Nugget Shooter Forums

Does anyone know what happened to NVChris

Used to run on too him around Rye Patch , very knowledgeable person.  lost a lot of my contacts and info about areas and contacts when my place burned and just never could recover them. According to the forum he has not posted since 2017 ?

Max

Thanks Bill .I guess my search feature needs renewing ! I was working the Mill City/Unionville area before I ever knew  there was a Rye Patch. Found an old campsite for a mining area that was an acre or more of flat tin cans , all appeared to be beans! Nearby was some old tunnels. Thinking old coins or lost nuggets  we raked back a large area to detect , found some military metals from the battles in Cuba , Silver coins, old Indian head pennies , rifle cartridges of odd calibers, trade tokens, and one hand made gold watch fob or as one person speculated a fancy closure for a gold pouch, initialed T. D. . Stopped again on our way north the next year and there was an outfit air drilling  for a mining company , blowing it out and bagging it for assay. They were so obnoxious and ill mannered but admitted not to be the clam holders. It was Friday and payday for them , we left and camped nearby. At noon they all loaded up and left for Winnemucca . I ran some  the deepest samples and found nothing. Left a note in one of the bags telling the assayer they were just bagging sand from the road side. A couple of  years after that when we had moved over to Rye patch there was no activity all all. At that spot.  Those were some good times at the outings. There was a guy who only detected the road , I can't remember his name but he found nuggets.

And the old guy with the quartz crystals !!

Those were the days, gone now no doubt. I'ii look Chris's web site.

Max

• Like 2
  • wow 1

Max,

I made a few trips up there and researched the south side of the 80 prospects but never made it there.  I stopped in Mill City/Imlay area one Sunday and met a guy who has old cars in a warehouse there.  He told me about a lot of big gold finds from the past.  The guy you are talking about who got all the crystals was kicked out of the Rye Patch area and he was in the Eugenes as of 4 years or so ago.  His health was failing so I don't know.

I'd sure like to know more of your stories and where gold was found up in that area.  Most of it will never be recorded.  

Mitchel

• Like 1

Hey Max,

Last I heard, maybe 3 years ago, NV Chris was still up in the Rye Patch area and had been working at First Gold's relief canyon mine. He may be living in the Lovelock area. Reno Chris (Chris Ralph,) Bill's compadre, would likely know where he is these days if anybody does, since they used to connect on the forums and by telephone.

Just FYI, Hard to say how old the information is. Good luck.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nugget Shooter said:

I now know who you mean Chris Porter?

Probably so! My memory goes off sometimes, he was the one that stopped  by where I  was camped on the  Mill City side of the highway and I kept hearing about the RABBIT HOLES, he told me about that side of the road. When over there with the club the next few years good times, funny people , one meeting I remember in particular some where going to camp at the R/V park below the dam. My wife and I where already there and parked. This person , a popular member ( I won,t tell his name even if I remembered, he had his spot reserved.) A lot of the members was already parked and when he arrived he had a brand new nice travel trailer, with a front door and a rear door. Well he got out the front door and all the guys were meeting and greeting him with a beer in hand. After a time he said well I got to get set up and went inside, shortly afterward he exited the back door sans steps and did a spectacular face plant on the asphalt ! A little first aid and a few  more beers and he was ready to detect ! Some would stay at the motel , some would camp just past the chain link fence marking the BLM boundary , some would camp out on the claims , a few would stay in Winniemucca and drive back and forth. Those days are probably gone for ever ! Do some of you remember the outings at Little San Domingo when you could hardly find a place to park an R/V and the potlucks ?  Will we ever recover to those days? Makes me want to cry when I drive out there and there  is no one at all . 

Max

• Like 4

Good Times for sure Max! Hopefully again someday . . .

13 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Max,

I made a few trips up there and researched the south side of the 80 prospects but never made it there.  I stopped in Mill City/Imlay area one Sunday and met a guy who has old cars in a warehouse there.  He told me about a lot of big gold finds from the past.  The guy you are talking about who got all the crystals was kicked out of the Rye Patch area and he was in the Eugenes as of 4 years or so ago.  His health was failing so I don't know.

I'd sure like to know more of your stories and where gold was found up in that area.  Most of it will never be recorded.  

Mitchel

Mitchel , I sort of found the place by accident,  But there are lots of areas on that side of the  highway from Lovelock to Battle Mt. and associated Mt. Ranges , if I had of had the rig I have now,  A 2010 FJ CRUISER none of it would have beyond my reach !  I was just reading old books and articles and decided to check it out on our way north. Followed an old road back to a deep dry wash , nearby was a new stream diversion by fish and game with weirs and stuff running above the old dry wash , the weirs had trout sheltered in them, looked yummy! Where we first parked there was an old log cabin built into the side of of the dry wash , It was in fair shape still, there  was an occupied house on the highway where I turned off. The road  ran further west back to the old mining areas. It had tunnels and shafts and was very trashy , some evidence of MDing but not much.  Many old building sites long gone. Metal Detectors in those days where not what we have now!  Rake-Detect, repeat ! Getting back to my stories , the old log cabin was built with huge logs , not from the area for sure , setting on solid bedrock. I detected inside, NADA , outside NADA ! Found one spot about halfway on the outside wall that was a little eroded and big enough to shove my small coil under the log ! BONG , blew my earphones off . Didn't have anything but a screwdriver handy to dig with and could not rake the target out with it. SO I laid down and ran my hand and arm in under the log to feel in the bedrock crack , something moved and I squeezed hell out of it thinking it was a scorpion , letting go of one is the wrong thing to do. Scraping the back of my hand and almost tearing off fingernails on the bedrock I threw it down and it was a baby rattlesnake! Then I tried a piece of wire NADA! and no rattles of a momma I was still getting a huge signal! Having no chain saw I ran my hand back under the log and fingers down in the crack and felt a large coin, getting it between two fingers  i slowly wiggled it out and it was the best silver dollar I have ever found !  An 1878 S mint mark , a little dark around the edge but I would class it as almost uncirculated , no detail is worn.  BUT a tiny scratch on her cheek, another on her chin and one by the 4th star form the left of the date and one between her nose and and the last star. Really tiny but obviously from my efforts with the wire. At one of the mine sites my wife detected the top portion of a Spanish American War metal, it hung with the flag between them and the serial # was on the bottom half. The next year we went bach and raked some more tin cans and she found the other half! Had it restored , ID'ed the holder but everyone who server got the metal. It burned and never found again in our house fire  008 now forgot his name and lost all the records too! Saved the silver dollar , it was with some one else at the time , lost 5000 silver half dollars most of my gold, Don't store gold in plastic containers , they all melt to a black blob and there are hundreds if not thousands in a home. The nuggets in metal containers mostly survived. As soon as the looky loos came around and found a silver half dollar in the sand we almost had to have a 24 hour guard it cost 6000 dollars  to scoop up all the wreckage and I had the top layer of sand scrapped uo too, and haul it off and I sold the lot and its grown up and abandoned now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • wow 1

Great stories of Northern Nevada Max, keep them coming!! Pegleg John was the crystal hunters name. My little brother and i met him for the first time around 1998 or so. Could be off a year or two. But man did he have the crystal collection! It took several hours for him to show us his collection and he was proud of it. We would stop by and visit him everytime we went to Majuba after that. Very nice feller. Then we met another ol feller up at Willow Creek named Ken. Never got his last name unfortunately. My brother and i camped on the other side of the creek from him while waiting for my dad to come up the next morning. We were just sleeping in the back of the truck when the rain and lightning came in super bad. Ken waved us over to hang out in his trailer until it stopped. While in there he showed us pounds and pounds of nuggets!! He has been digging up above the old Thacker ranch for years and years and kept all of his gold in cigar tubes. I was still a senior  in high school and just starting out prospecting. Seeing all of those nuggets was amazing!! Then we moved on to his mineral collection that he had collected over the years. Out came the blacklight to check them all out haha. It was so cool. The next day, he took my brother my dad and i up and showed us where to dig up there. We all dug some amazing gold that day. Those were the days for sure. I truly miss some of the old timers that roamed the Nevada desert back then. It would be amazing to have those times back again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

