Nugget Shooter Forums

Poking around an old mine.

4 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

The blue green colors indicate copper.

The dark mineral looks like iron or manganese to me. Both very common in ore like that. Galena not so much. But I guess it could be.

It looks like gold/copper ore to me. Crush a bucket full and see if you can get some color out of it.

From what I could find of the msds looked like decent amount of silver was present. But seemed like alot of missing or incomplete info.

Now I gotta figure out how to crush up a bunch to pan it lol.

I've never found silver ore, supposed to be green or black.  The black silver is supposed to be heavy like black sands. The black is supposed to be by the Tombstone silver.

The green ore does look like Chryscolla to me.  A large part of the turquoise for sale is supposed to actually be Chryscolla.  I find a bit of that green ore in the tailing piles in the old, small copper mines from the days before strip mining.  Particularly west of the Hassunyumpa river locally.

32 minutes ago, brownb56 said:

From what I could find of the msds looked like decent amount of silver was present. But seemed like alot of missing or incomplete info.

Now I gotta figure out how to crush up a bunch to pan it lol.

I use an old hub from a Toyota land cruiser and a short piece of axle to crush it into gravel.

I had pretty good luck putting a tee post driver over the axle. It really smashes the fist sized rocks down fast.

Then use a hammer and an old wrist pin to pound it down to dust. I have a little cast iron mortar that will do about a half cup of gravel at a time. 

It isn't fast and it isn't easy but you can get a good sample to pan out. 

No telling what is in ore like that. No doubt copper and a host of other metals. Gold is the only thing that really matters though. And if there is free gold in a vein you really don't have to crush much rock to see it.

You would be amazed at the good ore you can find piled up around old workings. It is just a lot more involved than concentrating gravel and most guys don't do it. They may run a detector over it but most of that ore won't make a sound even if it is fairly rich. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I use an old hub from a Toyota land cruiser and a short piece of axle to crush it into gravel.

I had pretty good luck putting a tee post driver over the axle. It really smashes the fist sized rocks down fast.

Then use a hammer and an old wrist pin to pound it down to dust. I have a little cast iron mortar that will do about a half cup of gravel at a time. 

It isn't fast and it isn't easy but you can get a good sample to pan out. 

No telling what is in ore like that. No doubt copper and a host of other metals. Gold is the only thing that really matters though. And if there is free gold in a vein you really don't have to crush much rock to see it.

You would be amazed at the good ore you can find piled up around old workings. It is just a lot more involved than concentrating gravel and most guys don't do it. They may run a detector over it but most of that ore won't make a sound even if it is fairly rich. 

Yea I figured even if it was Galena I couldn't do anything with it. Would just be cool to say I found a spot to get a little gold out of and have more reason to stick around and do some more digging. Between the mineralization and being on a shear zone think I'll be going back.

If you're going to be poking around ore dumps, you should consider getting a SW lamp or LW flashlight to check for fluorescence. No doubt there's some very nice looking specimens to be found.

I've found crushing ore samples to be a complete waste of time. I never found anything of value in a single ore sample that didn't set off a metal detector. You could probably get more for the ore sample as is than the contents of the sample itself.

• Like 2