Nugget Shooter Forums

SD2200d. Time to retire?

Hi all.

My wife and I do some fossicking in and around NSW where we live.  When on the hunt for gold what we have used are a SD2200d with a large coil, followed up by my wife with the sdc2300 or more recently the gold monster 1000 as it’s a bit lighter for her as clean up.  For our highly mineralised ground the sdc is more often than not the finder.  It’s 2021 and I’ve had the SD2200d for some time.  I’ve been fixin on the gpx series for some time since about the 4000 model.  With the 6000 release plenty of 4500 and 5000 machines are becoming available at prices less than a ute.  Which has got me tempted.  Nothing wrong with my SD and I’ve got an impressive collection of coils which I understand are not upwards compatible but she is a bit long in the tooth.  Surely some of you old goats remember using SD detectors and now have gpxs.  I’m curious if the upgrades are really that much better?   

Bear

14 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Hi all.

My wife and I do some fossicking in and around NSW where we live.  When on the hunt for gold what we have used are a SD2200d with a large coil, followed up by my wife with the sdc2300 or more recently the gold monster 1000 as it’s a bit lighter for her as clean up.  For our highly mineralised ground the sdc is more often than not the finder.  It’s 2021 and I’ve had the SD2200d for some time.  I’ve been fixin on the gpx series for some time since about the 4000 model.  With the 6000 release plenty of 4500 and 5000 machines are becoming available at prices less than a ute.  Which has got me tempted.  Nothing wrong with my SD and I’ve got an impressive collection of coils which I understand are not upwards compatible but she is a bit long in the tooth.  Surely some of you old goats remember using SD detectors and now have gpxs.  I’m curious if the upgrades are really that much better?   

Bear

Hi Bear,

Although I don't keep track of all the upgrades in comparable models of detectors since I sold my SD2200d almost 20 years ago, there are times that I wish I still had it. Most nugget hunters swear by the upgrades that you mentioned and I like the GPX5000 that I use now, but if you can get a newer model and keep your 2200, I would certainly recommend it. 

Mac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2021 at 9:23 PM, Polar Bear said:

I’m curious if the upgrades are really that much better?   

If it still works well and sounds as if it is I would keep it. And I would also be looking for a good GPX5000 if I could not see to paying $6000(USA) for a new GPX6000. From what little I have seen on videos so far the GPX6000 is picking up gold that all the other detectors have been swung over and missed. So yes the upgrades are well woth the choice to upgrade your equipment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 6000 here is $8000 so getting a bit pricey for me at the moment.  Used 5000s are around $4000aud so that is bit more palatable.   I would like to do some tests with someone local and see how my old girl stacks up.  thank you for the replies fellas.

Bear