Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums

Rare New Mexico Quasicrystals!


Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, middleforkminer2 said:

Element 115 is more cool....:inocent:

 

I disagree.

Quasicrystals in rare minerals created by the first nuclear blast are way cooler than UFO's. Come on man. UFOs are for the weak minded to ponder.

Quasicrystals in red trinitite is something that relates to prospecting and minerals. Also to "treasure" hunting as well as meteorites. It is a cool observation on crystal structure. And most importantly it is the topic of this thread.

If you want to talk about UFOs and imaginary possibilities of what they may be why don't you just start a thread about that?

Do you suppose that little grey aliens from Beta Centauri are here to steal our red trinitite?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, middleforkminer2 said:

Don’t you need an electron microscope to look at them?

No. But you do need a microscope to see them.

I have a piece of green trinitite that you can look at. You may need glasses to see it. A microscope would come in handy to observe the crystal lattice for sure. 

I guess it all depends on how close you want to look and how much you want to see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

If you look at this specimen with a microscope you might be able to see pretty yellow crystals.
I think it was found somewhere in New Mexico. 

 

gettyimages-839229392-612x612.jpg

Maybe AFTER somebody shoots it with a high power rifle....:thumbsupanim...since these elusive crystals have also supposedly been found in high energy asteroid impact sites....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dakota Slim said:

If you look at this specimen with a microscope you might be able to see pretty yellow crystals.
I think it was found somewhere in New Mexico. 

 

gettyimages-839229392-612x612.jpg

Slim I think you are loosing your grip. As much complaining as you do about people posting on your threads, it seems you like would have the tact to avoid posting a picture of a bottle of urine on here. If anyone else posts something you don’t like you tend to accuse them of a variety of things like not having class, or to remind them that they are out of line because kids browse this forum. Yet here we are, looking at a bottle of urine that you decided was acceptable to post. You have strict rules when it comes to other people replying to your threads, but none of them seem to apply to you when you post. Reel it in man, Just speaking for myself here, but I don’t want to look at your pee bottle. I would not be at all surprised if you personally filled said bottle for this little photo shoot you thought was so funny. Since you are posting the pic I think we can pretty well determine that bottle is NOT from New Mexico. 

  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Caliche Chris said:

Slim I think you are loosing your grip. As much complaining as you do about people posting on your threads, it seems you like would have the tact to avoid posting a picture of a bottle of urine on here. If anyone else posts something you don’t like you tend to accuse them of a variety of things like not having class, or to remind them that they are out of line because kids browse this forum. Yet here we are, looking at a bottle of urine that you decided was acceptable to post. You have strict rules when it comes to other people replying to your threads, but none of them seem to apply to you when you post. Reel it in man, Just speaking for myself here, but I don’t want to look at your pee bottle. I would not be at all surprised if you personally filled said bottle for this little photo shoot you thought was so funny. Since you are posting the pic I think we can pretty well determine that bottle is NOT from New Mexico. 

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/bottle-of-urine-left-behind-as-the-clean-up-operation-news-photo/839229392?adppopup=true

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use red glass in my crafts. Red glass is made with gold as a pigment and is very rare. Tail light lenses and red lenses for beacons and stoplights were about the only red glass in production prior to the first nuclear blast.

After WW2 they figured out how to make red glass out of vitrified copper. It was still very expensive to make red glass but less cost prohibitive than gold pigments.

The only mass produced product that was ever sold in a red bottle was Schlitz beer in the mid to late 1940's. It was bottled in "Red Ruby Anchorglass" made by the Anchor Hocking bottle and glass company. Those bottles are a collector's item for sure.

The red trinitite gets its color from vitrified copper just like Red Ruby Anchorglass. And it was the first nuclear explosion that prompted them to use copper as a pigment for red glass.

I wonder if there are quasicrystals in Red Ruby Anchorglass? I wonder if anyone has looked closely enough at a piece of red glass to find out?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Caliche Chris said:

Wonderful! you still posted the pic. And now we know for sure it wasn’t from New Mexico. 

Right. But as they say, a picture says 1,000 words. Or is it the other way around?

