Nugget Shooter Forums

Trying to identify my finds

12 hours ago, Eureka said:

Is that what they call geodes?  now i understand. its like petrified wood. ) the names i have to link with what i see.  I do not identify them as names after people that found them.

The are calcite rings. They wrap around a piece of sand stone.  It forms a  circle joining at the ends and the minerals grow inside and duplicate , then go thru the whole process its cell growth.  The gold hole is the same thing only the gold part of the cell. they come in silver, copper gold, and then there is the sediment side that has trace minerals of each on the opposite side of the main stone. 

I can show you the two beginning minerals that form this circle. they are the  two  white pieces.. when they hit water, they make earth. :) 

So in my own observations and photos  that is how it works. 

They come in all sizes. and eventually they will break down to wood. and soil. and grow trees. 

Then the as the tree grows , it brings up the stones that formed with them, eventually toppling the  tree over to rejuvenate the land it lays on.... repeat this a million times and you get planets. 

Fires are started to germinate, its a natural occurrence that comes from the earth. these are the tops of those vents we call volcanoes.

I hope that answers your question... LOL sorry. so detailed.

IMG_4914.PNG

IMG_5367.PNG

IMG_4915.PNG

Sorry but NO, what you describe is not how it works, especially the part about changing to wood, trees and the volcano part, just no, sorry, but you are giving very inaccurate information about many things most here know about, but there are beginners that visits these forums and they shouldn't be reading inaccurate info!

Please refrain posting such information unless it's provable scientific facts from experts and then please post links to those facts especially if they are as different as what you have been posting and way different to what most knowledgeable persons know as fact!!

• Like 4

Debra,

Yes. What you have is a geode. It formed from the outside inward. It was a cavity that filled with crystals.

Those crystals are usually quartz and calcite. There can be other cool minerals inside too.

It looks like your rock probably has both quartz and calcite crystals.

• Like 2

It is a geode, but it’s becoming a thunder egg which is simply a geode that has filled in solid. You have a pretty cool find there and should fo look for more! A guy out in Arizona who collects thunder eggs and geodes commercially told me how when you find one intact in host rock, use tape or a magic marker to mark the vertical and horizontal lines on it before pulling it out. When you do pull it out, cut it vertically from pole to pole the way it was oriented in the host material and you’ll have really nice striated lines in it from the layers as it filled in if it ends up being a thunder egg. If the lines appear tilted when you pull it out and cut it open, that means the host rock shifted tectonically after the thunder egg was formed.

Sometimes you’ll see different groupings of layers where it filled in partially and continued with the next layer at a later time. sometimes these can be at different angles to each other, indicating that it formed and filled in while the host rock shifted during different periods of time.

you should look in that area again, you might find some more geodes or thunder eggs. If you don’t have a good rocksaw, a cheap tile saw will work although you’ll go through blades faster,  but still it’s kind of fun to cut those open. Use emory sandpaper of different grades with water to polish it and then put one layer of clear polyacrylic coat on it to shine it up.

There are a lot better examples of thunder eggs than this out there,  but this one shows examples I’m talking about where the materials filled in slowly during different periods of time and the layers finally filled in the geode solid. Had it been cut longitudinally it would not have shown these layers.

image.jpgand put it on your mantle.

Edited by GotAU?
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 9:08 PM, Debra said:

I found these specimens quite by chance in in an old caliche pit.  They were already opened and very weathered.  I’m guessing they are geodes.  Can anyone help me identify them.

367DCB32-CAC2-49EF-AEED-745D7B6DC7B8.jpeg

B58C7A5F-4675-4571-80E0-CC14C2C178FE.jpeg

23667E9A-A579-44E2-AC5D-F05BF1829C56.jpeg

26B9D2C4-D0C5-4DBA-9C53-3C899CA710BE.jpeg

25497BA4-3857-4357-9A11-3EB5AC62D93A.jpeg

783A1E55-E2C8-4E76-A8C4-6441DD104301.jpeg

1B539688-219A-42AF-B3EB-B0D12A3E5EEC.jpeg

Debra, I took a second look at your photos and am wondering if the surrounding country rock and soils in that area are volcanic ash?  If it is, there could be some other interesting minerals in the area. Can you find a geologic map of your area and look it up?