Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums

First Big Outing.


Recommended Posts

This is my first thread on this forum.  I'm off work today, and I've got a good spot lined up.

A month or so ago I bought myself an Equinox 800.  I've only had it out 12 or 15 times so far.  Maybe 20 hours on the ground, I'm still learning.  I call it #3.  After retiring my White's and Fisher machines.  

Ole #3 is here beside me, fully charged, headphones too.  Just waiting for things to clear off, we had a good rain last night, should be pretty good conditions today.  

I'd tell you where I'm going, but it doesn't even show up on Google Earth.  But I will tell you there was some Civil War action and an old homestead on the property.  

So, I'm going to gather up all my junk and take off in a bit.  But I'm confident in finding some junk.  And maybe, just maybe, some good junk.  

Very good chance I'll find a rattlesnake too.  We shall see

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Redsnow said:

This is my first thread on this forum.  I'm off work today, and I've got a good spot lined up.

A month or so ago I bought myself an Equinox 800.  I've only had it out 12 or 15 times so far.  Maybe 20 hours on the ground, I'm still learning.  I call it #3.  After retiring my White's and Fisher machines.  

Ole #3 is here beside me, fully charged, headphones too.  Just waiting for things to clear off, we had a good rain last night, should be pretty good conditions today.  

I'd tell you where I'm going, but it doesn't even show up on Google Earth.  But I will tell you there was some Civil War action and an old homestead on the property.  

So, I'm going to gather up all my junk and take off in a bit.  But I'm confident in finding some junk.  And maybe, just maybe, some good junk.  

Very good chance I'll find a rattlesnake too.  We shall see

 

 

 

Good Luck on your outing, be sure to post what you find, even the trash, it will show how it is to find the good stuff!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome Redsnow.  You got me curious about where you're going.  Not Lat Long, but a state would be nice.

I don't think its AZ because there's only two Civil War skirmishes, but no rain last night.

Pics of your finds, even a bunch of junk would be nice.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning folks.  I live in West Virginia, that's where I was detecting.  Not far from the Virginia state line, pretty good haul from here where I live. 

I'll give you a run down on what all kinds of junk I found the other day in a minute.  Found a whole box full.

I took off the other morning, the dog and I, got to the property a little before Noon.  As far as I know there were never any skirmishes or anything like that on the property.  The way I understand things, I think there were a few scouts that passed across, taking the high ground. 

I don't know this property very well, and I'd never been on the place when the leaves were still on the timber.  Kind of hard for me to get my bearings, and I could only see 50 or 75 yards. 

Long story short, I walked past the rock wall that I was looking for, but found another one.  I blazed a trail down around one side of the mountain, circled back around the other side.  Thinking about it now, I'd bet that the folks had a rail fence boxing in the rock wall.  Some kind of little pen where they kept 4 or 5 head of cows, during winter. 

The old house, if it's where I think it was, it's gone.  Just a big pile of rocks, probably the chimney stones?  But the grass is up over my knees, can't really get to the ground.  But I searched around the best I could, stayed out till almost dark.

I didn't count them, dug up around 40 targets.  A handfull of rifle bullets and brass, all modern stuff.  2 aluminum funnels, smashed flat.  Did find another live rifle shell, not sure but looks to be a 30 WCF.  An aluminum arrow and broadhead.  Some kind of old handle for a car's window crank.  A couple pieces of brass that I can't id.  That's about it.

The landowner doesn't live on that property, nobody does.  There's never been any electric service.  But the landowner told me a little bit about the place, when I dropped off his key.  I know where the spring is now, know where the other rock wall is located.  Pretty sure that one spot was a garden.   

One thing that I remember about the place, there are 2 pear trees, out 50 yards from the old house site.  Deed honest that one pear tree is 26 or 28 inches across the stump.  I took a picture of it, that thing has got to be well over 100 years old.  And it's got pears on it too.  

So, when I get a chance, I'll go back up and dig up some more junk.  It's just a pain trying to detect when the grass is up over your knees.  

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Redsnow said:

Good morning folks.  I live in West Virginia, that's where I was detecting.  Not far from the Virginia state line, pretty good haul from here where I live. 

I'll give you a run down on what all kinds of junk I found the other day in a minute.  Found a whole box full.

I took off the other morning, the dog and I, got to the property a little before Noon.  As far as I know there were never any skirmishes or anything like that on the property.  The way I understand things, I think there were a few scouts that passed across, taking the high ground. 

I don't know this property very well, and I'd never been on the place when the leaves were still on the timber.  Kind of hard for me to get my bearings, and I could only see 50 or 75 yards. 

