Nugget Shooter Forums

this looks legit.  let's hear what the pros say.  I would think start with a magnet, then a streak test and finally a window.  Thanks for posting

I’m not a meteorite guy. Looks like a terrestrial piece of basalt or basanite to me. 

• Like 1

Hi there, 

Looks like a terrestrial rock to me as well, but I’m no expert and don’t claim to be one. I look at the color, and the “angles”. They form somewhat 90° points that something that big, looking as it does, would have alblated a lot more IMO. And the color looks off too, I like to say ‘poop’ brown. That’s almost black and consistent with basalt. Just my opinion, and as I always say, “Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one.”

Jayray

• Thanks 1

It's a cool rock. I would sure stick a magnet to it and do a window.

Even if it is not a meteorite it is a keeper.

How big is it? Is that a 4x6 post it is sitting on?

21 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It's a cool rock. I would sure stick a magnet to it and do a window.

Even if it is not a meteorite it is a keeper.

How big is it? Is that a 4x6 post it is sitting on?

It's about 6.5 inches it weighs 307 grams I could see metal , after scratching of suspected fusion  crust. Scratch test.  I want to cut it but I think I'll leave as is I'll get it tested.

• Like 2
Just now, Fireball said:

It's about 6.5 inches it weighs 307 grams I could see metal , after scratching of suspected fusion  crust. Scratch test.  I want to cut it but I think I'll leave as is I'll get it tested.

Is it magnetic?

Yes

1 hour ago, Jayray said:

Hi there, 

Looks like a terrestrial rock to me as well, but I’m no expert and don’t claim to be one. I look at the color, and the “angles”. They form somewhat 90° points that something that big, looking as it does, would have alblated a lot more IMO. And the color looks off too, I like to say ‘poop’ brown. That’s almost black and consistent with basalt. Just my opinion, and as I always say, “Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one.”

Jayray

20210416_183042.jpg

9 hours ago, Fireball said:

I think the weight is a little too light for it to be a meteorite so I'm leaning towards basalt. The only way you'll know for sure is to knock a chip off and examine the. interior.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Morlock said:

I think the weight is a little too light for it to be a meteorite so I'm leaning towards basalt. The only way you'll know for sure is to knock a chip off and examine the. interior.

What do I look for.

I saw some iron meteorites that look like this one, but I do not recall ever seeing a stone meteorite that looks like this one does. Could you please post a picture of the part you scratched?

6 hours ago, Fireball said:

What do I look for.

You look for free metallic iron. 

If the iron is mineral iron (sub metallic) it is terrestrial. If the iron is free metallic iron it is a suspect meteorite and warrants further investigation.

Sand a window. If the cuttings are shades of red or grey you have an terrestrial stone. If it is metallic you should find someone to professionally evaluate it.

You can tell right away if you have a suspect stone by grinding a little window and observing the interior.

I don't see any cracking on the outside surfaces like I would expect on fusion crust.  No fractures visible that I could see.  Not sure what the last couple pics are of but, if the same stone, looks sedimentary of some type to my eye.

Edited by DarkSilicate
On 4/17/2021 at 9:26 AM, Mila said:

I saw some iron meteorites that look like this one, but I do not recall ever seeing a stone meteorite that looks like this one does. Could you please post a picture of the part you scratched?

I'll be sending some new pictures to tomorrow Is I can thanks you.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fireball said:

I'll be sending some new pictures to tomorrow . Thank you. 

It resembles The Cabin Creek metiorite

Edited by Fireball
Spelling
14 minutes ago, Fireball said:

It resembles The Cabin Creek metiorite

Irons are often very sculpted. 

If it is iron it is definitely a suspect meteorite. If it is mineral it is not.

It will take a file and five seconds to determine whether this specimen is mineral or iron.

• Thanks 1
On 4/17/2021 at 9:26 AM, Mila said:

20210418_231304.jpg

20210418_231241.jpg

On 4/16/2021 at 4:28 PM, Fireball said:

I think I found a metiorite. 

20210416_135600.jpg

20210416_135547.jpg

20210416_135533.jpg

20210416_135547.jpg

20210416_135547.jpg

Can you give us a general idea where it was found?

9 hours ago, Morlock said:

Can you give us a general idea where it was found?

Was it found in the USA?

Tough to tell from the photo, but the ground-window picts, around the edge of the grind where I would expect to see a thin layer of fusion crust I do not see anything resembling; it appears to be more of an oxidation coating than a fusion crust.  Also tough to tell from the photo is if the interior is metal, or is it a semi-metallic luster like you'd get from filing hematite/magnetite?

Regmaglypt size is a function of the size of the body upon which they form.  I would expect reg's on a rock of this size to be respectively larger, and not as uniform in size/spacing.

Also, if you look at the pict of the ground-window, there's a crack running through the rock there, and the crack is evident on the outer black portion.  If the black exterior was fusion crust, that crack would not be visible on the outside.  And if it were solid metal, it would not crack like that.

Therefore, from what we have here, I think you found a wicked meteorwrong, but it really needs to be looked at in person.

• Like 2