Nugget Shooter Forums

GPX 6000 My Thoughts

Hello All,

I have now owned a Minelab GPX 6000 for about 3 weeks or so and my opinion on this light weight PI detector is I think it is another game changer from Minelab, but then we are used to that. I am literally pulling nuggets out of flogged patches as well as hitting some in new areas (to me anyway) It is just fun to be able to get out and expect to score instead of hoping to score. See my videos at Nugget Shooter Journals section here at the forum or YouTube to see it as I learned to use it as well as my finds.

Yep all the older and other gold detectors out there will still find gold, but this one my friends is simply amazing. It takes a little patience when first learning to keep it stable, but like any other PI the right combination of sensitivity and ground settings make it purr like a kitten.

Yep the price is 6000, but the detector does what Minelab says and that makes it worth it to me and many others buying this "new deeper beeper" to quote a friend. Feel free to ask any questions about it in this thread, yeah I am a dealer so some say my opinion does not count, so ask the folks that have bought one and they will tell you the same. 

This is now my go to detector when I am gold nugget hunting and it still blows me away that I can hear tiny pickers like the Gold Monster, but deeper and also hear large stuff at the same or better depth that one would expect from a Pulse Induction detector. The best part is way less hot rocks are heard with this detector than previous PI detectors I have owned.

Simply my honest opinion dealer or not, this new GPX 6000 is a serious game changer for those serious about nugget shooting and after all it is cheaper than a bass boat :inocent:

Oh and I currently have some in stock (Thursday) with no waiting time, 623-910-0345

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hey Bill ... Cheaper by far than the latest kayak I just ordered from Old Town, Sportsman Big Water 132 PDL, that won't be delivered until October! Fishing season is over by then ... at least the tournament season! But that's OK ... gold season is well into it by then. LOL!

• Like 3

I have dug several deep trash targets and showed a couple of them I think the 7000 will have the edge on large deep targets, but the 6000 hears small to medium nuggets much deeper than the 7000 in my experience so far. I am not hunting deep ground right now because it is just too hot to stray out very far, but will be in the Mother Load country with Chris Ralph in a few weeks. What do you mean by deep? I dug a .22 short slug at 18 inches and a shotgun slug at better than 20 inches, but I don’t carry a tape measure. Also lots of deep iron targets… I will post more as I go.

Also I have a 17 inch mono coil that goes much deeper than the 11 inch and I will be using it more in the near future... :black_knight_standing:

• Like 6

Haven't used mine yet, but headed down to your neck of the woods and going to give it a go next week. Figured I'd hit some places I've found gold at before.Took next week off figured if nothing else I'd find a good in the desert.Ive enjoyed your videos on the 6000 and thinking they will help me out.So try to leave me a few pieces out there.

stephen

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 10:54 AM, Nugget Shooter said:

I have dug several deep trash targets and showed a couple of them I think the 7000 will have the edge on large deep targets, but the 6000 hears small to medium nuggets much deeper than the 7000 in my experience so far. I am not hunting deep ground right now because it is just too hot to stray out very far, but will be in the Mother Load country with Chris Ralph in a few weeks. What do you mean by deep? I dug a .22 short slug at 18 inches and a shotgun slug at better than 20 inches, but I don’t carry a tape measure. Also lots of deep iron targets… I will post more as I go.

Also I have a 17 inch mono coil that goes much deeper than the 11 inch and I will be using it more in the near future... :black_knight_standing:

Hey Bill, that G-spot scoop is a foot long, looked like you had it buried deeper than that on your specimen in the last video.  Looks good, cant wait to see what Chris and you dig up!

• Like 2

Just Sayin 

The 7000 is heavy and takes work but still the technology far exceeds the 6000. I have seen the 7000 machine pull nuggets out of hammered ground. The guys who swing it pay for the equipment they use but benefit from the technology. 

The Minelab 6000 would  probably not be valuable in the Mother Load of California due to the trash...not many machines are.  The gold on the benches is deep and in a hard pack very difficult to detect. The gold in the streams is contaminated with lead trash to the lowest point.

Always the new Mine Lab lays the claim to being the cutting edge greater than all others. Finds gold the others didn't find yata yata... 

Some Truths for those of you looking.

The Equinox is better than the Gold monster.. The Gold Bug still produces as much gold in shallow ground as either the Equinox or the Gold Monster. 

Bottom line any gold metal detector put over gold will hear it. The 6000 seems to be more apt to hear all and is not able to discriminate which should be an expectation for a 2021 detector. This results in making you dig a ton of small trash targets. If $6,000 dollars and a ton of trash target suits you then make the investment.

