Nugget Shooter Forums

Fools Gold Not So Foolish

Very interesting.  

Old Tom

Just gonna start with no didn't check the link....  

But the title of the post says so much without alot of words. 

There are far more valuable and rare metals than gold. The platinum group metals.  I bring this up because many have thrown away the platinum group thinking it was slag or something other than. 

That being said , don't rob yourself do the research, you never know what you might have thrown away. 

• Like 1

Back in the 80s dad and I used to dredge up a wash called Eugene gulch south of Prescott. There was a mine at the head of the wash that they were processing chalcopyrite in big flotation bins. Lots of pretty pyrite all over the ground. 

And.....I actually did dredge up some nice gold in that gulch. I really big 3 oz chunk and some smaller pieces. So, if you find an area that they were mining using this process, there might be detectable/dredgeble gold around! 

I edited this..got confused with another wash I detected a 1.25 oz out of. . It was a 3 oz nug.  It was crusted in rotten iron. I almost threw it out of the hole as I was down about 4-5 feet and had to throw a lot of rubble out due to the lack of suction,  but felt some weight and after rubbing on it....I saw some yellow! Oh ya....I check my throw pile really good after that!!! 

Tom H. 

30zer.jpg

• Like 7
  • well done 3

On 7/12/2021 at 8:57 PM, TomH said:

Back in the 80s dad and I used to dredge up a wash called Eugene gulch south of Prescott. There was a mine at the head of the wash that they were processing chalcopyrite in big flotation bins. Lots of pretty pyrite all over the ground. 

And.....I actually did dredge up some nice gold in that gulch. I really big 3 oz chunk and some smaller pieces. So, if you find an area that they were mining using this process, there might be detectable/dredgeble gold around! 

I edited this..got confused with another wash I detected a 1.25 oz out of. . It was a 3 oz nug.  It was crusted in rotten iron. I almost threw it out of the hole as I was down about 4-5 feet and had to throw a lot of rubble out due to the lack of suction,  but felt some weight and after rubbing on it....I saw some yellow! Oh ya....I check my throw pile really good after that!!! 

Tom H. 

30zer.jpg

Excellent find,  and the talons from many mining operations tend to yield several types of precious metals. Including the platinum group and  gold as well. This occurs because larger mining opps tend to have more content in their waste so it's always a good idea to backtrack behind them.  And nice pic. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 9:57 PM, TomH said:

Tom H. 

30zer.jpg

Very nice gold.

Is a permit required these days for dredging in Arizona? It wasn't when I was dredging during the 90's in  the Bradshaw's. Just wondering if things have changed any with regards to regulations.

• Thanks 1