Nugget Shooter Forums

1st gold for my 6000

I made it out this morning for a couple hours and scored my first 6000 gold out in Arizona, my smallest piece ever found with a detector weighing a massive .05gram. It gave a clear repeatable signal and was down about and inch or two sitting against a small rock... now I need to find the other 1000 of its cousins.

1626FC03-1A12-4240-931A-2B3D947DBCA1.jpeg

• Like 10
  • well done 4

:old:This confirms my suspicion that the 6000 is one of the worse detectors out there for finding gold. Who wants a detector that can only find fly poop?! :D Me…

Congratulations! The challenge has been made, and now the hunt is on!:pop:

Edited by GotAU?
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

33A6BADC-E3AF-458B-8A1F-C3E0CB523919.jpeg3743F9F6-301A-4D36-979E-AEA07B9B5E19.jpeg69D27B12-4A97-4182-942B-F2CDD4DF4899.jpeg30C3EF14-DE66-4EA7-BA2F-1440FBDD7498.jpegYep, tiny piece... still better that the trash that came with it, in defense of the 6000 every detector made has covered that area including my 7000 with the stock 14 and the nf z search coil pulling blanks the last couple times there.

this is some of the trash and some hot rocks that were pretty deep I’m assuming they are probably iron stone but they seem to have visible metal not sure I’ve seen that outside of the GB meteorites but these just don’t look meteoritic to me. Anyway really tiny trash and some deep rocks to go with my tiny gold.

Edited by 1515Art
  • Like 1
  • wow 1

Guys you know if you dig up all theses baby nuggets they will never have the opportunity to grow up to be big nuggets.

Here’s what you need to do when you find one and that’s send me the GPS location that’s so I can go water them as needed.

Chuck 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, 1515Art said:

this is some of the trash and some hot rocks that were pretty deep I’m assuming they are probably iron stone but they seem to have visible metal not sure I’ve seen that outside of the GB meteorites but these just don’t look meteoritic to me. Anyway really tiny trash and some deep rocks to go with my tiny gold.

The closeup of the window into your rock is definitely showing metal flakes typical of the GB meteorites...great photo. Lots of the fragments have been broken and the fusion crust stripped away by mechanical weathering, leaving no obvious exterior characteristics of meteorites, so they can be difficult to recognize until the interior is exposed, showing the telltale nickel-iron flakes.

Edited by Lunk
  • Like 2

Hey Lunk, thanks for the pointers, I cut larger windows into the larger ones and they are not exactly like the smaller piece that has many small flakes. They are all very dense and resistant to the belt sander, two have a darker matrix with just a fleck or two and one seems mostly metal 75% guessing with metal laced into a tan whiteish matrix and some small crystallized structures visible on the outside. The metal on the exterior is black and oxidized and inside where it is polished it has both darker and more silvery reflections depending where you look. I can only guess what this is but they were down 8 inches or so and gave a solid signal on the 6000.

this is the one with metal laced into the tan matrix.

2251813F-E81A-444C-A494-4E03C8C18784.jpeg2E3015EE-6364-4E5E-97D8-857902F00A2D.jpeg856C85E6-DA08-4304-A627-81A9D5501B99.jpegCFC0E7E5-62F2-410F-855D-E52CAD6BDC7E.jpegD02D0D3C-6DEC-46AE-8DED-11BEF0F8CFCD.jpeg

Wow, now it’s a broken meteorite! 

Sorry- just kidding, thats a really neat specimen. I wonder if with a little cleaning you can see any Widmanstätten lines in the metallic part? At this point you actually may want get an authority to help with it so you don’t do any accidental damage. Who knows, it may be worth more if you don’t make any mistakes with it 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, 1515Art said:

this is the one with metal laced into the tan matrix.

Pretty sure that's a hot rock with magnetite, which has a metallic luster when freshly cut; the GB meteorites don’t have large masses of nickel-iron...just small flakes like your smaller specimen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2021 at 8:29 PM, Lunk said:

Pretty sure that's a hot rock with magnetite, which has a metallic luster when freshly cut; the GB meteorites don’t have large masses of nickel-iron...just small flakes like your smaller specimen.

This is kind of what I suspected, but nice to know for sure. Seems like it should be easy but there’s a huge variety of sameness... the accumulation of garden rock progresses, lol.