Nugget Shooter Forums

Active Fire Map

Dakota Slim

Lots of people are being evacuated because of fires in the West and Northwest. I know people who have had to leave their homes or camp spot in both CA & OR in the last week or so. This map shows the current fires along with their size and % of containment. New fires are starting daily and this is not a good time to be in a drought stricken forest.

https://www.esri.com/en-us/disaster-response/disasters/wildfires

Edited by Dakota Slim
  • Like 1

Overnight...

Raging wildfire destroys parts of Northern California Gold Rush town

Three-week-old Dixie Fire was California's largest wildfire

The Dixie Fire, swollen by bone-dry vegetation and 40-mph gusts, raged through the northern Sierra Nevada town of Greenville Wednesday evening. A gas station, hotel and bar were among many structures gutted in the town, which dates to California’s Gold Rush era and has some buildings more than a century old.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/raging-wildfire-northern-california-gold-rush-town

Edited by Dakota Slim
  • Sad 1

Good grief! Looking at that map, it looks like the whole state of CA. is on fire! 
Wow!
Tom H. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TomH said:

Good grief! Looking at that map, it looks like the whole state of CA. is on fire! 
Wow!
Tom H. 

Yep. Much the same in OR, WA, ID & MT. Lots of adversely affected lives and lost timber, unfortunately. 

We need a new plan for state and national forests. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

Yep. Much the same in OR, WA, ID & MT. Lots of adversely affected lives and lost timber, unfortunately. 

We need a new plan for state and national forests. 

Maybe we should start raking the forests.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1

1 hour ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Invest in forestry machine futures.

A friend of mine once said "Money is like manure. If you pile it up it stinks but if you spread it around it makes things grow."
The big forests have proven to be too big to manage. IMHO, they should be broken up into smaller more manageable pieces. 
Maybe sell enough off to pay down the national debt and increase tax revenue but first we need to put out the fires.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1

58 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

A friend of mine once said "Money is like manure. If you pile it up it stinks but if you spread it around it makes things grow."
The big forests have proven to be too big to manage. IMHO, they should be broken up into smaller more manageable pieces. 
Maybe sell enough off to pay down the national debt and increase tax revenue but first we need to put out the fires.

You support selling public land and putting it in private hands?

Fire danger is high. Simply because nature is taking its course is a poor reason to divest ourselves from our greatest treasure.

Forest management has little to do with the fires. Climate and extreme drought has a lot to do with it. Do you suppose the fires wouldn't burn so hot if some rich guy owned the national forests?

Just my opinion. I'm sure you will disagree.

If we sold big chunks of public land who do you suppose would buy them? Do you think the new owners would let you hunt and fish on their new private ranch? Would your tax dollars still be used to fight fires on their private estate?

How would the sale of our public lands increase tax revenue? That just does not make any sense to me. Can you clarify? 

The land belongs to the American people. Why should our government be authorized to divest and redirect that wealth to private entities? It seems contrary to the very purpose of public land.

• Like 4
  • Hmmmmmm 1

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

The land belongs to the American people. Why should our government be authorized to divest and redirect that wealth to private entities? It seems contrary to the very purpose of public land.

Bob ,they already already have the right to do that at least in Arizona.  Governor Ducy sold off a whole lot of our public lands right after he got elected to office.  Some of those lands were good gold producers too. They were supposed to be earmarked for State Education.  They don't need special permission there is always a way around rules if the people don't object.  However I do agree with you.  

Old Tom  

• Like 3

Men in the West are free because of public lands. 

Without them we would all be Texans.

There has been a lot of talk about selling public lands by a certain political party. Pushing that agenda here is tacky. Especially in a group so closely tied to public land issues.

The common land in New Mexico was taken from the rightful owners and the prime land was sold to the wealthy. The rest was designated as National Forest. These were lands deeded to the people under the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo. 

We have a little different view about the subject than most because of what happened back then. If any group or person supports taking our birthright again they are our natural enemy. And we made that plain about 4 years ago when they tried to do it. Anyone that didn't get the message then is in for a rude awakening if they try it again.

Forests may burn in extreme drought. But Santa Fe will burn if they try to peddle our beautiful mountains to some wealthy gabacho.

Tierra o muerte! Viva Los Gorras Blanco! Viva Nuevo Mejico!

• Like 3
  • wow 1

Men in the West are free because of public lands. 

Without them we would all be Texans.

There has been a lot of talk about selling public lands by a certain political party. Pushing that agenda here is tacky. Especially in a group so closely tied to public land issues.

