Nugget Shooter Forums

DIY Metal Detector Project Help

GotAU?

I am teaching a tech class this year for 6th and 7th grades, part of which will be about electronics and also using CAD.  I was looking at this detector plan and think it may work well for students. One idea I had was to have them design and mill out the trace patterns with a little CNC router on a copper clad board to make wiring the thing more easy and hopefully more accurate for them.

Anyways, has anyone made a simple detector and have any advice for this?

I want to make one ahead of time to see if this will work on coins to have the students go dig a bunch of holes while they chase coins in the coach’s field- I owe him one!:D

Well, just kidding but this thing may work out for them and it will be a good intro to detecting! So here is the design I was looking at:

https://www.pbs.org/weta/roughscience/series3/metaldetector/page1.html

6 hours ago, GotAU? said:

I am teaching a tech class this year for 6th and 7th grades, part of which will be about electronics and also using CAD.  I was looking at this detector plan and think it may work well for students. One idea I had was to have them design and mill out the trace patterns with a little CNC router on a copper clad board to make wiring the thing more easy and hopefully more accurate for them.

Anyways, has anyone made a simple detector and have any advice for this?

I want to make one ahead of time to see if this will work on coins to have the students go dig a bunch of holes while they chase coins in the coach’s field- I owe him one!:D

Well, just kidding but this thing may work out for them and it will be a good intro to detecting! So here is the design I was looking at:

https://www.pbs.org/weta/roughscience/series3/metaldetector/page1.html

Is there suppose to be a tutorial on making a metal detector at that link?

All I saw was the title and 3 photos, but nothing else.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

Is there suppose to be a tutorial on making a metal detector at that link?

All I saw was the title and 3 photos, but nothing else.

You’ll have to put on your reading glasses like I did. It has a very small blue dot arrow below the pics to continue to turn the page.  It’s not a very well designed webpage.  to make it useful, I am going to have to copy it all and reformat it into a document with imbedded images.

Edited by GotAU?
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GotAU? said:

You’ll have to put on your reading glasses like I did. It has a very small blue dot arrow below the pics to continue to turn the page.  It’s not a very well designed webpage.  to make it useful, I am going to have to copy it all and reformat it into a document with imbedded images.

Ah-ha, now I understand why I didn't see that "dot", I have my computer screen set to 125% so I don't have to put on my reading glasses :olddude: and as such I don't see the full right side of the page unless I scroll sideways.  

• Haha 1