Great stories of Northern Nevada Max, keep them coming!! Pegleg John was the crystal hunters name. My little brother and i met him for the first time around 1998 or so. Could be off a year or two. But man did he have the crystal collection! It took several hours for him to show us his collection and he was proud of it. We would stop by and visit him every time we went to Majuba after that. Very nice feller. Then we met another ol feller up at Willow Creek named Ken. Never got his last name unfortunately. My brother and i camped on the other side of the creek from him while waiting for my dad to come up the next morning. We were just sleeping in the back of the truck when the rain and lightning came in super bad. Ken waved us over to hang out in his trailer until it stopped. While in there he showed us pounds and pounds of nuggets!! He has been digging up above the old Thacker ranch for years and years and kept all of his gold in cigar tubes. I was still a senior  in high school and just starting out prospecting. Seeing all of those nuggets was amazing!! Then we moved on to his mineral collection that he had collected over the years. Out came the blacklight to check them all out haha. It was so cool. The next day, he took my brother my dad and i up and showed us where to dig up there. We all dug some amazing gold that day. Those were the days for sure. I truly miss some of the old timers that roamed the Nevada desert back then. It would be amazing to have those times back again.

Very Cool Dan! Looks like you've been sandbagging us on the story telling! :)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Pegleg John was the crystal hunters name.

I met him one time.  Many knew him well.  He handed us some crystals.

Now he had many, many gold stories too.  He pointed in a direction of some mountains to the north and said that was where the BIG nuggets had been found.  That would be North of the Eugenes.

When was the last time anyone heard about him?

Slim knows a lot about that area up there too.  We visited with him in his old RV.

• Like 3

North of the Eugene's is Blue Mountain. The feller that got us into prospecting had a little prospecting and detecting shop where i am from. He had 2 buddies that had claims on Blue Mountain. I got to see a bunch of the big species that came out of there being found with detectors. Beautiful snow white quartz chunks with gold shot all through them. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

North of the Eugene's is Blue Mountain. The feller that got us into prospecting had a little prospecting and detecting shop where i am from. He had 2 buddies that had claims on Blue Mountain. I got to see a bunch of the big species that came out of there being found with detectors. Beautiful snow white quartz chunks with gold shot all through them. 

Back in the 90's a friend of mine found a 17 ouncer and a 23 ouncer with a detector at Blue Mountain. I was with two other people that excavated one of the main washes coming off that mountain. But we never reached bedrock so we don't know if there was anything in the wash or not. It was a worthwhile gamble but didn't pay off in the end..at least not for us.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Morlock said:

Back in the 90's a friend of mine found a 17 ouncer and a 23 ouncer with a detector at Blue Mountain. I was with two other people that excavated one of the main washes coming off that mountain. But we never reached bedrock so we don't know if there was anything in the wash or not. It was a worthwhile gamble but didn't pay off in the end..at least not for us.

Boy Steve, I can't help but getting fired up everytime these stories come back around again. I always found it interesting that the location where those monster nuggets were found, varied, depending on who you talked to. That's only natural I suppose, given the reluctance to pinpoint where something that valuable came from.  The first story I heard was an "eyewitness" account that placed T-Bone's big find near Blue Mt., which I believe to be credible.

Bud Young, who lived in Meyer told me he was hunting with a group of guys, including Terry near Blue Mt., when the find was made. The story was interesting, funny and instructive.  But there are a few other accounts from reputable people that refer to, "The Eugene's" as the location. Again, I think that's understandable, not only due to secrecy, but between those two areas, as you know, is Jungo Rd., and depending on which side of the road you are on, there might be a slightly different reference point, IMO. 

I thought I would post some photographs of big nuggets from that area for anyone that hadn't already seen them. The first photo is a 23 oz nugget found by Richard (2lb Dick), Bailey, in 1999 The second photo is the famous 27 oz nugget found by Terry Bone (T-Bone) in 1996, I believe.