I see this detector in the $4,000 range by this time next year and Minelab releasing it's sequel by Christmas 2023 but I am no salesman 

Sorry, but you are wrong. Judging something before trying it is like saying a duck can not swim without seeing it. I have simply told as well as showed my experiences so far and no one is forcing you to try or purchase one. If you owned one and were saying the same I may be paying attention, but.... Anyway it is cheaper than a bass boat.

I have now found over 30 nuggets in the few weeks I have owned this detector and most are from areas worked with the machines you mentioned as well as other PI detectors and the gold was still there! But now it is mine and a couple are pretty darn nice ones. The 6000 will hear gold the 7000 missed and there are plenty of Aussie and US users showing just that at YouTube and elsewhere if you take the time to look. In the mid and small nugget range the 6000 hears what the GPZ 7000 could not and yes I own both and know this by experience.

Discrimination on a PI is not doable with any accuracy on a PI detector and that is why it is not on this one or the 7000 due to the technology, they had a sort of discrimination on some early Minelab PIs but it was just a breaking threshold type and was not reliable and even discrimination on a VLF can cost you nuggets if using it while hunting.

Cheers and good hunting, Bill

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

My results similar to Bills with the 6.  34 bits so far from beat ground and also some small crap at pretty impressive depths......

• Like 4

Fishing', The 7000, SDC, and now 6000 are all hyper sensitive detectors.  You will be digging plenty of trash with any of these choices. Most of us know, If you want to work the heart of the trash pile they were never good choices to begin with.  Find yourself the less trashy areas, and they will shine!

• Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 7:08 PM, fishing8046 said:

Just Sayin 

The 7000 is heavy and takes work but still the technology far exceeds the 6000. I have seen the 7000 machine pull nuggets out of hammered ground. The guys who swing it pay for the equipment they use but benefit from the technology. 

The Minelab 6000 would  probably not be valuable in the Mother Load of California due to the trash...not many machines are.  The gold on the benches is deep and in a hard pack very difficult to detect. The gold in the streams is contaminated with lead trash to the lowest point.

Always the new Mine Lab lays the claim to being the cutting edge greater than all others. Finds gold the others didn't find yata yata... 

Some Truths for those of you looking.

The Equinox is better than the Gold monster.. The Gold Bug still produces as much gold in shallow ground as either the Equinox or the Gold Monster. 

Bottom line any gold metal detector put over gold will hear it. The 6000 seems to be more apt to hear all and is not able to discriminate which should be an expectation for a 2021 detector. This results in making you dig a ton of small trash targets. If $6,000 dollars and a ton of trash target suits you then make the investment.

I see this detector in the $4,000 range by this time next year and Minelab releasing it's sequel by Christmas 2023 but I am no salesman 

Ok there are a lot of wierd comments in this big ol write up!

If you are running discrimination while you are hunting nuggets, i want to follow you with my " Cutting edge, overpriced" GPX5000 or my even my GoldBug2. Like most great detector prospectors on here, i have found nuggets that one detector will find and the other will not! And vise versa! Everyone here knows thats why, if you can afford it, then you own at least 2 different styles of detector, a PI and a VLF. 

And to be honest with you, if my detector wasn't picking up the tiniest of fly dookie sized metal, i would be worried!! All detectors pick up METAL TRASH. There is no getting around it! For one it keeps me from getting bored and for two, you know if you are banging the tiny metal trash, you know there is still a nugget there in that patch. Its been proven. 

As far as the benches in California being "too deep", i have friends over there that are banging nuggets on the benches every weekend with all sorts of different machines. Anything from the old GP Extreme all the way up to the 7000. And everything in between!!!

And for the sake of saving the question being asked on the detectors i have, i run a GoldBug2, GPX5000 and a Equinox. Every detector i have has a purpose on different gold!

• Like 7
  • well done 1

I've been detecting since I got out of the Army in 1976. I know a little bit about detecting gold in Arizona, and I know enough about Bill Southern, to listen when he speaks. If Bill says the new 6000 is his go to machine for nuggets, then 'nuff said.:miner:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Wondering if I could purchase the 6000 from you Bill and have a day outing in your area this winter.   I’m leaving Fla in a week and driving out to Reno.  I use my monster up in the sierras area and do pretty good but again the fires may keep me out.  So there’s always Rye Patch.  My first nugget came from there. 
Hope to do business with you.  Patty

• Like 1

Can I just give you a down payment! And pick up later.  I may visit a friend in Taos NM. Then make my way to Reno.   I know where you are in Az cause I’ve been on the GPAA claim there in Morristown.    Call you on Monday. Don’t want to interrupt your Sunday Swing.    Patty

I realize my comments may be contrary, But I have not yet seen evidence of the Latest greatest spend 6k on me, sliced  bread out doing the Gold Monster.

