Nugget Shooter Forums

Fossilized wood id?

Has anyone seen something like this? It’s petrified wood from central California I found in the Tehachapi Mountains a long time ago. The first and last two photos show some interesting branch plates on the sides and also you can clearly see the growth patterns on it. The fossil condition appears not to be too old, as most of the surrounding deposits are probably Cenozoic 65my - current, however that part of the Tehachapi‘s and Tejon Pass does have some pre-cretaceous sedimentary deposits as well. It was found in the bottom of the canyon in stream gravel, so I don’t have good provenience for it. I’m thinking it might be a fern of some sort? I don’t think it’s a tree fern though, those were really old and I have not heard of them in that part of California, although it certainly looks like one.

I’ve emailed some paleobotanists about it and they didn’t know either, but it’s more than kind of hard to ID something like this just by photo. I’m still hoping maybe somebody has seen something similar here. Thank you for your help!

-Anthony

0D331EEE-774F-49DF-A897-89B5AD8408D4.jpeg0515A1BA-A637-48A7-8D64-44A8A4C96AEF.jpegA9A2E470-6DFA-406B-A9AF-13BB3DC8ABD0.jpeg0105C948-D70E-43C5-A97D-0A28D7904274.jpeg5DFE821C-C49D-4D50-99FE-5F0C453DB358.jpeg954D269B-A57C-4F34-9878-FFE260E09F41.jpeg

Edited by GotAU?

24 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Looks a bit like a cypress knee. Maybe some similar nub that grew up from a root system. Or maybe some type of growth influenced by fungi.

Its cool. It's certainly not your average chunk of pet wood.

Cypress is beautiful wood, never new about the knees though. Very cool! I actually took a paleontology class in college but it was mainly about invertebrates and vertebrates, we didn’t do anything with plants unfortunately.  I’ll have to research cypress a little bit more to see if there’s any of it found out here in the west. Your idea about fungi is good too, this thing has some weird growth patterns to it or it was broken off or something. Thanks!

Edited by GotAU?
  • Like 1

Cypress is all over the place. It is a variation of cedar and juniper. 

I think it is bald cypress or black cypress that makes the "knees". They grow up from the roots and form strange knobs sticking up out of the water.

Back in the days that your rock was a tree there was probably a lot of swampy stuff going on. I don't know but I imagine there were cypress like trees growing lots of places. I'm sure lots has changed since then.

We have fungus on juniper trees here that make wierd knobs like that at the ends of branches. It looks really similar. Burls are wierd irregular growth that often form goofy shapes too. I bet that your rock was a strange looking wood growth before it was petrified and petrification just made it weirder.

You may have found a petrified ugly stick. It could be worth a pile of frogskins.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

You may have found a petrified ugly stick. It could be worth a pile of frogskins.

Do yo know of any frogskin to ducket converter? Or  what about simolians?

1 hour ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Do yo know of any frogskin to ducket converter? Or  what about simolians?

I think a ducket is about five average frogskins. Maybe six if the frogs were small. 

Samoleans are a volatile currency that roughly equate to about three frogskins and a hand full of pretty rocks. Im not sure they are still fungible outside of Swaziland. But I will gladly pay you in Samoleans on Thursday for a hamburger today. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I think a ducket is about five average frogskins. Maybe six if the frogs ...

I think the ducat came after furs and salt, then the "ducket" and less valuable  frogskins followed.  

Now, a petrified frog on a(petrified)bump on a log would be worth quite a bit:thumbsupanim