Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums

Raw sapphire


Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I think if it would been a quartz then it had been scratched easily with glass.

Quartz is much harder than glass. Quartz will scratch glass very easily. Glass is 5.5 and quartz is 7. 

Find (another) piece of quartz and scratch it. 

If that does not work rub it on your toilet tank lid 

:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Quartz is much harder than glass. Quartz will scratch glass very easily. Glass is 5.5 and quartz is 7. 

Find (another) piece of quartz and scratch it. 

If that does not work rub it on your toilet tank lid 

:)

Yes so after rubbing it was found that the colour of streak was white and I think it is an solidite because they are very similar and have same streak colour. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sketch said:

Yes so after rubbing it was found that the colour of streak was white and I think it is an solidite because they are very similar and have same streak colour. 

A solidite? Is that like a carbanodo?

:)

You mean sodalite? 

I honestly don't know what it is. It looks granular to me. But I have no idea what it could be. 

Let's just call it a ruby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

A solidite? Is that like a carbanodo?

:)

You mean sodalite? 

I honestly don't know what it is. It looks granular to me. But I have no idea what it could be. 

Let's just call it a ruby.

You mean a corundum?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20210920_113818.jpg

3 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Quartz is much harder than glass. Quartz will scratch glass very easily. Glass is 5.5 and quartz is 7. 

Find (another) piece of quartz and scratch it. 

If that does not work rub it on your toilet tank lid 

:)

So this is what I found after rubbing quartz to its surface.  Now I don't know if it is powder of quartz or quartz has scratched it successfully.16321178768012465700875186233038.jpg

Edited by Sketch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Sketch,

Your 4'th and 5'th pics look like corundum (same mineral as Sapphire, just not blue color) a non-precious aluminum oxide mineral.  Your last photo seems to shows Quart powder on the sample.  Try the test again, and see if the Quartz "bits" into or gouges the test sample.  If it does, the sample is harder than Quart.  I would say that you have samples of Corundum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 4meter said:

Hello Sketch,

Your 4'th and 5'th pics look like corundum (same mineral as Sapphire, just not blue color) a non-precious aluminum oxide mineral.  Your last photo seems to shows Quart powder on the sample.  Try the test again, and see if the Quartz "bits" into or gouges the test sample.  If it does, the sample is harder than Quart.  I would say that you have samples of Corundum.

The quartz bits has easily scooped off from its surface so I think it is harder than quartz. Just like a gemstone should do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 4meter said:

Hello Sketch,

Your 4'th and 5'th pics look like corundum (same mineral as Sapphire, just not blue color) a non-precious aluminum oxide mineral.  Your last photo seems to shows Quart powder on the sample.  Try the test again, and see if the Quartz "bits" into or gouges the test sample.  If it does, the sample is harder than Quart.  I would say that you have samples 

Screenshot_20210921-084649_Google.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you will see my above photos it contains so many black inclusions which is actually a good sign which Indicates that it is a sapphire.20210921_110216.jpgthis is an Sri Lankan blue sapphire which has exactly same inclusions. But the problem is that my specimen contains so many black inclusions that it makes it poor quality. 

Edited by Sketch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I made a typo in my last post.  It should read thus  "Try the test again, and see if the Quartz "bits" into or gouges the test sample.  If it does NOT,"   Sorry for any confusion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ruby and Sapphire are the deep red, and deep blue colored varieties of corundum.  Just in case anyone wanted to know.  :ya:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 4meter said:

Ruby and Sapphire are the deep red, and deep blue colored varieties of corundum.  Just in case anyone wanted to know.  :ya:

Actually, to gemologists, all corundum other than red is sapphire, regardless of color. Blue is just the most common.

Jim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...