Nugget Shooter Forums

Copper biscuit found in my backyard while digging.

Very interesting find. 

In order to find out how it got in your backyard..you'd have to go out and do some research on the history of the property where it was found as well as the people who lived on it. But that doesn't  guarantee a successful outcome. 

Edited by Morlock

23 minutes ago, Sketch said:

It think it was made to fool .

You're right.

Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your emails.

From what we can see from the photo, the copper bar appears to be a fake/counterfeit version of a JM gold bar. JM used to produce gold bars, but we excited that business about 6-7years ago. We have never produced copper bars in any format, so we cannot authenticate the bar.

Sorry we could not assist you on this occasion.

Kind regards,

Bob.

I was thinking perhaps they actually did produce copper and gave the bars out as souvenirs.

I can see that the spelling of the name Matthey is spelled wrong.  They replaced a 'T' with an 'I'.  Also someone sawed into the bar quite to see if it was real.  Still quite an oddity and should be researched.  

old Tom

• well done 3

The hallmark appears to be misspelled. And it looks cast and not struck. 

It looks like there could be some silver plating down in the lettering. They did make 10 tolas silver bars.

Betcha it was silver plated. That saw mark was where someone discovered it was plated. 

Those were 10 tolas in silver or gold. A copper ingot of the same mass would be lighter. So a quick weight would tell you if it was plated in the past. It would weigh 10 tolas. It wouldn't do much good to make a fake gold or silver bar that didn't weigh right. 

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Edited to completely freak people out.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It looks like there could be some silver plating down in the lettering. They did make 10 tolas silver bars.

Betcha it was silver plated. That saw mark was where someone discovered it was plated. 

Those were 10 tolas in silver or gold. A copper ingot of the same mass would be lighter. So a quick weight would tell you if it was plated in the past. It would weigh 10 tolas. It wouldn't do much good to make a fake gold or silver bar that didn't weigh right. 

So you want to tell that it was plated with silver 

8 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

But how do you know that lettering is being plated with silver?

So it looks as though con artists and swindlers may have lived on or used the property at one time. Who knows, there may have even been some bodies buried somewhere there as well!  Very cool find!

15 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

So it looks as though con artists and swindlers may have lived on or used the property at one time. Who knows, there may have even been some bodies buried somewhere there as well!  Very cool find!

May be!

37 minutes ago, Sketch said:

But how do you know that lettering is being plated with silver?

I don't. But a copper bar does not make sense. I think it is safe to assume that it was plated at some point. And in the first pics it looked like there could be some silver plating left down in the letters. 

The second set of photos dont look like that.

It was either a fake silver bar or a fake gold one. You can decide for yourself which one it was. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I don't. But a copper bar does not make sense. I think it is safe to assume that it was plated at some point. And in the first pics it looked like there could be some silver plating left down in the letters. 

The second set of photos dont look like that.

It was either a fake silver bar or a fake gold one. You can decide for yourself which one it was. 

I’d go with it was silver; the lack of enough mass if it were intended to be a gold bar would be a dead giveaway that it was fake. I’d expect they’d have used a lead filled bar if was intended to be gold.  It’s a unique find though, what a story it must have, but maybe it was just a cheap souvenir?

Edited by GotAU?
  • Like 2