Nugget Shooter Forums

A buddy of mine found a bunch of opalized bones. I tumbled a hunk of it just to see what it looks like.

20210401_174634.jpg

It's splintery and chunks fall out in places. But it is pretty cool looking material. It is very soft and tumbling makes it a bunch smaller. But I succeeded (sort of) at polishing a piece of it.

20210401_180228.jpg

I was told by a guy that most of this stuff is camel bones. He may have been clueless but his story convinced me.

I am just assuming this piece is a camel bone too. Some sort of big herbivore for sure. You find a lot of big teeth that look like they could have come from a camel laying around. 

• Like 3

Good job!

• Like 1

It looks more like petrified wood than camel bones. I'd sure like to hear the story.

Or is this a belated April Fools Day gotcha joke?😏

Oh that’s definitely camel bone, you can tell how old he was by counting the rings. And that really dark patch tells you he got his fur scorched by a bad forest fire one year. 

• Like 1

I'm sorry. Just not buying it. I don't know of any mammal that has rings in the bone structure. That's just not how bones grow.

No offense but it doesn't make any difference what type of camel it was. Their bones just don't grow rings.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Morlock said:

No offense but it doesn't make any difference what type of camel it was. Their bones just don't grow rings.

I’d like to see you say that to a Pygmy camels face 

• Haha 1

I suppose it could have been a tree. But it had teeth and big knobby joints on the end of the branches. And marrow instead of wood. 

A camel oak? A dromedary pine? A two humped maple?

------

When I was a young man (and dinosaurs ruled the earth) I was working on a construction project drilling a big commercial well and building a treatment building.

We found lots of big teeth and bones that looked just like this. This was a publicly funded project and the PM decided to call in the experts.

The fellow took one look and said they were camel bones. He explained that there were lots of camels poking around just before the last ice age and their bones were fairly common. He showed us how the material was soft and opalized rather than the usual agatized dinosaur bones and most wood.

Since then I have found several spots with big bones sticking up out of the sand. They all have big flat teeth that look like horse teeth scattered around. When my buddy told me he had found some bones and I saw what he found I declared them to be camel bones. I am qualified to do that because I have just enough experience to say stuff like that and sound like I know what im talking about.

So that is how I came to my scientific conclusion. I suppose they could be old buffalo bones. Or a big freaking woolly mammoth. Or the remains of the frumious bandersnatch. All of which are routinely found in this area. But since someone told me that camel bones were fairly common here I am running with the camel story.

They aren't wood for sure. I know it looks like petrified wood and it is sometimes hard to tell petrified wood from bone. But these are obviously bones. You can clearly see the shape of the bone and the joints. The honeycomb interior of the bones and  the flat, layered teeth.

So there is my camel bone story. It is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. And if it isn't true it is a darn good lie and certainly could have been true.

• well done 1
9 minutes ago, Caliche Chris said:

I’d like to see you say that to a Pygmy camels face 

😂😂😂.  Poor Pygmy.😂😂😂

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Morlock said:

It isn't rings. That pattern is not annular around the core like a piece of wood. 

They are clearly bones laying there linked together in a partial skeleton. You can see the joints and the bone structure clearly in the field. 

I can't tell you if he had one hump or two. But I can say with 100% certainty that what you are looking at is a chunk of petrified bone from a large herbivorous animaloid of some kind.

• Like 1

I’ll be darned! I just assumed it was wood because it looks like stuff I’ve found and called wood. I guess it’s a slippery slope...I believed it was wood for no other reason other than I had called it wood several hundred times since finding it. I know some of what I’ve found is wood, but a lot of it is wildly different looking in shape and color so I might have some bone too. I have to watch it or I’ll end up being one of those people I meet out in the field who are collecting round pieces of gravel and telling me they’ve got dinosaur eggs. When you can see them lying there how they were deposited it makes identifying them a lot easier, and the teeth sure make it a dead giveaway! Desert camel bones, very cool! 

Edited by Caliche Chris
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, hardtimehermit said:

It looks like it came from the camel tree.

The one hump camel tree isn't native to New Mexico and didn't exist here before the Spanish introduced them in the early 1500's. 

The seeds of the camel tree have been found in petrified poodle schit below carved stone outcroppings that mark rich regolith deposits. Many stone carvings were done by skilled Spanish masons that witnessed alien cattle mutilations while denying the poodles dug holes in the earth's crust.

This caused rings to form in their bones because experimental vaccines had made them believe the fake news media was forcing them to wear a mask. As a result they took nutritional supplements and gobbled up seaweed like a baleen whale.

The colored layers in the bones were caused by alternately wrapping themselves in the flag followed by wiping their butts with the constitution. This gave them a melanin allergy that created beautiful layers in their spineless skeletons that would later be confused with patriotism. 

So while the material does look very similar to wood it is actually petrified camel bones 

• well done 1
1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

So while the material does look very similar to wood it is actually petrified camel bones 

A camel tooth? Psssh, it's a toe, your Plutonicness. You can see the keratin layers.

Edited by Stillweaver hillbelli
  • well done 1

That is actually a very astute observation Seaweeding Hillbuddy! Bravo! Bravo indeed! As much as I hate to admit it you are probably correct.

