Nugget Shooter Forums

GPX 5000 External Battery

I just bought a Minelab GPX 5000, haven't received it yet. I see youtube videos of people using the same machine but doesn't look like they have an external battery on them anywhere. Am I missing something? Does the main unit have a built in battery and the external is just for extended use? Any help is appreciated.

Dean

My GPX 5000 has an external battery that sits on a harness where the battery is on the back.  I think the battery hidden on the back is why you didn't see it.  Look for two cords from the machine.  One is the headphones and the other will be the battery.  If the guy has wireless headphones, there still would be one cable to the battery.

I hope the battery is not moved to the machine.  The machine is pretty heavy to start with and moving the battery external makes it much easier to swing, especially with a bungee cord attaced to it.

Thanks Chris. I should be getting mine this week. I wonder if there is a belt mount for the battery. The guys I see don't have the harness on. Thanks again.

Dean

12 hours ago, DryHeat said:

I just bought a Minelab GPX 5000, haven't received it yet. I see youtube videos of people using the same machine but doesn't look like they have an external battery on them anywhere. Am I missing something? Does the main unit have a built in battery and the external is just for extended use? Any help is appreciated.

Dean

Can you link one of these videos to look at?

I have found out that the machines I see running without the harness are using Doc's screamer something or other that has a smaller battery and it mounts on to the control box cover.  The youtube channel "I Brake For Bedrock", Adam runs a GPX 5000 and utilizes another system similar to Doc's.

Dean 

• Like 1