Nugget Shooter Forums

So many Detectors?

Not sure if this goes here or in the store thread, but I am interested in a detector.

I had a cheaper one years ago, and it was not very good. I admit I don't know a whole lot about them, but from what I have seen I like that Minelab Goldmonster 1,000. I saw it as part of the GPAA lifetime membership deal, and started researching it, which is how I discovered Bill, and then this forum. 

The only thing I don't like is how often you have to ground ballance, but it's not a show stopper, just something to have to get used to.

I also like that GPX 6,000 but no way can I dig up that kind of $ right now, I think the wife would divorce me lol.

I  not ready to pull the trigger just yet, but I have seen Bills videos where he talks the Minelab 1,000 up pretty good.

I know there are lower cost detectors out there, but like I said, I already had a cheaper one and it was not that great. 

So bottom line, is the Minelab 1,000 a good entry level detector for me to focus on?

I like to research things before I buy, so that when I do buy, I know what I want, and that's what I get. I am not a compulsive buyer. I can always work up from there. I want a good detector. Maybe the Minelab 1,000 isn't the right detector for someone like me who is learning, but maybe it is. 

I really appreciate YouTube like Bill, because they are a wealth of information.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AZ Digger said:

Not sure if this goes here or in the store thread, but I am interested in a detector.

I had a cheaper one years ago, and it was not very good. I admit I don't know a whole lot about them, but from what I have seen I like that Minelab Goldmonster 1,000. I saw it as part of the GPAA lifetime membership deal, and started researching it, which is how I discovered Bill, and then this forum. 

The only thing I don't like is how often you have to ground ballance, but it's not a show stopper, just something to have to get used to.

I also like that GPX 6,000 but no way can I dig up that kind of $ right now, I think the wife would divorce me lol.

I  not ready to pull the trigger just yet, but I have seen Bills videos where he talks the Minelab 1,000 up pretty good.

I know there are lower cost detectors out there, but like I said, I already had a cheaper one and it was not that great. 

So bottom line, is the Minelab 1,000 a good entry level detector for me to focus on?

I like to research things before I buy, so that when I do buy, I know what I want, and that's what I get. I am not a compulsive buyer. I can always work up from there. I want a good detector. Maybe the Minelab 1,000 isn't the right detector for someone like me who is learning, but maybe it is. 

I really appreciate YouTube like Bill, because they are a wealth of information.

Thanks in advance.

I'll let others recommend a detector, I work to much and don't get out that often and I'm not in gold country so most of what I detect are relics, lost coins and jewelry mostly on beaches.

That being said I think you need to let everyone know what exactly are you wanting to detect, I assume it's gold since you're in Arizona but do you think you may also use the detector for other treasure such relics and old coins?  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

I'll let others recommend a detector, I work to much and don't get out that often and I'm not in gold country so most of what I detect are relics, lost coins and jewelry mostly on beaches.

That being said I think you need to let everyone know what exactly are you wanting to detect, I assume it's gold since you're in Arizona but do you think you may also use the detector for other treasure such relics and old coins?  

Mostly gold, but coins too 

I may be sticking my neck out a little but I don't look at the GM 1000 as an entry level detector although I know that many folks have started out that way. I don't own one and haven't used one, but I have hunted with several guys that used them. They are gold getters without a doubt. But, I have only seen them used in conjunction with a PI or as a choice of alternative detectors to nugget hunt with, not as a solitary unit. It is often said that a single detector is a tool in the tool box that fills a niche for a specific purpose and at certain locations, not all. I have found that to be pretty much the case. IMO, the problem(s) that you most likely will run into in AZ while detecting for gold will be dealing with mineralization (hot ground), hot rocks, and, as you mentioned, perhaps, ground balance. You might consider a good used PI which, in general, could go a long way in solving these issues for you. Until I started using the Equinox, I found more old coins and relics by far with a PI, since that what I usually was hunting gold with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BMc said:

I may be sticking my neck out a little but I don't look at the GM 1000 as an entry level detector although I know that many folks have started out that way. I don't own one and haven't used one, but I have hunted with several guys that used them. They are gold getters without a doubt. But, I have only seen them used in conjunction with a PI or as a choice of alternative detectors to nugget hunt with, not as a solitary unit. It is often said that a single detector is a tool in the tool box that fills a niche for a specific purpose and at certain locations, not all. I have found that to be pretty much the case. IMO, the problem(s) that you most likely will run into in AZ while detecting for gold will be dealing with mineralization (hot ground), hot rocks, and, as you mentioned, perhaps, ground balance. You might consider a good used PI which, in general, could go a long way in solving these issues for you. Until I started using the Equinox, I found more old coins and relics by far with a PI, since that what I usually was hunting gold with.

Thank you 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AZ Digger said:

So I just purchased the Equanox 800 and the small coil from Bill.

Cant wait to get it!

Good choice! Start saving for a PI. The learning curve you're on will likely take you there eventually. Maybe sooner than you think. 

• Like 1

Just now, BMc said:

Good choice! Start saving for a PI. The learning curve you're on will likely take you there eventually. Maybe sooner than you think. 

Thanks, yea I know how that game goes.

I did go on ahead and get the small coil too. It just made sense to me after researching. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AZ Digger said:

Thanks, yea I know how that game goes.

I did go on ahead and get the small coil too. It just made sense to me after researching. 

Absolutely! You won't regret it. 

• Like 3