The common land in New Mexico was taken from the rightful owners and the prime land was sold to the wealthy. The rest was designated as National Forest. These were lands deeded to the people under the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo. 

We have a little different view about the subject than most because of what happened back then. If any group or person supports taking our birthright again they are our natural enemy. And we made that plain about 4 years ago when they tried to do it. Anyone that didn't get the message then is in for a rude awakening if they try it again.

Forests may burn in extreme drought. But Santa Fe will burn if they try to peddle our beautiful mountains to some wealthy gabacho.

Tierra o muerte! Viva Los Gorras Blanco! Viva Nuevo Mejico!

I am not going to the Mods behind any ones back, but I am respectfully requesting that somebody please do something about this type of radical political inflammatory crap that we have had to put up with for much too long, IMO.

It's not cute, funny or even satirical. It is Radical Left Wing Revolutionary Propaganda which doesnt have any place on this forum, IMO, (at least for my 2 pennies worth) Demonstrations, Protest(s) and hate speech are all protected in certain venues but on the forum this kind of stuff is way over the top for me. 

BOBBY HARDING-PROTEST PHOTO.PNG

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

You support selling public land and putting it in private hands?

If it is mismanaged forest I do.

Fire danger is high. Simply because nature is taking its course is a poor reason to divest ourselves from our greatest treasure.

Loggers did a great job of protecting our forests for 300 years. Thousands of square miles of forests are now a wasteland. 

Forest management has little to do with the fires. Climate and extreme drought has a lot to do with it. Do you suppose the fires wouldn't burn so hot if some rich guy owned the national forests?

Where did you get that?

Just my opinion. I'm sure you will disagree.

And that is precisely why you came in here trolling me. Why don't you give it a rest?

If we sold big chunks of public land who do you suppose would buy them? Do you think the new owners would let you hunt and fish on their new private ranch? Would your tax dollars still be used to fight fires on their private estate?

So many off point questions. 

How would the sale of our public lands increase tax revenue? That just does not make any sense to me. Can you clarify? 

Do you pay taxes on your land? 

The government authorized itself to do a lot of things that took away the people's right to pursue happiness on public lands but this thread is about active fires. 
What caused them and how to prevent future fires is an obvious concern of most people.

It's not "radical left wing" to disagree with selling off our national forests to the highest bidder. 

It is radical right wing to suggest it.

Nothing I have posted is political in any way. The idea that we preserve our public lands and keep them public is not political. It is just western values.

It's not protest. It's not hate speech. It is just my opinion. Something that some of you fellows just can't seem to tolerate.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It's not "radical left wing" to disagree with selling off our national forests to the highest bidder. 

It is radical right wing to suggest it.

Nothing I have posted is political in any way. The idea that we preserve our public lands and keep them public is not political. 

It's not protest. It's not hate speech. It is just my opinion. Something that some of you fellows just can't seem to tolerate.

"Nothing I have posted is political in any way"

"We have a little different view about the subject than most because of what happened back then. If any group or person supports taking our birthright again they are our natural enemy. And we made that plain about 4 years ago when they tried to do it. Anyone that didn't get the message then is in for a rude awakening if they try it again. Forests may burn in extreme drought. But Santa Fe will burn if they try to peddle our beautiful mountains to some wealthy gabacho. Tierra o muerte! Viva Los Gorras Blanco! Viva Nuevo Mejico!

Not Hate speech? What do you call Land or Death? (Tierra o muerte!) And Los Garros Blanco was clearly a political and a vigilante movement. You also made it a racist issue with your divisive and pejorative use of Gabacho, as if public land was only "owned" by non-whites.  Both the language and context is not only political it is hate speech. 

"We have a little different view about the subject than most because of what happened back then. If any group or person supports taking our birthright again they are our natural enemy"

And who is "We" ? This is more of your La Raza type victimization and fantasizing. 

That issue is not about tolerating your opinion, it's about your seething anger and continually contorting topics that reveal a personal vendetta against historical inequities, perceived or otherwise.

This is the elephant in the room guys.  It is the 30 x 30 plan.  Some call it a land grab and some call it an ingenious peoples opportunity to manage lands historically.  There are lots of hits when you search but it is a huge, huge program.  This gives you an idea how much land will be 'tied up' in some fashion.