At least at the buy in level of a Gold Monster you would only need .5 oz. to pay for your machine.

I think all the gold I have seen on the forums so far would not buy a Gold Monster.

So I'll wait on the sliced bread and keep my knife. 

On 7/23/2021 at 7:08 PM, fishing8046 said:

The Minelab 6000 would  probably not be valuable in the Mother Load of California due to the trash...not many machines are.

Oh it very much is valuable. Here some finds from last weekend (Sierra County). The 6000 is a superb machine and worth every penny.

Hunting Trip 07-25.JPG

Edited by Gold Catcher
  • Like 6
  • well done 3

The 6000 is just another gold detector. "Greatest thing since sliced bread" Not

Looks like maybe a $100 bucks there. It will take some time to validate that investment.

10 percent of the prospectors find 90% of the gold. It is not the detector that finds gold but the prospector. Gold is not a replenished resource.

Let's see some of the trash you digging

Best of luck

Its not an investment.  How many other things do you buy that you have to validate as an investment?  If it was about the money then 90% of the people should just….invest.  Oh and stop buying things that just make you smile. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • well done 1

Anyone who says they dont dig trash while detecting is full of it!! And like i said, come detect with me!! You run your discrimination and ill follow you picking up the nuggies you leave behind.

• Like 4

I used to consider a detector an investment. I always bought good used equipment and tried to learn the heck out of it. What I lacked in technology I made up for in sweat and boot leather.

State of the art detectors will save a whole lot of sweat and boot leather. And they will shorten the learning curve considerably. 

Im not into detecting like I was a few years ago. It was an obsession. It has to be to be proficient at it. And I just don't have the time for an obsession right now.

But if I did decide to go back into the placers I would buy one of these new hotrod machines that get the tiny stuff. That is where the ounces are at in my neck of the woods.

There just isn't a lot of big huge gold in most places here. And a lot of good detectors like the GB2 just can't handle the hot ground. And the ones that can handle the ground won't get the small gold. The more technology you bring to the table the more gold you are going to find. 

I'm still getting gold out of every patch I have ever found. I know darn well that a more stable machine that searched a little deeper and hit on a little smaller target would make those old hammered spots a bonanza again. 

It would take six months or more of detecting to offset the price of a new detector though. If you looked at it as an investment you would have to match that with a whole lot of man hours to make it pay off. 

If you bought it simply because you had gold fever and loved digging up nuggets you wouldn't need to take it so seriously. I think the price would be something you would forget about after a couple good days digging gold.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, fishing8046 said:

Let's see some of the trash you digging

I totally understand your frustration. And yes, many areas in the Motherlode are so littered with trash that the only option you have is to use a VLF with iron probability meter. I prefer an iron meter over outright discrimination as it is more efficient and gives you more choices for decision making. Unfortunately, digging trash is just part of our game and unfortunately high end gold detecting technologies don't allow for discrimination. It took me a long time to figure out areas in the Motherlode where a PI or ZVT can be used productively. For instance, in most of the river canyons I just use my GM, but in other areas, perhaps a bit more remote, I use all three of my other machines (SDC, 6000, 7000) based on the circumstances and ground conditions. The old saying of "not one detector fits all" remains very true. That being said, you will find the 6000 as a very versatile, almost perfectly designed detector from an ergonomic perspective, that is equipped with smart technology, has broad applicability with 2 mono's and one special DD coil and is just pure fun to use. The signal response for fast timing gold up to good depth is unmatched by any other machine and the light weight and good ground handling makes this detector my to-go detector any day. Of course, it comes with a steep price tag. However, if you are willing to make a good investment for just one high end machine then the 6000 is the only detector I would recommend. And yes, I have a huge drum of trash. I call it the "drum of tears". But I also have a decent amount of gold, and most of all I have incredible memories and adventures in deserts and mountains that are more worth to me than the gold I find.

• Like 7
  • well done 1

BINGO!

"incredible memories and adventures in deserts and mountains that are more worth to me than the gold I find"

Whatever the cost of the so-called "investment", the real pay-off is in the experience . . . trash and all!

• Like 5