Nugget Shooter Forums

Big ol cow!!

Hello all, I hope everyone is doing good. Just wanted to share that my youngest son was able to get his cow elk tag filled yesterday. Its his first big game animal! He wasn't lucky enough to draw a youth deer tag this year "WIERD" but i was able to get him a first come first served cow elk tag. He was extremely excited when i showed him we won the tag. Shot her at 297 yards with his 7mm-08. It was a blast. Season opened on Friday and he ended up getting her yesterday afternoon. We love elk meat, nothing better!!

Take care everyone!

IMG_2495.jpg

IMG_2512.jpg

• Like 4
  • well done 3

Hello Bob,

I have not started reloading for it yet, just because it is a new caliber in our house. After talking to a bunch of my friends that shoot them for hunting and long range shooting, we decided to buy him one for Christmas last year. I didn't want to stock up on reloading supplies for it until we gave it a good solid run. Well reloading supplies will be ordered haha. I love it, he loves it and it has a push instead of a hard jolt or a kick. And yes its in the middle of a .243 and a .308. But the .260 falls in there too, its just not as popular. I do have 1 friend that uses .308 casings and necks them down. Just has to trim the neck down after sizing. Its a fun round for sure!

• Like 1

I have shot the .243 for many years and I love it. But with elk you run out of gun quick. It likes a projectile between 70 and 90 grains and that just isn't enough bullet. I always thought a round that carried a bit more weight would be a good trade off. The 7mm-08 seems to fill that space pretty good. 

I bet you could make a light bullet go extremely fast like a .243 or go the other way with a heavy projectile and almost get .30 cal knockdown power. I just don't like the 7mm mag round but the 7mm -08 seems to be a much more reasonable idea.

• Like 1

We also love the .243. I reload 100 grain soft points for it and talk about dropping a hammer on the deer! We shot this elk with 139 grain factory ammo and it just dropped her. They weren't the most consistent on accuracy, with a crazy flyer once in a while, but not too bad. Plus, the barrel on that gun heated up really fast, so that also played a huge role in getting it sighted in. My wife wants one now too lol!! I use to love my 7mm but dang, what a kicking mule!!

• Like 2

Yes. The 7mm mag is a kicker. And it is not that much better downrange than an '06. It will ruin a barrel a LOT faster too. Especially a stainless barrel. 

The factory ammo generally uses crappy bullets. So handloading generally takes care of those flyers. You really pay for the premium projectiles but they are really consistent.

What rifle is he shooting? I don't recognize it in the photo. Is that a Tikka? It looks like that low dovetail receiver. 

Here is my rant on new rifles. Maybe you can draw something from it.

I've found that new guns are a bit nervous and throw some flyers now and then. I was told by a guy to use bore paste every 20-30 rounds to smooth out the rifling and keep copper from building up in front of the chamber. Do that for the first couple hundred rounds and then after that each 100 rounds. It seems to work.

Most barrels settle down to business about 500-1000 rnds. Most guys never shoot 500 rounds through the same rifle in a lifetime. So the barrels on most rifles haven't seen enough rounds through them to start shooting great groups.

I always develop loads for a new (or new to me) rifle and shoot 250-300 rounds getting the right bullet/powder combo. Then I load a couple hundred rounds of my favorite stuff and go out and shoot the piss out of it a couple weekends. At that point I call it "broken in".

They always shoot better than when I started. But I think it takes twice that much shooting before the barrel is capable of sending a good bullet into the same spot consistently.

That has been my experience anyway. A guy only has so much time and money and shooting a rifle like that takes both. So once I get a rifle "broken in" it represents a pretty good investment in time and money. And whether the extra accuracy is really worth all that trouble is also a subject of debate.

The process of "breaking in" a new rifle gives the shooter good experience at loading ammunition and shooting the rifle too. By the time they actually load and shoot 500 rounds through it the ammo will be better, the bore will be better and the shooter will too.

• well done 1

It is just a cheap Ruger American. Other than the barrel heating up super fast, its not a bad rifle. Especially for a 12 year old kid. 

• Like 1

It's a great hunting gun. A buddy of mine bought a Ruger a couple seasons ago and loves it.

I bet your son wouldn't part with it now for anything. 

