Nugget Shooter Forums

Hello 

I have a question regarding the non magnetic meteorites.

Does anyone know of an example or a name of such rocks ( pls exclude the glass type)

I have purchased a meteorite ( obviously a meteorite) with a great black fusion crust ( real fusion crust) but it doesn't attract magnet " thats why I purchased it".

So I want to see what meteorites are Fe=0-Ni=0

I don't mind reading long articles and old studies. Anything related to non magnetic meteorites would be helpful. 

Sam

The idea is that non magnetic meteorites came from a differentiated body and not an asteroid.

So a non magnetic meteorite would have had to come from the moon or Mars, or the surface of some other differentiated body.

Hi there, you may be thinking about carbonaceous chondrites. Here are a few,  

Some famous carbonaceous chondrites are: Allende, Murchison, Orgueil, Ivuna, Murray, Tagish Lake, Sutter's Mill and Winchcombe.

Jayray

We'd like to see some photos of your meteorite purchase so post them if you can.

If I read it correctly, this paper gives the low down on susceptibility of the different meteorite types: https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2006/pdf/1485.pdf

It shows:

The three with the lowest susecptibility values and below 4 on the susceptibility chart are:

Lunar,

Angrites, 

Eucrites

They are followed closely by (and are 3 or above on the chart):

SNC, (shergottite, nakhlite, and chassigny classes)

Diogenites,

Howardites,

Then it is:

Aubrites,

see chart

Edited by DarkSilicate

Most achondrites are not attracted by a magnet as they do not contain free metal like chondrites.