Nugget Shooter Forums

Oriented meteorite or random shape of the stone ?

It does look like a barnacle of some sort. If that is a fossil it is the clearest fossil agate I've ever seen. 

It would sure explain the funky shape. But chalcedony does wierd things too.

I guess the possibility of that being a fossil is not so far fetched. It's an awesome little rock. I think it is a blob of red carnelian now that I see some more photos. But if some smooth talker with a bunch of degrees tried to tell me it was a petrified oyster I would probably believe him.

Poor Mikestang. The mineral discussion keeps bubbling up on the meteorite forum. We need to figure out where to take these conversations so these hardcore meteorite guys have some room to breathe. 

I love these photo ID threads. But we have a lot of real experienced guys here that speak fluent meteorite. Petrified oysters probably drive them crazy. I don't want our little rock party to interfere with their section of the forum. I hope they aren't too aggravated by it. 

Edited by Bedrock Bob
This post has been edited and could be leftist propaganda.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It does look like a barnacle of some sort. If that is a fossil it is the clearest fossil agate I've ever seen. 

It would sure explain the funky shape. But chalcedony does wierd things too.

I guess the possibility of that being a fossil is not so far fetched. It's an awesome little rock. 

What about a cast of a fossil shell that  was then replaced by campfire glass(or other  silicious  material :brows:of color)?:m2c:

56 minutes ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

It resembles an oyster shell or similar.

As much as I hate to admit it you are not completely without brilliance. 

You nailed the petrified camel toe. I have to give you that. Nailed it good.

And now you come with this seafood theory that is just bizarre enough to be possible.

The base of the thing does show symmetry. And the pleats do look like a freaking barnacle. 

You are an aggravating rascal is what you are Stillheaving Hillbuster. I'm not sure whether I want to buy you lunch or pee on your tomato plants.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

You nailed the petrified camel toe. I have to give you that. Nailed it good.

And now you come with this seafood theory that is just bizarre enough to be possible.

The base of the thing does show symmetry. And the pleats do look like a freaking barnacle. 

You are an aggravating rascal is what you are Stillheaving Hillbuster. I'm not sure whether I want to buy you lunch or pee on your tomato plants.

Is that some sort of an “I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve” type of compliment, Bob?:yesss: Sounds ike you’re all chumbs again!  

Good job on the back and forth hypothesizing on what that specimen may be,  I think you guys narrowed it down to what it isn’t and maybe even closer to what it is.

5 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

You nailed the petrified camel toe.

Ah shucks, you ol' proterozic coprolite, you dont mean that.

You say that to all the tinpans.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Greg352 said:

Thank you for all analysis and suggestions. This rock was found in south-west Poland on the field (clay soil).Not much to say about this area...

Weight = 58 g

Density: 2.75 g/cm3 (Archmiedes Principle) not 2.14 (my mistake)

Below more photos:

IMG-20210809-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20210809-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20210809-WA0003.jpgIMG-20210809-WA0004.jpgIMG-20210809-WA0005.jpgIMG-20210809-WA0006.jpgIMG-20210809-WA0007.jpgIMG-20210809-WA0016.jpgIMG-20210809-WA0017.jpgIMG-20210809-WA0018.jpgIMG-20210809-WA0019.jpgIMG-20210809-WA0020.jpgIMG-20210809-WA0015.jpgIMG-20210809-WA0014.jpgIMG-20210809-WA0013.jpgIMG-20210809-WA0012.jpgIMG-20210809-WA0011.jpg

And here photos with sunlight.

20210809-173729.jpg

20210809-173755.jpg20210809-173806.jpg20210809-173850.jpg20210809-173900.jpg

Edited by Greg352

On 8/10/2021 at 10:14 AM, BobAK said:

After all this I thought agate from the start

Maybe agate replaced a shell fossil :idunno: