

Wow.

An amateur treasure hunter wielding a metal detector has discovered a stunning gold hoard buried by an Iron Age chieftain in the sixth century in what is now Denmark. The stash includes lavish jewelry, Roman coins and an ornament that may depict a Norse god.

The treasure hunter, Ole Ginnerup Schytz, uncovered the Iron Age hoard on land owned by one of his former classmates in the town of Vindelev, earning the stash the name "Vindelev hoard." Within a few hours of surveying the area with his newly acquired metal detector, Schytz heard the telltale beeping of possible treasure. It turned out to be one of the "largest, richest and most beautiful gold treasures in Danish history," representatives of Vejle Museums said in a statement released Sept. 9. 

The 1,500-year-old hoard contains nearly 2.2 pounds (1 kilogram) of gold, including large, saucer-sized medallions known as bracteates. An excavation of the site by archaeologists from Vejle Museums, in collaboration with the National Museum of Denmark, revealed that the gold valuables were buried in a longhouse, which may indicate that Vindelev was a powerful village during the Iron Age.

https://www.livescience.com/gold-hoard-sixth-century-denmark

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beeper Bob said:

Hi Slim, Last time I saw you was in the Dale, many years ago. You would think after all these years swinging a coil we would have found something like that. Even a blind pig finds a acorn sometimes.

That's true Bob, but there's plenty of acorns. Stashes like this are few and far between. 
Can you still prospect at the Dale? I heard they made a bunch of that land off limits.

Edited by Dakota Slim

Hi Slim, have not been to the Dale in a few years. Moved out of Comiefornia to North of Prescott AZ. About 10 miles East of Chino Valley about a month ago. High desert Pinion and Juniper country, Deer, Elk, Antelope and Javelina about 4700 ft. love it here. finally sold the vineyard and I am retired now. Have a lot of gold areas within a hours drive from our ranch. Researching open ground in and around the gold districts right now. One more trailer load from Paso Robles and we are done. Working on fencing the ranch and doing home and barn repair. soon I will be a full time prospector. Thanks Bob

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Beeper Bob said:

Hi Slim, have not been to the Dale in a few years. Moved out of Comiefornia to North of Prescott AZ. About 10 miles East of Chino Valley about a month ago. High desert Pinion and Juniper country, Deer, Elk, Antelope and Javelina about 4700 ft. love it here. finally sold the vineyard and I am retired now. Have a lot of gold areas within a hours drive from our ranch. Researching open ground in and around the gold districts right now. One more trailer load from Paso Robles and we are done. Working on fencing the ranch and doing home and barn repair. soon I will be a full time prospector. Thanks Bob

Good move Bob, and good luck out there prospecting. I remember hearing a story about an old days bank or stagecoach robbery somewhere in that neck of the woods. They supposedly got the robber but the loot was never found.  

Food for thought...
https://www.google.com/search?q=historic+arizona+bank+and+stage+coach+robberies&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS909US909&oq=historic+arizona+bank+and+stage+coach+robberies&aqs=chrome..69i57.18987j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited by Dakota Slim