Nugget Shooter Forums

Nomadland

This film won an Oscar for Best Picture this year and much of it was filmed around Quartzsite. 
I think the Q will be overrun this year. The RV market is red hot and people less fortunate are living in cars and vans.  
I watched the movie and enjoyed it. I've been a full time RV'er for 17 years and never thought much about others as I was pretty much minding my own business and prospecting for gold in the outback or bounty fishing in WA while still doing some work on the internet. Everyone is different and has their own set of circumstances.
One of the things that stood out in the movie as I watched, was that people in vans or sleeping in cars are unwelcome in many places. I've been fortunate enough to have owned 2 nice motorhomes with larger fresh water and waste tanks and in my 17 years as a nomad I can only think of a couple times that I was urged to move on. 
I'm sure everyone has seen video footage of the homeless encampments in some of our major cities. I haven't seen, but I have heard about similar squalor in some remote rural areas. 
Times are changing and I wonder how post covid nomads will fare.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

My dream has always been to own a nicer motor home with a large fresh water and waste tank. 

That's stylin' right there bro.

Did you have something to say about the movie Bob? Maybe something to say about nomads you have run into or come to know? Maybe how they trash the public lands you haunt? Heck, maybe even something about Quartzsite? 
Or is it that you can't pass by one of my posts without spewing some of your nauseous gas?

41 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

Did you have something to say about the movie Bob? Maybe something to say about nomads you have run into or come to know? Maybe how they trash the public lands you haunt? Heck, maybe even something about Quartzsite? 
Or is it that you can't pass by one of my posts without spewing some of your nauseous gas?

I haven't seen the movie Slim.

All the nomads I know are decent folk. Only a few have large holding tanks. Most just use a soda bottle and huck it out the window when they go to town.

Campsites are always trashy. And lots of people camping these days. It's a problem but not for me. I have bigger fish to fry.

I have been to Quartzsite many times. Just passing through though. Back in the day I hit La Paz pretty often but Quartzsite was always too much BS for me. I did find a few little pieces of gold right off the highway with a detector. But I did a lot better a few miles west and north.

I just thought I would comment about your luxury motor chateaux. I didn't think you would get all emotional about it. I don't see anything about my comment that could cause you distress. If it did I am very sorry.

How big is the holding tank on that mobile mansion of yours anyway?

:)

• Irritated 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dakota Slim said:

Your Bob gene is showing, Mr Slim.

The subject brings to mind the gent  that owns Cerro Gordo. 8500' on the east side of Owens, several hundred acres, anyway. 

The Ag mining  nomads are long gone from that ghosttown. 

Later on,  Zn nomads took over.

Still later,  recovery nomads ruled when profitable values of both  metals ⁰were found in the abundant tails.

Below, mule nomads headed for Los Angeles...only 275 miles away. Or headed back with goods, more likely. The fresh and greywater tanks on the mules were, well, er, uh, I got nuthin:th:

mule-train-e1485371769774.jpg

Edited by Stillweaver hillbelli

All the nomads I know are decent folk. Only a few have large holding tanks. Most just use a soda bottle and huck it out the window when they go to town.

Campsites are always trashy. And lots of people camping these days. It's a problem but not for me. I have bigger fish to fry.

:)

I knew you were a classy guy bob. 

• wow 1

Aren't the Post Covid Nomads a punk group out of Australia?

Just kidding Slim. It was a cool.phrase and it made me giggle. I don't giggle often. 

So cheers to you Slim! You ol' post covid nomad you. You made me giggle with your witty wordworking skillz. 

...'bout a 45 gallon capacity I recon?

3 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Your Bob gene is showing, Mr Slim.

The subject brings to mind the gent  that owns Cerro Gordo. 8500' on the east side of Owens, several hundred acres, anyway. 

The Ag mining  nomads are long gone from that ghosttown. 

Later on,  Zn nomads took over.

Still later,  recovery nomads ruled when profitable values of both  metals ⁰were found in the abundant tails.

Below, mule nomads headed for Los Angeles...only 275 miles away. Or headed back with goods, more likely. The fresh and greywater tanks on the mules were, well, er, uh, I got nuthin:th:

mule-train-e1485371769774.jpg

The new age post covid nomads are fat stacking benjies rippin lips for five bucks a bang on the Columbia River these days.

Thars gold in them thar scales. And the post covid nomads are gettin' some with the bounty fishing gig.

Their holding tanks are yuge. They have the most tremendous holding tanks. Believe me there is no one with bigger holding tanks.

When these boys drop that dunnage into the ditch it takes TWO packages of blue stuff to fill those bad boys. They aren't just visiting the porta potty. Their taking it with them!

Lip rippin' post covid nomads with two tablet tanks. Tearin up the highway in search of adventure. If that doesn't spell freedom then nothing does!

Here is a link to the trailer (or motor chateaux)....

The new age post covid nomads are fat stacking benjies rippin lips for five bucks...(snig bip:89::shhhhh::2drink:)

:excl:Transration prease: i don't know new me x ican.

Catching many fish? "fat stacking"

You show your stringer to a FWS desk jockey, and he dings your duckets ( bengies)based on headcount?  :idunno:

44 minutes ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

:excl:Transration prease: i don't know new me x ican.

