Nugget Shooter Forums

Lynx Creek Mineral Withdrawal - 11 claims and counting...

Last weekend we were on the creek and ran into a corner marker, it was brand new with a metal federal claim tag screwed to it. 

Came home and researched through Land Matters, Diggings and Yavapai county records; within the Lynx Creek Mineral Withdrawal, I've counted 11 claims so far.

Some of them were claimed back between 2007-2011, and a bunch in 2020 and now 2021!!! WTF?

Could it be the boundary of the Lynx Creek recreational prospecting area in your last post?

If there is an area that is withdrawn from mineral entry but open to the public for recreational prospecting it would make sense to mark the corners of the claims in this fashion.

Just guessing.

It would be wise to determine where the multiple withdrawals there are located before deciding mining claims are improperly located.

Always check the Master Title Plat first.

You can download and study the MTP (Master Title Plat - the government's official land status record) directly from Land Matters Land Status Maps.

http://www.mylandmatters.org/Maps/LandStatus.html

Here is the direct link to the General Land Office repository for that particular MTP.

https://glorecords.blm.gov/details/lsr/default.aspx?dm_id=29421

FWIW I used to find new claim markers and new claims filed over mine every year for 15 years.

I had a guy on the internet advertising my claim for sale as "Patented Mining Land". And twice fit was listed for sale as a mining claim. 

I know a guy that actually sold a man a "gold claim" on private property. He just drove four corners and handed him a quitclaim deed. When the guy started digging the owner showed up.

No doubt some guys are filing in withdrawn areas just like they file over active claims.

A withdrawn area with as much interest as Lynx Creek is probably bounded by active claims. So if you were near the boundary you are probably going to see claim markers from active claims driven in places the claimant would like to think are the corners.

If you KNOW you are within the boundaries of the withdrawn area and you see markers or claims on record in that area you can pretty much assume they aren't valid.

If you look at the official map for lynx creek, there are some areas along the creek that are not part of the withdrawal area for whatever reason. Prescott National Forest - Recreation (usda.gov)

Without having been to any of Clay's sites he mentioned, these two yellow areas look like either private property or patented claims.

I checked Lynx creek for open areas years ago, and found nothing.  I checked for miles to the South.  There was some open ground perhaps a mile to the West on some pretty steep hills.  Who knows what is open there now.

There is an AMRA claim that borders this withdrawal area like Bob mentioned, and I'm sure there's many other legitimate claims surrounding it.

There's probably many others that are not legitimate.  Could be ignorance.  It could also be flaunting the rules.  I see the last two examples all the time in my searches.  I can't tell from paper records if it's ignorance or rule breaking though.  Either way, Yavapai county will take your money to file the location notice, and the Arizona BLM will take the fee to locate the claim and renewal fees every year, but that does not mean that person has permission to mine.

There are plenty of paper claims out there.  When you do a records search like you did on Mylandmatters.org, and you start noticing the same person has filed hundreds of claims in a given area, odds are that that guy has never been out there, except to perhaps lay markers, and perhaps not even that.

It was mentioned that if the official map shows you on the area, you can mine.  Just realize, that this is on withdrawal rules, which is basically pick, shovel, pan, No sluice, and NO motorized equipment.  If you're on another area, and that area is not claimed and no other restrictions are in place, you are free to use the sluice.  Please remember I searched the area years ago for miles and I found no open ground.  It also means that you can not drive to the fire station, ignore the no parking sign, and use your sluice on county property.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, chrisski said:

If you look at the official map for lynx creek, there are some areas along the creek that are not part of the withdrawal area for whatever reason. Prescott National Forest - Recreation (usda.gov)

That's not the "official" map Chris. The Master Title Plat I linked before is the only "official" map of land status. That's why each MTP has printed on it "This plat is the Bureau's Record of Title". Here's what the Forest Service has to say about the map you linked to:

"This information is not accurate for legal boundary or for navigational purposes; it may not meet National Map Accuracy Standards. It is intended for use by the USDA Forest Service for natural resource planning and management. The Forest Service assumes no responsibility for the interpretation or application of this data by others."

Not very confidence inspiring.

The Forest Service map you linked to has most of the withdrawal right but there are about 400 acres more withdrawn in the Northwest section and some of southerly portions of the map are not withdrawn. It's at best a general map of the area.

South of the lake only the stream bed area is withdrawn. Once you leave the stream bed area south of the lake the rest is either private property or outside the withdrawal.

To the east of Lynx creek there is good detectable gold and most is still open to location. More than 1,000 acres are open to location there. Much of the Bannie mine road area is still open to location.

You aren't going to be able to make a claim on Lynx creek itself and of course any claims right on the creek are just expensive invalid fantasy claims made by amateurs. That's been going on since at least the 1970's and I imagine it's not going to change anytime soon.

In total there are only 12 claims in the Lynx creek area of the Forest. I suspect several of those are within the withdrawal and will be closed by the BLM when they get around to it.

Edited by clay
  • Like 1

The new claim markers we found are in section 16, which show NO CLAIMS. But, section 21 shows all the claims, even on Bannie Mine road.

I have the boundaries tagged in my Garmin, even the "claims" marked so that we do not accidentally stray and get shot. These areas are well WITHIN the withdrawal areas, even by the FS map and the plat shows these areas as withdrawn.

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 6.15.56 PM.png

5 hours ago, Electrician said:

The new claim markers we found are in section 16, which show NO CLAIMS. But, section 21 shows all the claims, even on Bannie Mine road.

I have the boundaries tagged in my Garmin, even the "claims" marked so that we do not accidentally stray and get shot. These areas are well WITHIN the withdrawal areas, even by the FS map and the plat shows these areas as withdrawn.

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 6.15.56 PM.png

Several areas in Section 16 are open to location. About half the section is outside of the withdrawn area. It looks like the area you are indicating may be in one of those areas.

When you are looking at the Master Title Plat only those areas within the dash dot line are withdrawn. It looks like the withdrawal there is only about 600 feet wide.

15 hours ago, clay said:

That's not the "official" map Chris. The Master Title Plat I linked before is the only "official" map of land status. That's why each MTP has printed on it "This plat is the Bureau's Record of Title". Here's what the Forest Service has to say about the map you linked to:

Thanks Clay.  I did not look at the link you put in earlier.  I knew there had to be a better map than the forest service had posted.  That Master Title Plat has good detail.

Maybe 10 years ago, I created my own map based off the rather crude map from link I posted.  That was all I could find at the time.  It was quite the exercise.  I used USGS maps to plot the boundaries.  Of course the map I was putting together covered the intersection of four of those maps.  At least all the datum on the maps were the same. Once I actually got to Lynx creek, The area I decided to go to was well within the mineral withdrawal area and did not go near any of the borders.  I'm sure others have been to the area.  There was a sluice carved into the bedrock and I'm sure others have seen that since.

• Like 2

I heard that last year the mineral withdrawal was up for renewal documentation by some state or federal agency and they missed the deadline which left the area open to claim for a few days until the documents were filed. Several savvy prospectors jumped on the opportunity and staked claims.

This is what I heard so please take that with a grain of salt, I have no idea of these government withdrawal workings.

• Like 1