Long story short, I walked past the rock wall that I was looking for, but found another one.  I blazed a trail down around one side of the mountain, circled back around the other side.  Thinking about it now, I'd bet that the folks had a rail fence boxing in the rock wall.  Some kind of little pen where they kept 4 or 5 head of cows, during winter. 

The old house, if it's where I think it was, it's gone.  Just a big pile of rocks, probably the chimney stones?  But the grass is up over my knees, can't really get to the ground.  But I searched around the best I could, stayed out till almost dark.

I didn't count them, dug up around 40 targets.  A handfull of rifle bullets and brass, all modern stuff.  2 aluminum funnels, smashed flat.  Did find another live rifle shell, not sure but looks to be a 30 WCF.  An aluminum arrow and broadhead.  Some kind of old handle for a car's window crank.  A couple pieces of brass that I can't id.  That's about it.

The landowner doesn't live on that property, nobody does.  There's never been any electric service.  But the landowner told me a little bit about the place, when I dropped off his key.  I know where the spring is now, know where the other rock wall is located.  Pretty sure that one spot was a garden.   

One thing that I remember about the place, there are 2 pear trees, out 50 yards from the old house site.  Deed honest that one pear tree is 26 or 28 inches across the stump.  I took a picture of it, that thing has got to be well over 100 years old.  And it's got pears on it too.  

So, when I get a chance, I'll go back up and dig up some more junk.  It's just a pain trying to detect when the grass is up over your knees.  

 

Not sure how I missed this thread, I am pretty good at keeping am eye for new things on here.

My father is from Senica. He grew up around where the old locks used to be.  Back when I lived in Fairfax he took me up there and showed me all that.

He had property in Hague (very small town in Civil war country) near Warsaw and Rappahannock and not to far from Fredericksburg. Beautiful country out there, some of the old barns from back in Civil War times are still standing. Can you imagine if I knew about metal detecting back then? A lot of that area is off limits to that, bit a lot of it is open as well.

Anyhow, thanks for letting us know. I just got my 800 in yesterday.

D

Edited by AZ Digger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmmm.  Seneca, is named for the Seneca indians, it's about an hour drive from here.  Beautiful and big country in that area.  If your Dad grew up in that area, good chance that I know some of your family.  

Do a search:  Seneca.  You guys need to get up to snuff on your West Virginia history.  

Years ago I worked over in the Shenandoah Valley, over around New Market and all.  

I've let a few of my local friends look at my most recent box of junk, I forgot to mention the harmonica reed that I found the other day.  Just junk.  

But that would have been pretty neat to come back across the mountain 100 years ago, and hear harmonica music.  It's been years since I've even heard one.  

I'm not sure how you post pictures here, is there a tutoral someplace?  

I might run back up to that property this week?  Honestly, I've been thinking about taking a weedeater and rake.  I'd like to snoop around the old house site and the spring.  But, just like anywhere else, nobody is going to take a pocket full of change, just to go get a bucket of water.  But more than likely, someone in the family made that walk everyday.  Never know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Redsnow said:

Hmmm.  Seneca, is named for the Seneca indians, it's about an hour drive from here.  Beautiful and big country in that area.  If your Dad grew up in that area, good chance that I know some of your family.  

Do a search:  Seneca.  You guys need to get up to snuff on your West Virginia history.  

Years ago I worked over in the Shenandoah Valley, over around New Market and all.  

I've let a few of my local friends look at my most recent box of junk, I forgot to mention the harmonica reed that I found the other day.  Just junk.  

But that would have been pretty neat to come back across the mountain 100 years ago, and hear harmonica music.  It's been years since I've even heard one.  

I'm not sure how you post pictures here, is there a tutoral someplace?  

I might run back up to that property this week?  Honestly, I've been thinking about taking a weedeater and rake.  I'd like to snoop around the old house site and the spring.  But, just like anywhere else, nobody is going to take a pocket full of change, just to go get a bucket of water.  But more than likely, someone in the family made that walk everyday.  Never know.

To add pictures, when writing scroll down. There is a paper clip and a box that says add files. Click it and you can attach pictures.

I loved living out there. I lived in the Fairfax Annandale area.

Out west now, been in AZ for many, many years after leaving Panama for good.

I am down here in Sierra Vista/Fort Huachuca. We are a stones throw from Tombstone amd Bisbee (Copper Queen Mine).

The history in this area is insane.  Not too far from here is a little town called Sonoita, Vinyard country, and where they filmed a lot of Little House on the Prarie.

Landon loved this area as did John Wayne. The Clanton ranch is still near by, and Murry springs clovis site (where they killed wolly mammoth) is also close by.

Jesse James was here also. The great Geranimo war chief roamed this area as did Cochise (I live in Cochise County).

Cochise County is is the 3rd largest gold producing County in AZ. Along with gold copper and silver as well.

