Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums

Looking for help


Recommended Posts

Its a brown rock…

Sorry, but that’s all one can tell from your photos.  We need a size scale - photograph of it near a known object like a coin, and more clues like did you see if it is magnetic and did you do a streak test? Use unglazed white tile or the underside of the toilet tank lid to do a streak test. Just rub the rock on it in a line and look at the color.
I think it might be a form of iron called Hematite, which leaves a red-brown streak, or magnetite, which leaves a gray-black streak.

Edited by GotAU?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is always difficult to say for sure when you are just looking at photos, especially in the absence of various testing results information, but I think that might

very well be a meteorite. It's a good find for sure. You should polish that window that you opened through a few grades of sandpaper until you have a good flat

and smooth surface, and then post some pictures of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Shokmelt said:

It is always difficult to say for sure when you are just looking at photos, especially in the absence of various testing results information, but I think that might

very well be a meteorite. It's a good find for sure. You should polish that window that you opened through a few grades of sandpaper until you have a good flat

and smooth surface, and then post some pictures of that.

It has a kinda purplish streak

IMG_20210727_235449.jpg

IMG_20210727_235609.jpg

IMG_20210727_235612.jpg

IMG_20210727_235125.jpg

IMG_20210727_235128.jpg

IMG_20210727_235443.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Magnetic? (See if it sticks to a magnet but also see if it attracts iron like a small staple)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it is Hematite - type of iron ore. Indigenous people and artists break it up to make ochre, a reddish brown pigment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What we really need for this one is some better pics. Try taking some pics outdoors in bright sunlight and or in "open shade"(like in the side shadow of a building 

or a car-as opposed to under a tree or a canopy). It would also be helpful to have a series of photos of the non-flat (top side) from 3 or 4 different rotated angles.

And how it responds to a magnet would be very helpful too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Shokmelt said:

What we really need for this one is some better pics. Try taking some pics outdoors in bright sunlight and or in "open shade"(like in the side shadow of a building 

or a car-as opposed to under a tree or a canopy). It would also be helpful to have a series of photos of the non-flat (top side) from 3 or 4 different rotated angles.

And how it responds to a magnet would be very helpful too.

I'm sorry I forgot to tell you it was magnetic I don't think sometimes I'll get you some more picks.  I'm sure with my luck it's nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Ordinary rock said:

I've done alot of streak tests but this one in particular was different from others because of the purple color.  I guess maybe that makes it red?  

 

It looks reddish in the streak test pic. I was going by your assertion that it looks purple, as cameras don't always render true color well.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ordinary rock said:

I've done alot of streak tests but this one in particular was different from others because of the purple color.  I guess maybe that makes it red?  

 

Yes. A "red" streak is any hue of red from light pink to dark chocolate. A "grey" streak is from light grey to coal black.

"Purple" is a hue of red. 

Remember that rocks are combinations of minerals. They will give you the streak color of any minerals that touch the streak plate. So a single mineral will yield a true color. A rock may reveal a combination of colors depending on the minerals it is comprised of.

No matter what color you perceive the streak to be, if it leaves a streak it is not a meteorite. If it is magnetic and leaves a streak It is an oxidized terrestrial iron.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mostly agree with that, Bob. The streak test is more about identifying minerals, rather than rocks. That being said, the ubiquitous

nature of mineralized iron does make it a useful test. I would just not want for someone to cast away some rare, here-to-fore 

unknown achondrite based "solely" on the fact that it failed a streak test. I'm also not implying that I think that's what this is. 

I'm jus' say'n'. :idunno:

 

CAUTION: The above is not intended to provide false hope to all of those out there who are clinging to some delusional 

                   belief that they have a Martian sedimentary rock. :nono:

                   However, it is also not intended to encourage disbelief in the possibility of the existence of Martian sedimentary

                   rock meteorites. :89:

 

On a side note: I do recall that back in the 1970's there was a popular streak test for rocks. A positive test would often produce

loud and shrill shrieking sounds, and leave behind some blush color. I think it was intended to indicate some brass content in the rocks.:4chsmu1:

   

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/30/2021 at 11:10 PM, Shokmelt said:

I mostly agree with that, Bob. The streak test is more about identifying minerals, rather than rocks. That being said, the ubiquitous

nature of mineralized iron does make it a useful test. I would just not want for someone to cast away some rare, here-to-fore 

unknown achondrite based "solely" on the fact that it failed a streak test. I'm also not implying that I think that's what this is. 

I'm jus' say'n'. :idunno:

 

CAUTION: The above is not intended to provide false hope to all of those out there who are clinging to some delusional 

                   belief that they have a Martian sedimentary rock. :nono:

                   However, it is also not intended to encourage disbelief in the possibility of the existence of Martian sedimentary

                   rock meteorites. :89:

 

On a side note: I do recall that back in the 1970's there was a popular streak test for rocks. A positive test would often produce

loud and shrill shrieking sounds, and leave behind some blush color. I think it was intended to indicate some brass content in the rocks.:4chsmu1:

   

 

Picture saturation.   Hope that's some better pictures, it's out side in the light only the darn light makes it where I can't see the screen to observe the quality of said photographs, but whatevs.

IMG_20210803_152523.jpg

IMG_20210803_152528.jpg

IMG_20210803_152509.jpg

IMG_20210803_152545.jpg

IMG_20210803_152555.jpg

16280246893946673712946856682946.jpg

IMG_20210803_161214.jpg

IMG_20210803_161440.jpg

IMG_20210803_161457.jpg

IMG_20210803_161357.jpg

IMG_20210803_161404.jpg

IMG_20210803_161538.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you, Ordinary rock.

These are much better pictures. I appreciate the follow up. Honestly, I was really expecting that better pics of the top side and the 

window would lead to disappointment. On the contrary, I can see some surface features that are very encouraging. 

I still think that it's a very good candidate. Although if it is actually a meteorite, it might be one that would require an oxygen isotope test

to produce reasonably convincing evidence of that. I think it would be worth it to have an expert look at it in person.

At any rate, I would take care of that little guy, and maybe go look for some more like it where you found that one if possible.

 

 

  

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually have found a few around the samish size and I kept it because my sister bought me one one time that had the same looking interior.  I thought maybe she got a fake one because it didn't have the pattern in it but I guess it was the wrong type because it ended up being real.  Well that's good news or not bad news.  I have a question about testing.  I have previously used meteoriteLab.com  said to be the new england meteoritical society.  Does anybody know anything about them?  Are they legit or just pocketing funds because they make it seem official when they send one back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Ordinary rock said:

 I have a question about testing.  I have previously used meteoriteLab.com  said to be the new england meteoritical society.  Does anybody know anything about them?  Are they legit or just pocketing funds because they make it seem official when they send one back.

They've been around for many years and are 100% legitimate,

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Ok so I finally got time to go pick up a few more and find some of my other ones that look like this one so here are some pics.  They are not the best since I didn't have any daylight to photograph them in so here's my best.  Maybe this will help decide if it's not one.  And they maybe different all together, hell, I'm pretty dense so it's definitely a possibility.

CM210816-210048016.jpg

CM210816-205720005.jpg

CM210816-210034015.jpg

IMG_20210816_210728.jpg

CM210816-210636024.jpg

CM210816-205859011.jpg

CM210816-210334021.jpg

IMG_20210816_133630.jpg

CM210816-205835010.jpg

CM210816-210333020.jpg

CM210816-210212019.jpg

CM210816-210210018.jpg

CM210816-210116017.jpg

16291379178283508985884213499478.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...