I never thought I would be a proud owner of a petrified camel toe. I assumed being a single man would save me from that horrible fate. But it may very well be that the layers we see here are indeed a petrified camel toe.

If I had realized this I would have certainly put that in the title of this thread. 

Skip, if you have a chance could you change the title of this thread to "Opalized camel toe"? I think that may be exactly what this is. And the new title has such a ring to it! Just delete two letters and add one. I would be forever grateful 

This changes the whole ball game. I just figured I had a chunk of bone. I may have an opalized camel toe. This is much rarer than the spandex kind. It could be worth some big bucks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

That is actually a very astute observation Seaweeding Hillbuddy! Bravo! Bravo indeed! As much as I hate to admit it you are probably correct.

I never thought I would be a proud owner of a petrified camel toe. I assumed being a single man would save me from that horrible fate. But it may very well be that the layers we see here are indeed a petrified camel toe.

If I had realized this I would have certainly put that in the title of this thread. 

Skip, if you have a chance could you change the title of this thread to "Opalized camel toe"? I think that may be exactly what this is. And the new title has such a ring to it! Just delete two letters and add one. I would be forever grateful 

This changes the whole ball game. I just figured I had a chunk of bone. I may have an opalized camel toe. This is much rarer than the spandex kind. It could be worth some big bucks!

Now I know this topic was an April Fools gag.😏

2 hours ago, Morlock said:

Now I know this topic was an April Fools gag.😏

No actually it wasn't.

I also wondered about the banding. And it does look like wood.

I didn't think about it much. I knew it was bone and figured the banding was a result of the fossilization process or something. 

But Stillbeaver's camel toe theory is sound. It certainly could be a camel toe because there was exactly 8 toes for every camel and there was some camel out there. So it is not out of the realm of possibility. On the contrary. It actually makes sense.

Nugget shooter forums is a wealth of information, knowledge and experience. Everybody learns a little and teaches a little.

We actually have a camel herder that posts here often. Jimale knows camel feet better than anyone here. I would like to hear his opinion on this fossil as well as hear him tell us how a camel toe is constructed. 

So it is no prank my friend. We may indeed be looking at an opalized camel toe as strange as it may seem. 

• Like 1

Sorry Bob, I just can't bring myself to change the title, the connotations of that phrase just doesn't fit the forum, even if it was a female camel wearing hot pants!! :tisk-tisk:

• Haha 1
42 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

Sorry Bob, I just can't bring myself to change the title, the connotations of that phrase just doesn't fit the forum, even if it was a female camel wearing hot pants!! :tisk-tisk:

You are getting to be a real stick in the mud Skip. Don't you want to have any fun anymore?

camel-with-bound-feet-ethiopia-EEX5H6.jpg

• Haha 1
  • well done 1

Bob’s friend has obviously found  the site of a camel wrecking yard. 

1C9E7913-F7C6-408E-9A5B-1BD4031F4DF6.jpeg

nice work though Bob, it looks nice!

• Like 1

I'm going to go pick up a bucket of the stuff and make a fortune. 

There must be a market for petrified camel toes. Any rock collection needs a petrified camel toe to be complete.

What do you figure a petrified camel toe would fetch on the open market? Twenty bucks plus shipping? Maybe 25?

If'n a guy went out there and dug himself a fortune in camel toes would he be famous? 

Seems to me with 8 toes to a camel it would only take about 125 camels to make a thousand bucks. That is if you found every toe.

With a little luck and a few thousand camels a guy could come out pretty good selling camel toes.

Every time I have a good day with the detector I have the same conversation with myself. 

It sounds just as silly if you replace the words "camel toes" with the word "nugget". 

Still I will find a little patch one afternoon and go home dreaming of the pickle jar full of nuggets im going to get the next time.

At least it isn't exploding martian sandstone. Or a pallasite that is a chunk of asphalt with an apple jolly rancher stuck in it. This is some authentic petrified camel toe bro.

On 4/5/2021 at 11:19 PM, Bedrock Bob said:

I'm going to go pick up a bucket of the stuff and make a fortune. 

There must be a market for petrified camel toes. Any rock collection needs a petrified camel toe to be complete.

What do you figure a petrified camel toe would fetch on the open market? Twenty bucks plus shipping? Maybe 25?

If'n a guy went out there and dug himself a fortune in camel toes would he be famous? 

Seems to me with 8 toes to a camel it would only take about 125 camels to make a thousand bucks. That is if you found every toe.

With a little luck and a few thousand camels a guy could come out pretty good selling camel toes.

Every time I have a good day with the detector I have the same conversation with myself. 

It sounds just as silly if you replace the words "camel toes" with the word "nugget". 

Still I will find a little patch one afternoon and go home dreaming of the pickle jar full of nuggets im going to get the next time.

At least it isn't exploding martian sandstone. Or a pallasite that is a chunk of asphalt with an apple jolly rancher stuck in it. This is some authentic petrified camel toe bro.

Hi, Bob,

You can  thrive and still make a fortune on the fallacies of a dinosaur, bones, and  teeth,  with concomitant aliens stories, that I regard to be  an alternative truth.

For camels, my friend,   buy one and bury it somewhere in a rain forest and wait for some years for such a desired result, There is a ready market for new discoveries in disneyland.