Bedrock Bob Posted May 8:

All the nomads I know are decent folk. Only a few have large holding tanks. Most just use a soda bottle and huck it out the window when they go to town.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I thought you may have posted a photo of your own bottle of piss Slim. I'm "relieved" to know that you were actually prowling the internet for photos of someone else's bottle of piss.

:89:

I have large waste tanks Bob and I couldn't find any bottles to take photos of around here. I sure wasn't going to drive all the way to New Mexico to photograph the ones you described as being chucked out the window by the nomads you know. (The bottles you claim to bravely shoot with a high powered rifle.)

Do you suppose there are any quasicrystals in Nevada?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dakota Slim said:

I have large waste tanks Bob and I couldn't find any bottles to take photos of around here. I sure wasn't going to drive all the way to New Mexico to photograph the ones you described as being chucked out the window by the nomads you know. (The bottles you claim to bravely shoot with a high powered rifle.)

Do you suppose there are any quasicrystals in Nevada?

Guys who like to brag about the size of their holding tanks usually don't know where to insert the hose or how to operate the gate valve. At least that has been my observation.

There are probably Quasicrystals wherever there was high energy blast testing. There are Lots of sensors and wires involved in a test like that and it makes sense that when they are vaporized in a blast that they could produce Quasicrystals.

Meteorites produce Quasicrystals too. So it stands to reason that they would be produced in many types of testing. High energy laser tests, hypervelocity shots from light gas guns as well as large blast simulation using powdered metals as fuel might also produce them. All these types of tests are performed daily at facilities in both New Mexico and Nevada.

They found Quasicrystals in red trinitite by virtue of studying it. They may find Quasicrystals in many places now they know how they form.

They may exist in Red Ruby Anchorglass. They may even exist in your impressively proportioned holding tank that you are so proud of. We just don't know until we "look".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Guys who like to brag about the size of their holding tanks usually don't know where to insert the hose or how to operate the gate valve. At least that has been my observation.

There are probably Quasicrystals wherever there was high energy blast testing. There are Lots of sensors and wires involved in a test like that and it makes sense that when they are vaporized in a blast that they could produce Quasicrystals.

Meteorites produce Quasicrystals too. So it stands to reason that they would be produced in many types of testing. High energy laser tests, hypervelocity shots from light gas guns as well as large blast simulation using powdered metals as fuel might also produce them. All these types of tests are performed daily at facilities in both New Mexico and Nevada.

They found Quasicrystals in red trinitite by virtue of studying it. They may find Quasicrystals in many places now they know how they form.

They may exist in Red Ruby Anchorglass. They may even exist in your impressively proportioned holding tank that you are so proud of. We just don't know until we "look".

I wasn't bragging about the size of my waste tanks bob. I was making the point that *some* people (as you have admitted knowing) have no waste tanks at all and dispose of their bottles on the way to town. This was one of the problems that was highlighted in the movie Nomadland. I didn't see any mention of people using the bottles for target practice in the movie however. 

Quasicrystals are like these tardgrades in the sense that tests are being performed. They have proven they can survive being shot out of a high speed gun. 

 

PgnTAddQ5P4uAjDNksoSVF-970-80.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

:idunno:

 

New Mexico has had three major nuclear tests. The blast code named "Trinity" that was the first nuclear detonation. Project Gasbuggy which was an attempt to use a nuclear device to fracture a natural gas well. And project Gnome which was a detonation in a huge salt dome.

We have Los Alamos Labs and Sandia. Both of which spit atoms on a small scale. And we have more nuclear centrifuges in the little town of Eunice than Iran, Nort Korea, France and Israel combined.

Very near the site named "Trinity" is the LBTF. This is not an acronym for lesbians, bisexuals, transsexuals and fags. It stands for "Large Blast Test Facility". It is a spot where they test the effects of a nuclear blast without actually splitting atoms.

It is a huge arched building covering maybe ten acres. It is insulated steel with layers of sacrificial insulation. It is plumbed with propane and oxygen lines as well as a high pressure conveyance pipe to carry powdered metals. It is like a big burner at the end of the building.

They put test articles (tanks, planes, houses, armor, silicone people) on the floor of the test stand. Often in concrete bunkers or armored structures. They load their sensors and prepare for the blast.

