Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums

Is this a meteorite


Recommended Posts

Hey everyone this is my first post as an annoying noob. But I promise I won't ask too many questions and I'll look up an answer before I post a question.

But this one I need help of the experiences members as I could search all day and still convince myself I have a rare meteorite.

Here's the pics thanks in advance

IMG_20210905_001043.jpg

IMG_20210905_000754.jpg

IMG_20210905_000701.jpg

IMG_20210905_000655.jpg

IMG_20210905_000710.jpg

IMG_20210905_000627.jpg

IMG_20210905_000509.jpg

IMG_20210905_000353.jpg

Edited by Irocku
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi there, from the posted pics it doesn’t fit most of the common characteristics of a meteorite. It’s water worn by the looks of it. 
 

There are several good resources for meteorite ID. To name a few, Rocks from Space by Richard O Norton, to start with. The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Meteorites, Geoff Notkin has some books as well. 
 

Also, to aid in your endeavors, look for a known strewn field where you live and search for the little ones that got by most. 
 

Try this site: https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Meteorites have metallic iron flakes, chondrules and fusion crust. Most are magnetic to some extent. 

I don't see any of these characteristics in this rock.

It does however have several terrestrial characteristics. It is water worn. It is flat. It has what appears to be a granular matrix rich in quartz. Meteorites never have quartz as a major component of the matrix and many terrestrial rocks do.

So in my opinion it has no meteoritic characteristics at all. It looks like a good skipping stone. Which is kind of a meteorite if you think about it.

Look for dark iron rich stones that stick to a magnet. If your rock does not pass this test you can pretty much toss it. If you find one that sticks to a magnet and has metal flakes and/or chondrules in it you have a winner. Otherwise it just isn't a meteorite.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 7:16 AM, Bedrock Bob said:

Meteorites have metallic iron flakes, chondrules and fusion crust. Most are magnetic to some extent. 

I don't see any of these characteristics in this rock.

It does however have several terrestrial characteristics. It is water worn. It is flat. It has what appears to be a granular matrix rich in quartz. Meteorites never have quartz as a major component of the matrix and many terrestrial rocks do.

So in my opinion it has no meteoritic characteristics at all. It looks like a good skipping stone. Which is kind of a meteorite if you think about it.

Look for dark iron rich stones that stick to a magnet. If your rock does not pass this test you can pretty much toss it. If you find one that sticks to a magnet and has metal flakes and/or chondrules in it you have a winner. Otherwise it just isn't a meteorite.

Thanks for the reply.

After reading what you said I went and got a magnet and sure enough it stuck to it 😁.

I then got my Dremel and ground away the side with a stone not a metal bit and I see some metallic flakes not many and not big but still metallic flakes.

Does this mean it's a meteorite?

I'm assuming volcanic rocks or skipping stones lol  aren't magnetic

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Irocku said:

I'm assuming volcanic rocks or skipping stones lol  aren't magnetic

 

 

 

There are many volcanic rocks that will attract a magnet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Irocku said:

Thanks for the reply.

After reading what you said I went and got a magnet and sure enough it stuck to it 😁.

I then got my Dremel and ground away the side with a stone not a metal bit and I see some metallic flakes not many and not big but still metallic flakes.

Does this mean it's a meteorite?

I'm assuming volcanic rocks or skipping stones lol  aren't magnetic

 

 

 

Clear photos of the metallic flakes please.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Irocku said:

Thanks for the reply.

After reading what you said I went and got a magnet and sure enough it stuck to it 😁.

I then got my Dremel and ground away the side with a stone not a metal bit and I see some metallic flakes not many and not big but still metallic flakes.

Does this mean it's a meteorite?

I'm assuming volcanic rocks or skipping stones lol  aren't magneti

Many rocks have what appears to be metallic flakes but in reality are just glistening minerals. The pictures you posted are 100 percent not meteorites.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...