Ifn I was going to buy a new rifle in that caliber it would be this one. Only with a blued steel barrel.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/tikka-t3x-lite-bolt-7mm-08-remington-bolt-action-rifle

The Tikka is IMHO the best all around value for a new hunting rifle. There are a bunch of guns that are a lot more expensive but none that are better made and very few that will shoot as good.

...so there is my rant on the Tikka rifles. I bought one for my toddler a few years back and I have been really impressed. It's chambered in 30-06 with a wood stock and will shoot as good as anything I have leaning in the closet. I really, REALLY want to buy one for me too.

• Like 1

Your right Bob, he will not part with it lol.

I don't own any Tikka rifles. I have shot one in .243 but didn't buy it at the time. I do love the Howa rifles though. A little heavy with the Hogue stock and semi bull barrel, but they definitely shoot well. Same there, for the price you just can't beat what you get.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

Your right Bob, he will not part with it lol.

I don't own any Tikka rifles. I have shot one in .243 but didn't buy it at the time. I do love the Howa rifles though. A little heavy with the Hogue stock and semi bull barrel, but they definitely shoot well. Same there, for the price you just can't beat what you get.

The Howa is a great rifle. It is mighty expensive by comparison but they are fine quality stuff. And the magazine holds more rounds too.

The Tikka with the wood stocks are just sweet but their composite stocks are not as good as the Hogue for sure. They are incredibly light and kick like a mule with the wood stock.

I love the Hogue stocks. I have them on both my hunting rifle and the varmint gun. They are just the cats meow. They are kinda springy and take all the recoil out of the big 30-06.

Im not fond of the feel of a composite stock. And they are noisy. But cover them in that grippy rubber overmold and put that cool bedding rail in there and you just can't beat them.

I like the Hogue kit for the AR-15 too. I have the Hogue grip and forend on one and it is perfect. They are indestructible and really functional.

Betcha they make one for the Ruger American. 

• Like 2

I agree, the Howa brand is getting expensive. My last one was my .223 coyote gun. Its been probably 10 years since i bought one. Plus the new Howa rifles have a cheesy, bent peice of flat metal now for the safety and it is flimsy. It bends easily just under normal use. 

I really like the look of the wooden Tikka rifles. The stock looks beautiful on them. That might just be my next rifle brand to try out.

• Like 1

A Howa in .223 is a beautiful thing. There is not a more accurate varmint gun on the market for sure. And that particular caliber in those first Howa rifles were the very best.

When we bought the Tikka we were actually looking for a Savage. We were having trouble finding one in 30-06. The Tikka was just being imported and they chambered lots of them in '06.

My son liked the wood stock. We hunt some rough country and I told him to get the composite stock because he was going to beat it up.  He wanted wood.

When it came in we took it out of the box and it was gorgeous. The bluing, the stock, everything was flawless and polished. It is a real work of art.

He has hunted with that rifle for several years now and there is not a scratch on it. He will tumble down a bad slope head over heels. He will slide through rocks and cactus and blood will be dripping off his elbows but that rifle hasn't touched a rock yet.

If it did we would both weep tears of sorrow.

It is a really purdy rifle.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

He has hunted with that rifle for several years now and there is not a scratch on it. He will tumble down a bad slope head over heels. He will slide through rocks and cactus and blood will be dripping off his elbows but that rifle hasn't touched a rock yet.

I know your pain well Bob.  I acquired a 8mm Mauser when I was around sixteen years old.  That was right after WWII around 1949 and this gun was 'purchased' in Germany by a friends father that needed money at the time.  I spent my savings of $150.00 to get it and have hunted with it ever since.  Many a tumble I have taken with it and the only thing injured was me.  That rifle was manufactured long before Hitler came to power.  Engraved, hex barrel at breach tapered to a round at muzzle.  Ribbing on top of barrel with the finest open sights that I have ever used.  Double trigger with all matched parts.  

I still have my first twelve gage shotgun that I broke the stock in half from a fall down a steep gully.  It is a keystone and it sure did get me a lot of ducks, rabbits, and pheasants away back.    

Old Tom 

• Like 2

Congrats Dan and family!! Way to get-er done. That is weird that he didn't get a junior hunt tag. He should of gotten one before any out of state tags issued... But! you and I both know where the $$$ lies. Anyway... Congratulations!!!

• Thanks 1