Nugget Shooter Forums

Wanted! Keene 160 dry washer.

cwolf

I'm looking for an almost new Keene 160 drywasher. With or without the bucket vac blower. Any advice on this being a good or bad choice would be appreciated also. I'm new to drywashing and metal detecting. I did some panning as a kid in Georgia and some detecting near prescott Valley a couple weeks ago. 

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

Not many dry washers for sale now, even on Craigslist. 

I can only recommend be open to what pops up for sale, may be a while before you see a 160.

• Thanks 1

If you are new to dry washing, or a seasoned dry washer , I would shy away from that joke of a contraption. Its not " dustless" I assure you!

Find a Keene 140 or 151 . Much simpler of a design, lighter weight, easier to set up etc. I guarantee, there is nothing special about the 160 except the high price, and the two machines I mentioned will do just as good at recovery ( if not better ) when running properly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got a 46 ye4ar old Keene with only about 2 hours on it. It's got a Briggs engine mounted on an aluminum blower, and a couple of years ago I fired it right up after it sat for 40+ years. But it needs a hose. I'd happily take $500 for it. I'm tired of tripping over it in the shop. Idaho's too wet to use a dry washer. I bought it not knowing that...LOL. Used it one day, and it hasn't been used since. That was back in 1976.

Jim

18 hours ago, adam said:

If you are new to dry washing, or a seasoned dry washer , I would shy away from that joke of a contraption. Its not " dustless" I assure you!

I've never seen the dustless drywasher before I looked at this.  Wasn't really sure what the side contraptions were or if you could look inside to fine tune the sand going down the trays.

16 hours ago, Idaho Jim said:

it needs a hose

It this hose the same size as an RV sewer hose?  Used to be a local manufacturer in Youngtown and the ones he made could have a RV sewer hose hooked up.  New sewer hose; not used of course. :rolleyes:  $500 is on heck of a deal.

Edited by chrisski

18 hours ago, Idaho Jim said:

I've got a 46 ye4ar old Keene with only about 2 hours on it. It's got a Briggs engine mounted on an aluminum blower, and a couple of years ago I fired it right up after it sat for 40+ years. But it needs a hose. I'd happily take $500 for it. I'm tired of tripping over it in the shop. Idaho's too wet to use a dry washer. I bought it not knowing that...LOL. Used it one day, and it hasn't been used since. That was back in 1976.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I think I'll hold out for a newer one. I'd love to see a picture of the one you have. Haven't seen much on older ones. 

19 hours ago, adam said:

Find a Keene 140 or 151 . Much simpler of a design, lighter weight, easier to set up etc. I guarantee, there is nothing special about the 160 except the high price, and the two machines I mentioned will do just as good at recovery ( if not better ) when running properly.

I was thinking about the 140 also. I figured the the 151 might be too much for me to keep up with by myself. 

20 hours ago, chrisski said:

Not many dry washers for sale now, even on Craigslist. 

I can only recommend be open to what pops up for sale, may be a while before you see a 160.

I noticed. I mostly find the 151 for sale and a couple royals. 

3 hours ago, chrisski said:

I've never seen the dustless drywasher before I looked at this.  Wasn't really sure what the side contraptions were or if you could look inside to fine tune the sand going down the trays.

It this hose the same size as an RV sewer hose?  Used to be a local manufacturer in Youngtown and the ones he made could have a RV sewer hose hooked up.  New sewer hose; not used of course. :rolleyes:  $500 is on heck of a deal.

It just uses any 4" hose. I imagine even a dryer vent hose would work, but probably wouldn't last very long. The hose that came with it was just sort of a heavy-duty dryer hose. It just slips on and is held by hose clamps at each end. I'm thinking a sewer hose might be overkill, but would work OK.

jim

On 5/15/2021 at 9:43 AM, cwolf said:

I'm looking for an almost new Keene 160 drywasher. With or without the bucket vac blower. Any advice on this being a good or bad choice would be appreciated also. I'm new to drywashing and metal detecting. I did some panning as a kid in Georgia and some detecting near prescott Valley a couple weeks ago. 

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

Where are you located?  I have a clean Royal large I may be letting go, I will be using it out over memorial day weekend in Southwestern Az, but I live in So Cal.  If you are anywhere between Yuma and Quartzite this weekend, or in So Cal afterwards, maybe we can meet up. PM if interested.

Edited by GotAU?

1 hour ago, GotAU? said:

Where are you located?  I have a clean Royal large I may be letting go, I will be using it out over memorial day weekend in Southwestern Az, but I live in So Cal.  If you are anywhere between Yuma and Quartzite this weekend, or in So Cal afterwards, maybe we can meet up. PM if interested.

Thank you but I purchased one this weekend. Good luck out there.

On 5/15/2021 at 9:43 AM, cwolf said:

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

Where are you located?  I would set up a visit with some experienced folks to see how different models work first. My buddies did that for me and I got to try out puffers and blower types. It was a good experience. That’s why I ended up with one of each!:D

Edited by GotAU?

4 hours ago, GotAU? said:

Where are you located?  I would set up a visit with some experienced folks to see how different models work first. My buddies did that for me and I got to try out puffers and blower types. It was a good experience. That’s why I ended up with one of each!:D

Oops, didn't read above this- good luck out there to you too! :thumbsupanim

14 hours ago, GotAU? said:

Oops, didn't read above this- good luck out there to you too! :thumbsupanim

Thanks for your reply. I still want to meet with someone experienced to make sure I'm doing it correctly and learn more about what to look for first hand. I live in Goodyear. Was in the dewey humbolt area this weekend but don't I will find much when I pan it out at home.

You can toss some lead shot in for practice.  It’s nice when out prospecting and some gold is visible in the top riffle.

Try the I “I brake for bedrock channel.”  A couple of local rock stars of gold mining put out videos there.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjA9f-Q2PTwAhWErp4KHYPJDdoQFjAAegQIAhAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Foxygen365&usg=AOvVaw3IQ3M6rbv9GE2jDxls1P19

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cwolf said:

Thanks for your reply. I still want to meet with someone experienced to make sure I'm doing it correctly and learn more about what to look for first hand. I live in Goodyear. Was in the dewey humbolt area this weekend but don't I will find much when I pan it out at home.

Join a local club like the Roadrunner Prospectors in Phoenix or the Desert Gold Diggers club in Tucson, they both have some good claims around you and even if you’re just with them a year you’ll get a lot of opportunities to meet up with folks that can help show you all the ins and outs to it.

Edited by GotAU?
  • Like 1