Nugget Shooter Forums

Identifying my finds from Estate Sale

1st photo is a barite rose probably from Oklahoma.

2nd photo looks like calcite.

Just have guesses on the other two.

• Like 3

I agree on barite and calcite on the first two.

That third one looks like sulfide ore. Those dark blades look like a silver ore to me. But they could be a whole bunch of things. It is a nice mineral specimen for sure. It could be worth a few bucks if it is a rare crystal.

One of these guys will recognize those crystals. My guess based on almost complete ignorance is a metal crystal of some type. One of the silver rich minerals.

The last photo shows a blue cut thunder egg agate and a green mineral im going to call serpentine. But the green stuff could be a few other minerals too. You will probably have to do a streak and hardness test and post a close up to really identify it.

• Like 2

Barite rose and orange calcite for the first two, as Bob and Morlock stated. And, like the others, I’m not sure about the last two.

I think the last one could be olivine, but would need a close up as in through a loop.  Olivine may appear as small clusters of gems under a loupe like this:

image.png

• Hmmmmmm 1

Agree with #1-3, but I think the last green one (#4) may be serpentinite as Bob said, but also maybe jadite, or green radiolarian chert in that order of guessing from the photo. Would have to test hardness, look close for structure and crystal sizes to be sure.

Edited by GotAU?

26 minutes ago, chrisski said:

I think the last one could be olivine, but would need a close up as in through a loop.  Olivine may appear as small clusters of gems under a loupe like this:

image.png

I think the sample is too solid looking for olivine, and the crystals may be microcrystalline in size. I believe the sample is a  metamorphosed sedimentary rock, not igneous as most olivine is associated with.  

Edited by GotAU?
  • Like 1

It’s a nice collection, too bad you don’t know more about it.  This goes to show you that  if you collect rocks, put id numbers on them and keep good notes about what they are and where they came from so that your heirs and others will know the backstory about each of them. It makes them so much more interesting and valuable if their story is known! :)

Edited by GotAU?

My first thought on that piece was carborundum, but I rules that out as soon as I saw the big crystals. There’s a few things that could be going on there. Those could be crystals of the actual mineral, those could be crystals of one mineral with a coating of another mineral, or it could be a pseudomorph, where one mineral grows and is then replaced by another mineral. 
What is it though? I have no idea. It almost looks like vanadanite coated in manganese (hollandite or romanechite), but I’m pretty sure that’s not it.

2 hours ago, gocatsgo said:

Streak test showed colorless with a few small metal flakes 

The streak test seems to eliminate sulphides. 

Can you describe the color in more detail? I know the pictures give the impression of a black or dark gray mineral but photos don't always convey the true color. Any tints that photos aren't showing?

1 hour ago, Morlock said:

The streak test seems to eliminate sulphides. 

Can you describe the color in more detail? I know the pictures give the impression of a black or dark gray mineral but photos don't always convey the true color. Any tints that photos aren't showing?

The colors are true in photos as it ranges from dark black to shades of metallic shiny grays and shiny purple iridescent streaks.