The blast is initially a propane fireball that is fed oxygen. With the help of high speed switches the fireball is fed powdered metal. Tons of it. It starts with a magnesium stream but as temperatures and pressures increase they feed other metals. 

It all happens in a couple seconds. It creates a HUGE blast that approaches or equals the temperatures and pressures of a nuclear blast. 

Then there is the Hypervelocity facility at NASA Johnson Space Center WSTF. It is a 50 foot rifle that can shoot a projectile at cosmic speeds into a test cell that can simulate the vacuum of space. 

It starts with a torpedo primer that ignites a ten pound charge of IMR 4350 rifle powder. That drives a 6" Teflon slug forward in a 20 foot barrel. This creates TONS of pressure in the barrel in front of the slug.

At the end of the barrel there is a copper disk that ruptures at a given pressure. It sits in front of a barrel that is (usually) 1.5" in diameter. That barrel is purged of all air using helium and then purged with hydrogen. Then drawn down to an extreme vacuum with the test cell. 

The projectile sits in a machined polymer sabot that carries it down the barrel. When the torpedo primer sets off the powder and the pressure breaks the copper disk it drives the projectile through simulated space and into the target.

If it is fired into the ambient atmosphere it simulates entry into the atmosphere. It makes a bolide and things go fast enough to burn. They can simulate a cosmic impact.

Just about 30 miles away is the HELSTF/WSMR. It is a big freaking laser. It can vaporize a 55 gallon barrel of metal powder at a range of 40 miles. They have blasted every conceivable object to smithereens out there for 30 years. No doubt there are Quasicrystals laying around.

A few miles to the east and still at HELSTF is Da Vinci's dream child. The electromagnetic rail gun. It will propel a "sled" down a rail using a magnetic wave. 

They use it to smash stuff up with. But the secret is how fast it will actually go. An electromagnetic pulse moves pretty quick. Those electrons are mighty fast. Potentially you could build a racecar that could travel down that rail at the speed of electricity. 

They have been playing with the electromagnetic rail gun for 15 years.  They have made objects travel so fast that they vaporize. Again, there are probably a few 10 carat Quasicrystals out there.

That is just the quasicrystal potential that I know of near me. No doubt there are many more. And if red trinitite has them I bet there are other rare and odd "minerals" out there that have them too.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

:idunno:

 

New Mexico has had three major nuclear tests. The blast code named "Trinity" that was the first nuclear detonation. Project Gasbuggy which was an attempt to use a nuclear device to fracture a natural gas well. And project Gnome which was a detonation in a huge salt dome.

We have Los Alamos Labs and Sandia. Both of which spit atoms on a small scale. And we have more nuclear centrifuges in the little town of Eunice than Iran, Nort Korea, France and Israel combined.

Very near the site named "Trinity" is the LBTF. This is not an acronym for lesbians, bisexuals, transsexuals and fags. It stands for "Large Blast Test Facility". It is a spot where they test the effects of a nuclear blast without actually splitting atoms.

It is a huge arched building covering maybe ten acres. It is insulated steel with layers of sacrificial insulation. It is plumbed with propane and oxygen lines as well as a high pressure conveyance pipe to carry powdered metals. It is like a big burner at the end of the building.

They put test articles (tanks, planes, houses, armor, silicone people) on the floor of the test stand. Often in concrete bunkers or armored structures. They load their sensors and prepare for the blast.

The blast is initially a propane fireball that is fed oxygen. With the help of high speed switches the fireball is fed powdered metal. Tons of it. It starts with a magnesium stream but as temperatures and pressures increase they feed other metals. 

It all happens in a couple seconds. It creates a HUGE blast that approaches or equals the temperatures and pressures of a nuclear blast. 

Then there is the Hypervelocity facility at NASA Johnson Space Center WSTF. It is a 50 foot rifle that can shoot a projectile at cosmic speeds into a test cell that can simulate the vacuum of space. 

It starts with a torpedo primer that ignites a ten pound charge of IMR 4350 rifle powder. That drives a 6" Teflon slug forward in a 20 foot barrel. This creates TONS of pressure in the barrel in front of the slug.

At the end of the barrel there is a copper disk that ruptures at a given pressure. It sits in front of a barrel that is (usually) 1.5" in diameter. That barrel is purged of all air using helium and then purged with hydrogen. Then drawn down to an extreme vacuum with the test cell. 

