Nugget Shooter Forums

Minelab SD2200V2

Ray in CA

Hey folks, unfortunately I need to let go of this detector due to my carpal tunnel syndrome (surgery looming in the future). I just don't have the strength in my hand to swing it for very long and I need to return to a lighter detector. This unit is in good condition and comes with a 11" mono, a 10x5 Joey coil, and a wall charger. However, I have no idea what to ask for it these days. I know I paid $900 for the detector about three or four years ago and then another couple hundred for the Joey coil. So make me a deal I can't refuse (no trades please). I'm in Chico so if you're local you can save on shipping.

Ray

IMG_3374.jpg

IMG_3375.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg

IMG_3377.jpg

IMG_3378.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
Posted (edited)

Joey coil has sold but I've decided to keep the detector, so it's no longer for sale.

Does anyone know where I can find a chest mount harness for this detector? I've looked around but can't find anything that might work. 

Edited by Ray in CA
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ray in CA said:

Joey coil has sold but I've decided to keep the detector, so it's no longer for sale.

Does anyone know where I can find a chest mount harness for this detector? I've looked around but can't find anything that might work. 

Hi Ray,  instead of a harness, get a small backpack or hydration pack and jury-rig a hip stick type of suspension for it. It helps take a lot of the weight off your arm and hand, and it is so much more functional than a harness!

On 3/16/2022 at 8:25 PM, GotAU? said:

Hi Ray,  instead of a harness, get a small backpack or hydration pack and jury-rig a hip stick type of suspension for it. It helps take a lot of the weight off your arm and hand, and it is so much more functional than a harness!

Interesting. Last summer I just attached a strap to my control box cover and slung it around my neck and shoulder. That seemed to help a lot but it sure was cumbersome. I just might have to improvise as you suggest to get a more comfortable way to carry the control box.

45 minutes ago, Ray in CA said:

Interesting. Last summer I just attached a strap to my control box cover and slung it around my neck and shoulder. That seemed to help a lot but it sure was cumbersome. I just might have to improvise as you suggest to get a more comfortable way to carry the control box.

The guy that used to sell the hipstick no longer sells them, but it would be an easy thing to copy- they work really well and support the weight of the detector very nicely:

11 hours ago, GotAU? said:

The guy that used to sell the hipstick no longer sells them, but it would be an easy thing to copy- they work really well and support the weight of the detector very nicely:

You mean they no longer make hip sticks?

4 hours ago, Morlock said:

You mean they no longer make hip sticks?

It appears so- unless there’s another website for it.

1 hour ago, pairadiceau said:

Last I heard JP in Australia got the rights to the hip stick from Chris Porter the inventor, you might contact him..  They are very helpful and worth the price in my opinion.

^^^this^^^. Totally worth it, definitely get one if you can.

Posted (edited)

I just ordered a shoulder harness off Amazon that should allow me to properly chest mount the control box. I'll let you all know how it works out when it arrives on Wednesday!

Edited by Ray in CA
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So FYI the harness from Amazon did not work. It was very uncomfortable and I just couldn't get the control box to sit right. I looked all over Walmart and Sportsmans Warehouse for anything that might work. Nothing. 

Then, I was rummaging through some duffle bags looking for lost tweezers and whala! I came across a strap that that can hook together under the velcro straps of my unit box cover while the other end of the strap goes over my neck comfortably thanks to a sewn in pad. It's very comfortable and not at all cumbersome to wear. My arm is saved! Plus, I can reach all my controls easily from either side.

Now, I have to find a new cover for my battery since mine is starting to tear at the clip.

IMG_4830.jpg

IMG_4831.jpg

• Like 1

I don’t see the tear.  I’ve fixed some stuff with a needle and thread.  A sewing store usually has needles strong enough to make it through the material.  I’m assuming the battery is the brown thing.  Have you looked for a case like that ina store that has attachments for tactical vests?

Edited by chrisski

You couldn't see the tear from those pics but you can see it in this one. I have yet to look for a replacement, but it doesn't look like needle and thread is going to fix it.

IMG_4833.jpg

59 minutes ago, Ray in CA said:

You couldn't see the tear from those pics but you can see it in this one. I have yet to look for a replacement, but it doesn't look like needle and thread is going to fix it.

IMG_4833.jpg

Can you use a denim iron on patch? You can put it behind the tear and iron it on from the front, then put a second patch ironed on from the front as well. To strengthen that, sew down the patch edges. Another option is to take it to a shoe repair shop, if they still exist in your area, they can fix packs and all sorts of stuff.

Actually, looking at it again I just might attempt a needle and thread repair. A patch won't work because you can't remove the clip from the pouch to put the patch in without removing the rivet that holds the clip in place. Worst case scenario I'm certain I can find some sort of small tactical case with a clip to use. As of now it stays on my control box cover but it just leans to one side, which aggravates my OC . At least I can now detect without killing my arm! Just have to wait until I'm fully recovered from my hernia surgery before hitting the hills.

I never had much luck with denim patches with the glue holding.  It stays glued long enough for me to sew it, but after a wash or two the glue is no longer sticking. May find sewing on a square of fabric may reinforce the area that it ripped.  Can even cut a couple slots in it so the clip still goes through.  A denim patch would actually work good if its big enough.  Ironed on and then sewed on.

I’ve tried other things like duct tape, which may last one trip.  I’ve tried other super tapes you see on tv with one piece of tape on each side of the hole, but that did not last long. 

Provided the fabric is still strong, needle and thread has worked the best for me.  Sometimes the fabric is just so old it just rips too easy.  

I’ve looked for Something to strengthen fabric, but have not found it.  Closest i came was perhaps a truck bed spray may make something rough and last longer, but that is easy to get on too thick and then its inflexible.  There’s got to be somethign out there to make fabric tougher, but I can’t find it.

Fixing this stuff is a huge trouble (wanted to use different words).  Sometimes its much cheaper to just buy it.  Other times you could search for days to find it. Other times can go through a few purchases to find the right thing.  Other times, a replacement is just not available.

Edited by chrisski

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 1:00 PM, Ray in CA said:

I have a barely used Minelab brand harness, if interested.