Nugget Shooter Forums

What is this stinkin a** rock I came across

While head hunting one day I looked out and saw this dude lying ahead.  I thought it looked interesting, but it stank like hell.  I don't know exactly the smell to compare it too but catfish stink bait seems kinda sorta close maybe but either way it's pretty awful.  I put the hole in it because I used it as a crucible one day so you can overlook that. Btw in louisiana

IMG_20210703_163514.jpg

IMG_20210703_163520.jpg

IMG_20210703_163514.jpg

IMG_20210703_163449.jpg

IMG_20210703_163422.jpg

IMG_20210703_163204.jpg

IMG_20210703_163137.jpg

IMG_20210703_163616.jpg

IMG_20210703_163603.jpg

IMG_20210703_163348.jpg

IMG_20210703_163245.jpg

IMG_20210703_163219.jpg

• Haha 1

On 7/14/2021 at 2:37 AM, Bedrock Bob said:

Hematite isn't heavy nor magnetic.

It is however sub metallic. And that is what it looks like in the window you cut.

The cuttings were brick red weren't they?

I'll have to cut it again when I get home I forgot to do a streak test And I can't remember the color of the cuttings But the first meteor wrong I ever found was hematite I believe and it was very heavy And strongly magnetic and obviously Metallic so much so I thought it was a chunk of metal for the longest.  This one does have a similar look I guess but its half as dense or more and it doesn't attract a magnet except where I burnt it at around that hole.  But I'll streak test it and probably get a better idea.

Hematite is usually not magnetic. But it can be sometimes.

Hematite comes in all sorts of ways. As pure heavy mineral and also as a constituent in rocks.

It is often sedimentary. Your rock is foliated indicating a sedimentary hematite formation. Foliation is something that meteorites don't have 

Streak color is everything when identifying iron minerals. Streak and luster is the only observation that is needed to differentiate (most) iron minerals that are commonly mistaken for meteorites. 

If it streaks in shades of red it is hematite. If it streaks in shades of grey it is magnetite. For all practical purposes that is how you tell terrestrial rocks from meteorites. Terrestrial stones have mineral iron. Meteorites have metallic iron. 

If you don't see free metallic iron it is simply not a meteorite. If it is not magnetic it is not a meteorite. If it streaks in shades of red or grey it is not a meteorite. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ordinary rock said:

Thanks for the reply that alot more information seemingly in a couple paragraphs about I d than I've been able to find or absorb over the past couple of years thank you

Agreed, very good info.  Would be great to compile all these types of excellent responses into one thread to refer people to.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ordinary rock said:

Sorry I didn't fully read your reply I guess.  It isnt heavy or metallic?  I was told the opposite.  Your right red streak sorry for the dumb question, can't believe I forgot the streak test

It can be heavy. Never metallic. Always sub-metallic... There is a difference!

Iron in the form of hematite often replaces organics and other soluble minerals. A stone that is a replacement can be heavy or light depending on the amount of hematite in there.

Some sedimentary hematite is as solid as it can be. That is heavier than most other rock. Some is only 25% of the total and won't make a rock seem very heavy. 

So it's kinda subjective. 

Most hematite concretions are "heavier" than they look. But the only way to really quantify "heavy" is by doing a specific gravity calculation.

Meteorites leave no particular streak color. It's watery beige slurry. But oxidized iron ALWAYS leaves a streak. So any suspect rock can be eliminated fast just by rubbing it across a board with some good sandpaper glued to it. Or on ceramic. Or any other hard abrasive surface. 

You are looking for free metallic iron in a meteorite. Shiny steel like a knife blade. Mineral iron is sub metallic. It is grey like graphite. It is almost metallic but has a porous surface. It changes overnight to a dull smoky finish. It is a subtle difference at first. But after you rub a window in a few stones you recognize the difference. 

Once you master the difference between sub-metallic and metallic luster you won't wonder about so many rocks. If you ever find one with actual flakes of free metallic iron you have something. Otherwise you are looking at the various forms of terrestrial mineral iron.

• Like 2