Nugget Shooter Forums

Which rock is this?

Iron stained quartz, then. Still looks like a tumbled tooth...even down to the cracks in the enamel...

How do you know it is not?

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Iron stained quartz, then. Still looks like a tumbled tooth...even down to the cracks in the enamel...

How do you know it is 

If you still think it is a tooth then of which animal it could be? I think it would be of a  carnivore. But the sad thing is it a rock :cry2:

And I don't know which rock it is.

6 hours ago, Sketch said:

If you think it is a tooth than pls tell me how it is? Because I really want this to be a tooth.

The enamel, surface grain, the cracks,   translucence, staining, cavities.  It looks like a molar.

Edited by Guest

12 hours ago, Sketch said:

If you still think it is a tooth then of which animal it could be? I think it would be of a  carnivore. 

Could be  an incisor... molar would need more roots,I believe.

It's a white carbanodo.

:rolleyes:

I would call it jasper. But then I often jump to conclusions just to be proved wrong later.

This happens so often that my opinions are often disregarded. After all I know very little about rocks and mostly rely on Google for my knowledge.

:idunno:

All silicates will streak white. Jasper, agate and chalcedony are all silicates. Basically variations of glass. 

What you have is a dead ringer for a jasper nodule. It's shape, color and finish all indicate jasper. So does the streak.

Guys will argue all night the differences between jasper and agate. There is no definite line there. They are both microcrystalline silica. But in general if it is opaque it is jasper. If it is translucent it is agate.

You have an opaque silicate. For all practical purposes it is jasper. 

They tumble nicely and are easy to get a good polish on. Yours is not the most beautiful patterns...jasper can really be stunning... But it is a good tumbler and if you have a bowl full of them they make quite the spectacle.

Where there is one there are usually many. So keep them in a pile somewhere and tumble them when you get enough for a batch.