Catching many fish? "fat stacking"

You show your stringer to a FWS desk jockey, and he dings your duckets ( bengies)based on headcount?  :idunno:

Fat stacking benjies = making lots of money (Benjamin Franklin is on a $100 bill. If I have a fat stack of that $h!t I am groovin. Groovin = good).

Rippin lips = fishing. (Cuz their lips get ripped)

So they are making money fishing the Columbia River for 5 bucks a jerk. (tug, pull, bite) on fish they return for a bounty (reward, renumeration).

All the post covid nomads are doin' it. Leastwise the ones with big holding tanks are.

They are lip rippin post covid nomads with two tablet tanks. If they aren't rooting in the regolith for riches they are pulling a pole for pikeminnow and piling up the pay.

Get with the lingo Stillbeaver. It's 2021. You need some variety in your vernacular. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Irritated 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

So they are making money fishing the Columbia River for 5 bucks a jerk. (tug, pull, bite) on fish they return for a bounty (reward, renumeration).

Fish have a bounty : like coyotes and rancors?  Who pays them?:89:  Are Asian Carp in the Columbia , now, and draw a bounty?  Or do hungry vacationing nomads  take up the slack to fill their grill?

:useless:

26 minutes ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Fish have a bounty : like coyotes and rancors?  Who pays them?:89:  Are Asian Carp in the Columbia , now, and draw a bounty?  Or do hungry vacationing nomads  take up the slack to fill their grill?

:useless:

Google "bounty fishing". Google "pikeminnow". 

Push the envelope man. 

Maybe Slim could explain it better. He's a lip ripping post covid nomad. That is his field of expertise. I think he posted about bounty fishing a few years back. 

All I know about it is you have to have a very large holding tank and they pay by the fish.

10 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Google "bounty fishing". Google "pikeminnow". 

Push the envelope man. 

Maybe Slim could explain it better. He's a lip ripping post covid nomad. That is his field of expertise. I think he posted about bounty fishing a few years back. 

All I know about it is you have to have a very large holding tank and they pay by the fish.

It's obvious that you've taken a liking to me bob, and have a keen interest in anything I post. Unfortunately the feeling is not mutual. 
In the movie -- the subject of this post -- there is a discussion about how to handle human waste. 
You have told us how your friends simply put it in a bottle and toss it on their way to town. People with large holding tanks are much more friendly to the environment. They can store lots of it and dump it at places that are designed for that purpose.
Speaking of bottles, are the above mentioned bottles the same ones you said you use for target practice? Do you toss them in the air, draw your six gun and shoot at them before they hit the ground? 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

It's obvious that you've taken a liking to me bob, and have a keen interest in anything I post. Unfortunately the feeling is not mutual. 
In the movie -- the subject of this post -- there is a discussion about how to handle human waste. 
You have told us how your friends simply put it in a bottle and toss it on their way to town. People with large holding tanks are much more friendly to the environment. They can store lots of it and dump it at places that are designed for that purpose.
Speaking of bottles, are the above mentioned bottles the same ones you said you use for target practice? Do you toss them in the air, draw your six gun and shoot at them before they hit the ground? 

I love shooting piss bombs Slim! It is a lot of fun. I don't shoot toss up with a handgun though. I nail them with a rifle at a distance.

I suppose people with large holding tanks are more environmentally friendly compared to someone who tosses a piss bomb. If you set the bar low enough anyone can be an environmentalist. Since my turds go straight into a septic system that must make me an eco-warrior.

I bet you have at least 40 gallons of chunky blue effluent tucked away in a tank somewhere right now. That is quite a commitment. You should be honored for your part in helping to protect our environment and preserve our planet. Maybe Greta Thornburg will send you a membership to her fan club.

I do like you Slim! You are a good guy. You are sensitive, caring and fun to have a conversation with. I know you can get a bit grumpy sometimes but that is what makes you such a special person.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2021 at 12:32 PM, Dakota Slim said:

This film won an Oscar for Best Picture this year and much of it was filmed around Quartzsite. 

Times are changing and I wonder how post covid nomads will fare.

I am sure they're buckin up.

Now, Adam Larey,  ol' Wansfell hisself, was a nomad king.

Good topic.... but “generally” speaking, there’s a HUGE difference between living a  nomadic lifestyle and living day to day with the “homeless” frame of mind...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, middleforkminer2 said:

Good topic.... but “generally” speaking, there’s a HUGE difference between living a  nomadic lifestyle and living day to day with the “homeless” frame of mind...

Homelessness isn't a frame of mind. Nor is it a choice in most cases. Homelessness is a situation. Not a lifestyle.

Being a nomad is a choice. It is not a situation, it IS a lifestyle.

Being a nomad and being homeless are two completely different things. I'm not sure why some folks equate one with the other. I suppose many folks don't understand either one so they seem "similar".

Like the main character said in the movie, "Im not homeless. Just houseless". 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Homelessness isn't a frame of mind. Nor is it a choice in most cases. Homelessness is a situation. Not a lifestyle.

Being a nomad is a choice. It is not a situation, it IS a lifestyle.