The projectile sits in a machined polymer sabot that carries it down the barrel. When the torpedo primer sets off the powder and the pressure breaks the copper disk it drives the projectile through simulated space and into the target.

If it is fired into the ambient atmosphere it simulates entry into the atmosphere. It makes a bolide and things go fast enough to burn. They can simulate a cosmic impact.

Just about 30 miles away is the HELSTF/WSMR. It is a big freaking laser. It can vaporize a 55 gallon barrel of metal powder at a range of 40 miles. They have blasted every conceivable object to smithereens out there for 30 years. No doubt there are Quasicrystals laying around.

A few miles to the east and still at HELSTF is Da Vinci's dream child. The electromagnetic rail gun. It will propel a "sled" down a rail using a magnetic wave. 

They use it to smash stuff up with. But the secret is how fast it will actually go. An electromagnetic pulse moves pretty quick. Those electrons are mighty fast. Potentially you could build a racecar that could travel down that rail at the speed of electricity. 

They have been playing with the electromagnetic rail gun for 15 years.  They have made objects travel so fast that they vaporize. Again, there are probably a few 10 carat Quasicrystals out there.

That is just the quasicrystal potential that I know of near me. No doubt there are many more. And if red trinitite has them I bet there are other rare and odd "minerals" out there that have them too.

 

I think the UFO's people have been seeing are powered by electromagnetism. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dakota Slim said:

Right. But as they say, a picture says 1,000 words. Or is it the other way around?

Bedrock Bob Posted May 8:

All the nomads I know are decent folk. Only a few have large holding tanks. Most just use a soda bottle and huck it out the window when they go to town.

Yes Slim, you are quoting a post from an entirely different thread. One that you started and where you were the person to bring up waste tanks. The conversation seemed to shift to pee bottles from there. If you wanted to post a pic of a pee bottle so bad why not do it there? It’s weird that you just randomly posted a pee bottle on an entirely different thread for no reason. There was no part of this thread topic or the brief discussion about the topic that had anything to do with a pee bottle , that’s the point I’m trying to make. If you want to talk about pee bottles so bad go back to your thread where that discussion started so we can atleast keep your pee mess contained to one area of the forum. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I use red glass in my crafts. Red glass is made with gold as a pigment and is very rare. Tail light lenses and red lenses for beacons and stoplights were about the only red glass in production prior to the first nuclear blast.

After WW2 they figured out how to make red glass out of vitrified copper. It was still very expensive to make red glass but less cost prohibitive than gold pigments.

The only mass produced product that was ever sold in a red bottle was Schlitz beer in the mid to late 1940's. It was bottled in "Red Ruby Anchorglass" made by the Anchor Hocking bottle and glass company. Those bottles are a collector's item for sure.

The red trinitite gets its color from vitrified copper just like Red Ruby Anchorglass. And it was the first nuclear explosion that prompted them to use copper as a pigment for red glass.

I wonder if there are quasicrystals in Red Ruby Anchorglass? I wonder if anyone has looked closely enough at a piece of red glass to find out?

That’s really cool, I knew that read glass was rare but I didn’t know it was that scarce! Thats like hunting for gems almost. Very interesting that they got the idea for their glass from the atomic blast results too. I doubt I’ll ever have any red trinitite in my collection but I am definitely going to step up my efforts and try and get some pieces of red glass from some old bottle dumps! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found some broken red Anchorglass just off the old highway about where that boat was wrecked in the river. 

There are some ancient gravel benches just east of the road with a power line running with the road. There are lots of old dump piles in there. I found several nice old liquor bottles and a big broken red glass serving tray. 

I think there were a few little stick houses in there right after the war. There are just a few foundations scattered around and dump piles almost completely blended into the gravel.

That gravel has a little color in it. Not much but enough to see in every couple pans. It is above Palomas so it must have originated between Palomas Gap and Turtleback.

There is a strip there about a mile long and a half mile wide on the west side of the river that has the most beautiful coarse oval gravel you have ever seen. Like cabochons. Mostly that deep red granitic gravel from the Caballos. 