I nugget hunted with Dick Bailey at the location where his nugget was found at the North end of the Eugene's and his dig hole (or someone's), was still visible. He gave me the photo of the nugget, which he sold for $15,000.00 and bought a mobile home which he was living in the last time I saw him, there in Imlay. He found quite a few other nice nuggets in that same area. I had pizza and beer with him at a friends house in Imlay the day before he hit the big one. I was supposed to have gone out with him the next day but I took off for Wyoming since it was starting to get hot in NV. I found gold in WY, but nothing like that. 

DICK BAILEY NUGGET.PNG

T-BONES NUGGET.PNG

TERRY BONE WITH NUGGET.PNG

• Like 2
  • well done 1

Ahhhhh the good old days and used to hang out at the gold nugget cafe in Wickenburg so many years back and met T Bone and Tony Pancake along with Jim Straight. Terry showed me some good areas in the Kirkland area. I still hunt some of those patches with claim owners permission.

wS a sad day when we lost George when his loader crushed him back there

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nugget Shooter said:

Ahhhhh the good old days and used to hang out at the gold nugget cafe in Wickenburg so many years back and met T Bone and Tony Pancake along with Jim Straight. Terry showed me some good areas in the Kirkland area. I still hunt some of those patches with claim owners permission.

wS a sad day when we lost George when his loader crushed him back there

Very sad and tragic event the way it played out. 

I was in JW's store one day when Bud Young came in with a film canister of nuggets he had just found, and after being introduced, Bud asked me if I wanted to go out detecting the next day. I had just bought an SD 2200d from JW and we all agreed to go together. Bud then invited me outside to to take a look at his new truck. It was a white Dodge with a green ATV in the back. He motioned for me to open the glove box and hand him the mason quart jar that was about 3/4 full of good sized nuggets which he proceeded to dump his canister gold into. We talked a few minutes and when I went back inside, JW told me he was surprised that Bud was going detecting since he had been spooked about what had happened to George, then T-Bone who was killed at Pronto crossing, and another member of the group who had been killed in a vehicle accident. Three out of five killed in a short time. He said Bud hadn't gone out hardly at all in over 2 years and another friend of theirs (I won't mention the name), hadn't left his ranch either, for the same reason. 

Many, if not most of the amazing Gold stories, where pounds of nuggets were picked up sometimes in minutes, never got written down, or recorded, and the locations mostly lost except to the those who were around to be a part of them. T-Bone's legacy continues to inspire though, mainly due to people like Jim Straight and web sites like this.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, nugget108 said:

I love that area!

When you talk about this area you can include Sawtooth and some of the nuggets found around there.  Nurse Paul found a nice nugget around there near the old cars.

• Like 1

Oh heck yeah! Sawtooth, Placeritas, Rabbit Hole and Scoccia are all awesome to detect and drywash.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

Oh heck yeah! Sawtooth, Placeritas, Rabbit Hole and Scoccia are all awesome to detect and drywash.

I think it's all pretty well picked clean by now Dan . . . :)

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

I always said just throw a dart at the map, turn on your beeper and keep it on the ground. 
I know that some people have become protective of their active claims and you have to respect that but the locals have gone wherever they want whenever they want for a long time. 
I'm not sure of the current status but the land west of Sawtooth all the way to the Hycroft Mine (Sulfur Mining District) was blanket claimed by Allied and they didn't care if anyone was out there beeping unless it was where they were actively working. 

Here's a little eye candy...

nugget3.jpg

Edited by Dakota Slim
  • Like 3
  • well done 1

I still love that picture Slim! I never did find any chunks like that out there but im not done with those areas yet lol. Since i have really learned what the ol 5000 says to me now, i think if i go hit all of our old areas, i might squeeze out a chunker.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

I still love that picture Slim! I never did find any chunks like that out there but im not done with those areas yet lol. Since i have really learned what the ol 5000 says to me now, i think if i go hit all of our old areas, i might squeeze out a chunker.

I'd say that all the quartz & schist outcroppings have been beeped repeatedly with every machine you can imagine. You have to think outside the box.
Montana always said that gold doesn't go far in the desert and that is especially true in much of the NV outback. BUT, nobody knows what that desert looked like a million years ago. The area that looks flat today might not have been flat eons ago when the gold formed. I have no doubt that there are many very rich pockets out there that have never seen a detector.  

• Like 4