Nugget Shooter Forums

meteorite passes mag test maybe legit?help play.

I couldn't keep the rust off it so I wire brushed it off mostly, and baked it,  and used CLR. It weighs almost 300 grams,  also we don't have conglomerates like that up here.  Im from the top of Minnesota.  We don't have green rocks, honestly I have never seen something this heavy and extremely magnetic. There still is some of the crusty black char on it.

8 hours ago, Mark09 said:

also we don't have conglomerates like that up here.  Im from the top of Minnesota.  We don't have green rocks, 

So you've personally performed a geologic survey of the entire top half of the state?  Impressive, where can I see your findings published?  Just one google search finds lots of green rocks in your state: green rocks found in minnesota - Google Search

When the glaciers came through during the last ice age, they drug all sorts of stuff with them.

100% not a meteorite.

Edited by Mikestang
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mark09 said:

Guess I shouldn't be worried about running it through a wet saw.  Lol. Or.....???

A fantastic idea. A freshly cut surface will reveal what is inside.

If you have metallic iron in there you have a suspect stone. If you don't you just have a rock.

The rock has no indication of being a meteorite. You are going to have to find some indication that it is. The only way to do that is find chondrules or free metallic iron. And the only way to do that is cut the sucker open. 

It's an earth rock until there is some evidence to the contrary. It is up to you to provide some type of evidence it is a meteorite.

• Like 1