The Buffalo Solders were also stationed here, Fort Huachuis considered the home of the Buffalo Solders.

Very rich history here, I guess like anywhere else, I often think of the old west.

I love the desert, it has a beauty that most people will never understand.

Edited by AZ Digger
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

That's my buddy Chris above with the load of junk.  I didn't know that he even had a detector until a month or so ago.  We've been out 3 or 4 times so far.

Chris is running a Garret Ace, he's had it about 3 years or so.  I'm using the Minelab 800, so far we're about even up.  Chris has the advantage over me, because of his ears.  He's younger than me, and his hearing is just so much better.  But everything that I've dug, Chris would find on his machine, and everything that he's dug, sounds good on mine. 

I've been back to the one property 3 times now, finding junk and old stuff, but I did find a Lincoln Penny.  Junk.

Chris and I went to a property, just outside of town the other day.  You can see the junk he's holding.  Our best find was a 1946 Dime.  We found 2 dimes, 3 pennies and a bunch of junk.  2 wheat pennies.  

So, that's not bad for 2 guys, about 3 hours on a 70 acre property.  

Also found a decent ax head and some kind of something or other, one lady said that it's a "needle minder".  It's pretty neat.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here are a couple pics of the old foundation and chimney.  I've been on that property 3 times.   The grass is starting to kind of die off, but still too tall to detect.   

Chris and I are going out in a bit, try a new spot.  I'm confident, we'll find some junk.

 

IMG_3653.JPG

IMG_3652.JPG

IMG_3650.JPG

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting artifacts and misc. mystery metal collection you guys got there. If you get tired of waiting for the grass and weeds to die off, you might try using a manageable piece of plexiglass or plywood to help get your coils closer to to the ground. Might not hurt to have a hand held pin pointer to (cautiously), poke around in the rocks with.

Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Noise Cancel: Ground balance: Park 1 or Field 1: 50-tones (Silver High Tones really distinguishable): Recovery Speed 3: Iron bias 0: Notch out EVERYTHING below 22.

This is one of my "Cherry Picking" settings for the Equinox. Next time go low and slow just cherry picking and see what you come up with. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

While I have a chance I'll explain what we have in the box, from our last dig.  Nothing special really, we found about 7 coins, the best were wheat pennies.  

This is a different property from where the rock foundation is located.  Just so many places around where the grass and weeds are so tall, you just can't get to the ground.  Chris and I have tected I guess 4 different properties so far, different spots of the property and all.  

Probably the neatest find the other day was the little toy cap-gun in the top corner of the box.  It's pretty much intact.  

I forget the dates on the coins?  Wheat pennies are a nicest find.  But they were all dug coins.  The ground is really hard now, but our machines are working.  

The thing he's holding in his hand is some kind of hood ornament, one man guessed it was from a 50's or 60's Buick.  Not sure?  It's got a couple of bullet holes too.  

But I look at all of the junk that we've found, and it pretty much needs to be dug.  Now and then we'll get a pull tab, or bottle cap.  

But I've got some good places to go, just not much time.

Terry, you're over my head with your settings, I've only had this machine for 2 months.  But let me ask, with your settings would you still get Pennies and nickles?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Redsnow said:

While I have a chance I'll explain what we have in the box, from our last dig.  Nothing special really, we found about 7 coins, the best were wheat pennies.  

This is a different property from where the rock foundation is located.  Just so many places around where the grass and weeds are so tall, you just can't get to the ground.  Chris and I have tected I guess 4 different properties so far, different spots of the property and all.  

Probably the neatest find the other day was the little toy cap-gun in the top corner of the box.  It's pretty much intact.  

I forget the dates on the coins?  Wheat pennies are a nicest find.  But they were all dug coins.  The ground is really hard now, but our machines are working.  

The thing he's holding in his hand is some kind of hood ornament, one man guessed it was from a 50's or 60's Buick.  Not sure?  It's got a couple of bullet holes too.  

But I look at all of the junk that we've found, and it pretty much needs to be dug.  Now and then we'll get a pull tab, or bottle cap.  

But I've got some good places to go, just not much time.

Terry, you're over my head with your settings, I've only had this machine for 2 months.  But let me ask, with your settings would you still get Pennies and nickles?  

That hood ornament is from a 1955 Chevrolet, but the tail appears to be broken off or in this case possibly shot off :cowboypistol:, the 1955 has a long tail.

We had numerous 1955, 1956, 1957 and 1958 Chevrolets when I was a youngster.

Here's a photo of what the 1955 ornament would look like intact, a 1956 looks very similar but has a stubby tail and shorter wing fins.

Image 1 - Vintage 1955 Chevrolet Chevy Hood Ornament Jet Bird Plane #3709685

1956

Image 01 - 1956 Chevrolet Hood ornament 3731752

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...