Agree that being a nomad is a choice, but you’re wrong about a big portion of the homeless being a “situation”.... unless you’re talking about a situation they either created or inserted themselves into... but most of them have no interest in trying to better themselves as long as they can get through another day/week/month on the generosity of govt and NGOs..... I don’t know if you’re paying attention, but right now job availability is probably at an all time high...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, middleforkminer2 said:

Agree that being a nomad is a choice, but you’re wrong about a big portion of the homeless being a “situation”.... unless you’re talking about a situation they either created or inserted themselves into... but most of them have no interest in trying to better themselves as long as they can get through another day/week/month on the generosity of govt and NGOs..... I don’t know if you’re paying attention, but right now job availability is probably at an all time high...

I disagree.

Homelessness is not about getting a job. Most homeless are employed full time. They don't make enough for a place to live and still have money to eat. Some people simply can't get a job or hold one. Others have such severe health or mental problems employment is impossible.  

The stereotypical archetype of a homeless person is not the reality. You can't point to some street person and say they are representative of the homeless population. That is absurd.

It is absolutely untrue that most homeless people have no interest in bettering themselves. That is a cruel lie from a privileged perspective. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Being homeless has nothing to do with being a "nomad". Nor does it have anything to do with "living off the government". Or being lazy. Or having character flaws.

Homelessness is a situation that we are all just one set of circumstances away from. Every darn one of us.

Homelessness is not a choice nor a lifestyle. Being a post covid nomad is both.

• Like 1
  • Irritated 1

From a privileged perspective??? LMFAO..... :laught16:  drugs/alcohol knows no privilege... and regardless what you may THINK, that is what the major problem is....and THAT is/was a choice they consciously chose... and don’t try to tell me there aren’t programs available to give them a hand UP instead of a hand OUT.... it’s a lifestyle as much as the Nomadic is....

• Like 1
  • well done 1

1 hour ago, middleforkminer2 said:

From a privileged perspective??? LMFAO..... :laught16:  drugs/alcohol knows no privilege... and regardless what you may THINK, that is what the major problem is....and THAT is/was a choice they consciously chose... and don’t try to tell me there aren’t programs available to give them a hand UP instead of a hand OUT.... it’s a lifestyle as much as the Nomadic is....

You are confusing addicts and street people with homeless. Sure addicts are homeless and they chose their path to the bottom. But most homeless aren't addicts and didn't.

Homelessness is not about addiction. Your stereotypical model of an addict on the street is not what homelessness looks like.

The idea that homeless people consciously chose their lifestyle shows a lack of understanding about the problem. And yes, privilege.

The people you visualize as the homeless population do not represent the vast majority. It is an illusion based upon your limited knowledge of the situation. The only people you see that are homeless may indeed be what you think they are. That is because you don't see the vast majority that are not that way. You simply don't recognize them as homeless.

You see addicts and mental cases on the street. But you don't see the homeless families in the street. The kids are in school and mom and dad are working. And they go back to the car in the evening. They didn't plan it that way. And a million others like them didn't either.

You should get involved with a community project or organization and fill in some of those gaps in your understanding. 

Most of those people were dealt a hand that none of us could have played. Most of them are on their way out of their situation. Most are working as hard as they can on it. Most will have a roof over their heads within a year or two.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2021 at 11:01 PM, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

If you can fish and have a boat, you can make good money doing this. 
They are bottom feeders. Use chicken liver in the spring, Mormon crickets in summer & fresh salmon eggs in the fall. Pieces of night crawler if that's all you have. The best fishing is during the spawn -- usually in in June.

Edited by Dakota Slim
  • Like 1

Guys,

I am not a film critic in real life but I thought NOMADLAND was an excellent movie and told the stories of the characters in a thoughtful manner.  If I remember correctly two or more of the principle characters are actually nomads.  I have been enjoying the u tube videos that Bob Wells puts up frequently, he is the big Santa Claus look alike in the movie.  He has an interesting history, I think his mission in life now is to assist like minded people with their new path in life.  He is a wise and compassionate man.

Around here (Bakersfield Ca) there has been a dramatic increase in the homeless population over the past several years.  The crowd which shows no respect for the property rights or comfort of others fouls the sidewalks with human waste and trash, they push their shopping carts across busy traffic lanes and walk in the middle of the street at night in dark clothing.  A number of businesses have had windows broken out, had people sleeping in their entrances, and been otherwise impacted by homeless people.  The city created a special squad to move them out of encampments in public parks because there was a lot of damage being done to the buildings and improvements not to mention scaring off families with their strange behavior.  Those are the ones who are mentally unstable, drug or booze addicted or a sad combination of those things.  The city in the last year did spend a couple of million bucks to create an "inclusive" shelter with beds for a lot of people, showers, counseling, and other benefits for those who desire assistance.  I don't know what the response has been but it appears that the number of street people continues to grow...

Bob makes a good point with his last paragraph, folks dealt a bad hand, trying to keep their heads above water.  We do have a lot of NGOs here who provide food, shelter and counseling to those who seek it.

I will take 3 medium Pikeminnows to go please.....

Peace,

Jeff

• Like 3