Nugget Shooter Forums

Forgive my ignorance with fossils but I found this rock that resembled a large bird head.  I really don't think that it is just because it's solid but I wanted to run it by y'all anyway.  Looks like a prehistoric swamp person was able to put an arrow right through his melon too.

IMG_20210730_180022.jpg

IMG_20210730_175910.jpg

IMG_20210730_175926.jpg

IMG_20210730_175920.jpg

IMG_20210730_175945.jpg

IMG_20210730_175933.jpg

IMG_20210730_180002.jpg

IMG_20210730_175956.jpg

IMG_20210730_180014.jpg

IMG_20210730_180006.jpg

IMG_20210730_175900.jpg

IMG_20210730_180017.jpg

IMG_20210730_175854.jpg

I don't see anything that makes me think it's a fossil. Sometimes a rock is  just a plain ole rock.

Petrified wood?

Looking at those holes makes me think you may have a mold fossil. That happens when an organism dies and is buried. The organism decomposes and leaves behind a hole in the shape of its body. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, d_day said:

Looking at those holes makes me think you may have a mold fossil. That happens when an organism dies and is buried. The organism decomposes and leaves behind a hole in the shape of its body. 

Interesting,  I haven’t thought about those for a very long time. I even collected some from clams and sand dollars that were also molds of their insides. I think you may be right about that, the technical term for it is a “steinkern”. It is common inside clamshells when the interior space is filled in and fossilized, and the rest of the shell disintegrates.

:old: Ha! And I pulled that term out of my head from a paleontology class I took back in the 80’s.  My brain still works!

Edited by GotAU?
  • Like 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1

It may or may not be a steinkern though, difficult to tell by the photos and we have no idea what type of deposit it came from. Would be probable if it was a marine sedimentary deposit.

18 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

It may or may not be a steinkern though, difficult to tell by the photos and we have no idea what type of deposit it came from. Would be probable if it was a marine sedimentary deposit.

Honestly, I’m thinking crinoid stem pieces. I’ve zoomed in on the holes.

277F1BB6-4A82-4ABA-A9FD-BEA3763BAC1E.jpeg

• Like 2

It is definitely sockets left from crinoid segments. I wasn't looking that close. My phone screen is tiny and my eyes are bad.

Still the larger piece has symmetry that is just not mineral. It is something encrusted in crinoid stems. Or it was laying on crinoids when it fossilized and that is the side we see with the crinoids.

In my neck of the woods there are tons of crinoid in limestone. Lots of calcite and flourite are in layers below. There are other fossils in the limestone above the crinoid layer. So you could find a fossil with a bit of crinoid rich material stuck to it I suppose.

I think it is fossil (or a casting of something) encrusted in fossils. I'm pretty sure you have found a petrified turducken.

• Haha 1

I have been collecting fish fossils and I find it really rewarding and now I love Metaldetecting .  I love that gold.   This is my sons find!   The little Knightas fish I make into jewelry.  This is called the Green River formation and is way on top of a mountain near the town of Kimmerer, Wy.  

5D8A167E-7BD2-4055-8068-A5945F33C291.jpeg

F65734A8-5C1E-4B4E-9A15-13CD9BC20828.jpeg

• Like 1
  • well done 2

I've never seen fish fossils used in jewelry before. Very nice.

That looks like an excellent specimen of  Phareodus Testis your son is holding. I've been to the Green River Formation myself to fish for fossils and really enjoyed it.