I don't think anyone has ever dug a hole over there. There is no telling how far it is to bedrock but the bottom of that gravel strata could be pretty rich. It is ancient Rio Grande flood gravel for sure.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2021 at 5:57 PM, Bedrock Bob said:

I found some broken red Anchorglass just off the old highway about where that boat was wrecked in the river. 

There are some ancient gravel benches just east of the road with a power line running with the road. There are lots of old dump piles in there. I found several nice old liquor bottles and a big broken red glass serving tray. 

I think there were a few little stick houses in there right after the war. There are just a few foundations scattered around and dump piles almost completely blended into the gravel.

That gravel has a little color in it. Not much but enough to see in every couple pans. It is above Palomas so it must have originated between Palomas Gap and Turtleback.

There is a strip there about a mile long and a half mile wide on the west side of the river that has the most beautiful coarse oval gravel you have ever seen. Like cabochons. Mostly that deep red granitic gravel from the Caballos. 

I don't think anyone has ever dug a hole over there. There is no telling how far it is to bedrock but the bottom of that gravel strata could be pretty rich. It is ancient Rio Grande flood gravel for sure.

 

 

I think that spot you found the red glass is near where I saw a couple new white pickups parked and official looking guys with orange vests and hard hats wandering around in there. I thought they were going to start some construction but the logo on there truck said something or other “archeological” I can’t remember what it was exactly but it caught my attention because I knew they were looking for something interesting in there. I bet there are some good spots in there somewhere. There’s a place right after that big bend in the river that tries to smash you into the trees when your kayaking, where you can get color in almost every pan, and that’s in the sloppy mud right on the surface. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not too far south of the spot where the tree eats kayaks there is a gold processing plant in a semi trailer parked on a hill. It has been there since the 70's. 

They got pretty good gold out of there. I stumbled on the spot while prospecting with a friend and his dad way back when I was a kid. We went back 3-4 times and did lots of test pans. There is a ton of fine gold flakes in there.

It takes hours to get in there. That was all State Land I think. But it is so far off the grid that im not sure any State employee has ever ben there. It was leased for grazing by a guy named Bob Cunningham that died many moons ago and someone else probably grazes a few rank range cattle in there now.

I was looking over there through my rifle scope a few years back and saw that trailer still parked in there. The road is so bad now I don't think you could get a semi tractor in there to drag it out. There is a big drum with a helical rubber concentrator and a jig table/sluice set up. A nice cleanup basin and everything. They drilled a well and had a pad where a big generator sat. It was a full blown gold mine at one point. You can see where they were cleaning out three little canyons around it and hauling material up to the trailer.

My buddy's dad (Carl) tried to claim the spot or get permission to work it. I don't think he was ever successful. He died about ten years ago. Im not sure if Carl has any of his records or knows what actually transpired with that venture.

Anyhoo, yeah. There is some good gold over there that is not on any records. Everyone knows about the gold north and south of it. But those endless canyons in between have always been a mystery that very few have explored. 

The spot we are talking about on the river is maybe a half mile down the hill from that trailer wash plant and not too far north or south. 

Lots of gold washed out of those mountains eons ago. No veins are left. They are all weathered away. No doubt that gold is spread out all the way to Hatch. But where those canyons met the river (now or in ages past) there is probably some deep buried placer.

There are several places where that conglomerate bedrock raises up in sills and the river has cut down to it.  The gravel is just a few feet thick. When that section of the river is dry or just a trickle it may be worth prospecting.

I know an old guy that put a big 8" dredge in there somewhere back in the mid 80's. He only worked for a day or two before the Dept. Of Interior ran him off and fined him. He got some gold for his efforts but didn't get the chance to work long. 

If a guy went at it a little differently you could probably do some good in there. I always thought that it would be a great place to go in the dead of winter but I have never gone back to prospect.

Every time Im in there I think about all the millions of tons of gravel that has washed out of those canyons. There is bound to be a paystreak from hell in there somewhere on that bedrock.

That is probably the #1 place that I know of that a guy could find gold in a virtually untouched spot. There has been just enough work done to know it is there but not enough work done to know the extent of it.

With the river channel contained to that spot for the past 80 years and no access the possibility of a rich deposit is good. It would take a young man with a strong back a long time to locate it. But if you did find a spot it could hold a heck of a lot of gold.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...