Nugget Shooter Forums

2.7Kg gold in milky quartz

Boris

Boris, may be the pics, but this does not look like gold to me.  Looks like stained quarts.  This type of quartz is rather plentiful in Central AZ around most mountains.

Does it pass the conductivity test with a multimeter?  What happens when pressed with a pin?

Must be the quality of the pics.  I expect gold to be shiny and gold looking.  Even the picture in your last post of the panned gold does not look like gold.

You're the one doing all the work and crushing and smelting.  It’s a shame the pictures do not reflect all that work you put in.

Is the gold you melted pass a continuity check with a multimeter?

Edited by chrisski

It looks like 2.7 kg. of quartz to me.

You calculate the amount of gold in quartz with a specific gravity test. Take one of those specimens and do an SG. That will give a prospective buyer an idea of how much gold might be in the rock. 

It honestly does not look like gold in the photos. If it is gold and you are truly getting beads from it then it is worth something. How much exactly will depend on a specific gravity calculation that will determine the amount of gold in each rock.

Lots of people buy gold. Not many buy ore like that for display. Most of the people here are not too interested in buying ore. They are more interested in finding it. But if you can quantify the amount of gold you have then it will be much easier for a buyer to estimate what it is actually worth.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It looks like 20 kg. of quartz to me.

You calculate the amount of gold in quartz with a specific gravity test. Take one of those specimens and do an SG. That will give a prospective buyer an idea of how much gold might be in the rock. 

In order to get the desired results, everything has to be EXTREMELY precise. With such  large specimens and the small amount of gold, it may not be possible.. :m2c:

Edited by Morlock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Morlock said:

In order to get the desired results, everything has to be EXTREMELY precise. With such  large specimens and the small amount of gold, it may not be possible.. :m2c:

If you want $2k for a bucket of rocks you are going to have to at least give it a try.

12 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

If you want $2k for a bucket of rocks you are going to have to at least give it a try.

You might get a range. Variations with the specific gravity of quartz on  large pieces like that is the issue as I see it.

I think he'd be better off if he were to get rid of that excess quartz by knocking it off and acid treating the remaining pieces so you'll have some nice gold in quartz specimens. There's just too much quartz attached as it is.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Morlock said:

You might get a range. Variations with the specific gravity of quartz on  large pieces like that is the issue as I see it.

I think he'd be better off if he were to get rid of that excess quartz by knocking it off and acid treating the remaining pieces so you'll have some nice gold in quartz specimens. There's just too much quartz attached as it is.

Too much quartz. Not enough gold. 

The story of my life.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Too much quartz. Not enough gold. 

The story of my life.

Bob, are you talking about dating?

Edited by GotAU?