Nugget Shooter Forums

Got kiln? Colorado

On 7/22/2021 at 6:14 PM, Indigo Suelo said:

Simple request for person or company with mobile kiln service or furnace for use.  Contact me with cost etc.  Thank you 

Indigo, look for a small pottery kiln or PMC jewelry kiln on EBay or Craigslist, you will often find used ones for pretty cheap. Some are as small as a toaster oven, run on 120v and can heat to 2300 degrees. For smelting at or above 2000 degrees, a “cone 01” or “cone 1” up to a “cone 10” capable kiln (thats how ceramics kilns measure temperatures) may be more than sufficient.

Edited by GotAU?
  • Thanks 2

Indigo, are you smelting ore or melting scrap metals?  If melting small scraps, check out the use of an electric arc in this article. They only used a car battery and two carbon rods from old carbon flashlight batteries to melt gold scrap into a blob for jewelry making! I’m going to put this reference in the DIY forum, others here may find it useful too.

https://www.pbs.org/weta/roughscience/series3/big_smelt/smelting.html

Edited by GotAU?
  • Like 1
  • well done 1

Smelting Ore.,  I'll take a look at that article sounds like a good one.  I have been using a torch but a good furnace would give a smoother finish.  Let me know if you know a guy that's mobile or location to bring my find to,  thanks. 

45 minutes ago, Indigo Suelo said:

Smelting Ore.,  I'll take a look at that article sounds like a good one.  I have been using a torch but a good furnace would give a smoother finish.  Let me know if you know a guy that's mobile or location to bring my find to,  thanks. 

You are smelting ore? With a torch?

You had indicated your process was leaching.

Maybe I misunderstood?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

You are smelting ore? With a torch?

You had indicated your process was leaching.

Maybe I misunderstood?

OK... 

The leaching process is a excellent way to extract precious metals of all types from other alloys.  Using compounds you can systematicly separate the elements from the alloys.  Once you have the elements separated you can use a torch to bring them to temp. Etc.. 

Me personally I am processing a platinum find. Many don't know this but platinum group metals are mostly found in the form of ore. As in raw form . 

Utilizing the process of refining precious metals,  for example using nitric acid to process gold. I decompose the ore into a liquid and then separate the element by neutralizing the acidic liquid.  Once the elements have been separated  and filter etc.  I then use my torch to bring up to temp. A furnace works better to get a even temp. 

So you are not smelting the ore. You are just melting beads. I got it. 

When you use the term"smelting" it means something different to us old refinery guys than just melting beads.

Do you use digestion or flotation to concentrate? Electrowinning?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

So you are not smelting the ore. You are just melting beads. I got it 

Do you use digestion or flotation to concentrate?

Tell you what if I had a good furnace it would be poured and pressed into pretty bar.  But I got a map torch and time to work it so work it is what I do.  

I was going to post a pic of today's work...  Interested? It's quite  the bead

As for the method I use it's more toward the digestive process since I dissolve the elements from each other with  acids.  Then I use the flotation process ,in a way, by settling the elements to the bottom since they are denser than the liquid I'm using.  The process I used is relatively the same for each in the method it's the acidic compounds that differ pending on which element I.  Working on. 

9 minutes ago, Indigo Suelo said:

Tell you what if I had a good furnace it would be poured and pressed into pretty bar.  But I got a map torch and time to work it so work it is what I do.  

I was going to post a pic of today's work...  Interested? It's quite  the bead

As for the method I use it's more toward the digestive process since I dissolve the elements from each other with  acids.  Then I use the flotation process ,in a way, by settling the elements to the bottom since they are denser than the liquid I'm using.  The process I used is relatively the same for each in the method it's the acidic compounds that differ pending on which element I.  Working on. 

You are describing a digestion process. Not a flotation process. 

Elements settling to the bottom of a tank is just what happens. It's called gravity. Not flotation.

Flotation is an entirely different process. 

If you are dropping metals out of digested slime you are either using precipitation or a current. Im interested in what method you use to recover your metals from digested slimes.

4 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

You are describing a digestion process. Not a flotation process. 

Elements settling to the bottom of a tank is just what happens. It's called gravity. Not flotation.

Flotation is an entirely different process. 

If you are dropping metals out of digested slime you are either using precipitation or a current. Im interested in what method you use to recover your metals from digested slimes.

The slime you call it... 

To retrieve the metals I use neutralizing material.  The precipitated elements settle to the bottom,  I asperate the liquid and collect the filter and dry and separate the dried elements by color.  Then form a sponge and prep for heat. 

I should say this just in case.  I use different compounds to separate the delicate metals first. This reduces any impurities by targeting specific elements.  So the results produce clean sediment. 

There are other methods I'm sure but I use this one because it produces clean easy to read and separate results. 

You drop the metals out by neutralizing? 

That will flocculate metals based on solubility. Not based on the electromotive scale. You drop one metal out by digesting another. You work down the scale until your solution is stripped of values and then neutralize to drop your most soluble metal which is usually lead (oakum) or aluminum. 

You separate metals by color? Huh?

You have watched the process but you don't understand the chemistry behind it. 

Sorry man. There is a tale to tell here. But you are not telling it.

4 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

You drop the metals out by neutralizing? 

That will flocculate metals based on solubility. Not based on the electromotive scale. You drop one metal out by digesting another. You work down the scale until your solution is stripped of values and then neutralize to drop your most soluble metal which is usually lead (oakum) or aluminum. 