Currently, 12 percent of the nation’s land is protected. That amounts to about 289 million acres. The 30 by 30 plan would increase that to 30 percent, adding 440 million more acres by 2030. That would bring the total federally protected acreage in the U.S. to 729 million acres.

https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/files/report-conserving-and-restoring-america-the-beautiful-2021.pdf

I'm trying to be 'down the middle' so as not to be political but putting on my prospecting and mining hat I'm sure that this plan will take away opportunities for me to look for gold with my kids in the future.  Just look at the recent National Monuments in Southern California.  They are off limits for prospecting and they were historical gold producers.  I expect more of this from any legislation.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mn90403 said:

This is the elephant in the room guys.  It is the 30 x 30 plan.  Some call it a land grab and some call it an ingenious peoples opportunity to manage lands historically.  There are lots of hits when you search but it is a huge, huge program.  This gives you an idea how much land will be 'tied up' in some fashion.

Currently, 12 percent of the nation’s land is protected. That amounts to about 289 million acres. The 30 by 30 plan would increase that to 30 percent, adding 440 million more acres by 2030. That would bring the total federally protected acreage in the U.S. to 729 million acres.

https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/files/report-conserving-and-restoring-america-the-beautiful-2021.pdf

I'm trying to be 'down the middle' so as not to be political but putting on my prospecting and mining hat I'm sure that this plan will take away opportunities for me to look for gold with my kids in the future.  Just look at the recent National Monuments in Southern California.  They are off limits for prospecting and they were historical gold producers.  I expect more of this from any legislation.

"some call it an ingenious peoples opportunity to manage lands historically" 

Mitch, Did you mean, indigenous" by any chance? :)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, BMc said:

"Nothing I have posted is political in any way"

"We have a little different view about the subject than most because of what happened back then. If any group or person supports taking our birthright again they are our natural enemy. And we made that plain about 4 years ago when they tried to do it. Anyone that didn't get the message then is in for a rude awakening if they try it again. Forests may burn in extreme drought. But Santa Fe will burn if they try to peddle our beautiful mountains to some wealthy gabacho. Tierra o muerte! Viva Los Gorras Blanco! Viva Nuevo Mejico!

Not Hate speech? What do you call Land or Death? (Tierra o muerte!) And Los Garros Blanco was clearly a political and a vigilante movement. You also made it a racist issue with your divisive and pejorative use of Gabacho, as if public land was only "owned" by non-whites.  Both the language and context is not only political it is hate speech. 

"We have a little different view about the subject than most because of what happened back then. If any group or person supports taking our birthright again they are our natural enemy"

And who is "We" ? This is more of your La Raza type victimization and fantasizing. 

That issue is not about tolerating your opinion, it's about your seething anger and continually contorting topics that reveal a personal vendetta against historical inequities, perceived or otherwise.

That is absolute crap Mac. This is nothing but a personal attack. 

You are trying to paint me as something I am not. And you are interpreting my words as something that they did not mean.

You are trying to start your crap because I don't believe in your Spanish poodle story and your alien abduction fantasy. This is nothing but sour grapes on your part.

• well done 1

That is absolute crap Mac. This is nothing but a personal attack. 

You are trying to paint me as something I am not. And you are interpreting my words as something that they did not mean.

You are trying to start your crap because I don't believe in your Spanish poodle story and your alien abduction fantasy. This is nothing but sour grapes on your part.

Bob, I haven't tried to paint you as anything. By your own words you have created a self portrait and an interpretation that is clear and unambiguous. My objection is that the forum, IMO, should not be used as your own personal megaphone for your grievances. 

The only grievances here are yours Mac. They are about me personally.

I have only expressed my opinions on selling our public lands to private entities. 

And yes, you are trying to paint me as something I am not (radical leftist, revolutionary, using hate speech, etc.).

Your only input in this thread has been to attack me personally and try to spin my words into something besides what was intended.

Here is a post and a map copied from another forum from a guy who's in the mother lode...

Re: If you have to leave do you know where you are going to go?

"Yes, lots of choices from the school below us to regular evacuation centers. It's just that many planned communities were built before escape routes were mandatory and will be death traps at night with limited visibility from smoke. Most residents are signed up for the red alert on cell photos so they put out a loud alarm with a message afterwards. The photo below show all the evacution areas. Ours is NCO-E048. The phone message gives the areas along with a text. This is also available on the internet where I took the screen shot. It's a rude awake up when they call your area.

Since 100,000 people live in our small county, maximum resources were thrown at the fire with countless aircraft and firefighters. This and the luck of no wind last night has stopped the fire in it's tracks at 2400 acres. A heroic effort by all first responders. With high wind last night, our twin cities of Grass Valley and Nevada City plus Colfax would be gone today. Greenville was not so lucky last night when the Dixie fire swept through."

River Fire, evacuation zones.jpg

Edited by Dakota Slim
  • Like 1