Nugget Shooter Forums

I think it might be platinum!

Most old dimes fit that description Torque. For that matter most metals fit that description. What makes you think this particular dime is composed of platinum?

Welcome to the forum Torque. :4chsmu1:

• Like 1

Platinum has a pretty high melting point at 3215°, you could also test its density as pure platinum is 21.45 g/cm3

I agree with the others though, it would be rare to find a platinum  nugget.

Edited by GotAU?
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Where did you find it? Platinum nuggets are extremely rare so just on that basis alone I would say it's not platinum. 

FYI.

https://www.wikihow.com/Test-Platinum#/Image:Test-Platinum-Step-3.jpg

I didn’t know about how well those test kits work, can you recommend a good source? The ones I’ve seen online looked poor quality and too expensive.

Edited by GotAU?

Why don't you try a little mercury? 

Mercury will not amalgamate with platinum nor iron. It will readily coat any other metal.

Native platinum is also magnetic. It always is alloyed with iron. So if it is not magnetic it is probably not platinum.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

I didn’t know about how well those test kits work, can you recommend a good source? The ones I’ve seen online looked poor quality and too expensive.

If you mean the acid scratch tests..you can find them on eBay for less than $20.00....shipping included. I think they are fairly reliable. They have the acids, stone and instructions.

Edited by Morlock
  • Thanks 1

Very good input thanks all. I think it’s platinum because it’s heavy for its size. Looking at pl nuggets in books and web, you tube, seem very similar. I found it near Mount Diablo, CA. There has been pl found here before.

Edited by Torque45