You separate metals by color? Huh?

You have watched the process but you don't understand the chemistry behind it. 

Sorry man. There is a tale to tell here. But you are not telling it.

Well let's see since i now realize the type of individual you are. 

You may know how to do things one way and sure that's good for you.  Me I know things a different way.  

You seem to like using big words to seem intelligent...  Me, I'm just describing the method I use.  If you are getting iron in your pg  then check your mud or flux mix then try a different method....  Maybe one that separates the more delicate metals like rhodium and palladium before breaking down the entirety of the alloy.  And if you yourself can not see the difference in color between the metals in their ore form then that's a you problem.  I can easily identify the metals in their ore form...  And I'm sure you would need an example or three but that you'll have to put in your own research. 

Kinda like I did.....  Huh...what a concept going out and doing instead of sitting and clicking. 

• Like 1

Just so it's clear...  I am looking for a guy or company with a mobile kiln service.  I would gladly compensate them for their service and time

Contact me with serious inquiries in my inbox. Thank you.

And thanks for the helpful tips and advice.  Once my resources are replenished I will be getting a kiln.

My personal preference is the tabletop company it had a very solid product and offered top or side load options on a 1800watt /110v powered system.  But I'll shop around first.   . 

Side loading Paragon kilns are often available used -jewelry smiths use them for PMC clay and they have very good temperature controls.I procurred one from a studio that was going out of business for $350.

• Like 1
  • well done 1

2 hours ago, Indigo Suelo said:

Just so it's clear...  I am looking for a guy or company with a mobile kiln service. 

A mobile kiln service? Really?

I wondered what those guys driving around with big ovens on their truck were doing. Now I know.

Maybe try the yellow pages?

:rolleyes:

If you are just making beads from what you recover from your process you don't need a very big oven. 

You could easily cast your $8,000 "rhodium" nugget in a stack of fire bricks with a torch. It's only 15 grams of metal. All you need to do is heat a crucible the size of a quart jar.

How much "ore" did you process to recover 15 grams of rhodium Indigo? What type of ore is it?

10 hours ago, Indigo Suelo said:

Just so it's clear...  I am looking for a guy or company with a mobile kiln service.  I would gladly compensate them for their service and time

Contact me with serious inquiries in my inbox. Thank you.

And thanks for the helpful tips and advice.  Once my resources are replenished I will be getting a kiln.

My personal preference is the tabletop company it had a very solid product and offered top or side load options on a 1800watt /110v powered system.  But I'll shop around first.   . 

8 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I wondered what those guys driving around with big ovens on their truck were doing. Now I know.

If you are just making beads from what you recover from your process you don't need a very big oven. 

You could easily cast your $8,000 "rhodium" nugget in a stack of fire bricks with a torch. It's only 15 grams of metal. All you need to do is heat a crucible the size of a quart jar.

How much "ore" did you process to recover 15 grams of rhodium Indigo? What type of ore is it?

I smell a rat.

14 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Funny but not really funny because there are portable kilns.  Made by companies like tabletop furnace  etc.  The request is to get a person or company with one to stop by and do some work.  

I know difficult to comprehend that someone is  being real. 

7 minutes ago, Indigo Suelo said:

I know difficult to comprehend that someone is  being real. 

Written by a guy that claims to be pouring rhodium nuggets from ore he found on his property? Who claims to be able to smelt complex ores but can't find an oven big enough to melt a 15 gram blob of slag?

Now THAT is funny!

:laught16:

14 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Written by a guy that claims to be pouring rhodium nuggets from ore he found on his property? Who claims to be able to smelt complex ores but can't find an oven big enough to melt a 15 gram blob of slag?

Now THAT is funny!

:laught16:

I don't have my darn kiln because my workshop was vandalized and all the tools and equipment stolen. 

I'd rather not think about that since it was a huge setback in my endeavours. 

I have been making do with a propane torch and cup...  

But hey why listen to the guy doing it right...  Isn't that what society has deemed normal.  Bunch of doubting Thomases ... Hey if you'd like to drive the hundred or so miles to my location inbox me for details and you can see for yourself.  Otherwise go the way of the dodo bird. 

FYI it's only difficult to process pg metals if you don't know how.  I happen to know how to separate and process them rather easily.  But again why take my word for it I mean I have shown pic after pic of the platinum group spectrum proving what I say...  Heck I even showed a set of coins...  Clearly showing three different precious metals (gold,  pd, and rh and a mix of each)  if that's not proof enough then either you are blind stupid or just being a nuisance. 

I posted this in the OP other classified ad, so I'm putting here as well since both topics/ads have sorta bled into the other with much of the same responses!!

"OK, this is a warning, which shouldn't be necessary, there have been forum rules broken in this topic, it will stop, no more name calling, derogatory remarks or accusations towards other members!

This is/was a classified ad but has turned into a discussion on platinum group metals and where they're being sourced but now needs to get back to only responses of interested parties.

Everyone has already stated their beliefs and disbelief on this so lets leave it at that!!

I will says that if you're interested in this ad do your own due diligence, the OP has offered a visit if you wish to his property for a first hand experience of what he's doing, so either take him up on that offer or not but otherwise any other members keep your comments respectable or don't comment at all!" 

• Thanks 1