Nugget Shooter Forums

My guess is it is selenite or gypsum. It makes cool little blossoms in the dirt.

There are a few other things it may be. Barite makes crystals like that. Barite is really heavy. 

There may be someone else chime in and give their opinion. If I am wrong there will be an uproar and we will know about it. But unless some expert comes along to tell us otherwise I am going to call it gypsum. Or selenite. I think either term is correct.

• Like 1

I think it might be barite! It looks similar to me in this example. But im just going off of the wavy brown material that looks similar. 

20210324_140328.jpg

• Like 1

Yes. If it is heavy it could be barite.

I'm not sure how you could distinguish between the two minerals other than a weight comparison. Barite is heavier and harder than gypsum. It is probably a lot less soluble than gypsum too.

Could you use vinegar to distinguish between barite and gypsum?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Hard to tell, but if the "roses" are somewhat translucent, then it's not barite.  Likely  selenite or gyp, as stated.

https://www.mindat.org/mesg-405735.html

That is actually a very lucid observation Stillheating Wheelbearing! 

I can't really tell from the photos. But if you are seeing translucent roses it must be gypsum. Either that or you have been eating too much cactus.

• Haha 1

Barite is commonly found in clear crystals just as Selenite is.

Selenite is the common name for transparent crystals of Gypsum. Selenite by definition is transparent. The opaque varities of Gypsum are known as Satin Spar in the fibrous form and Alabaster in the massive form.

The crystal form shown in the picture doesn't appear to be Barite. These crystals could be one of the many evaporite non-carbonate salt mineral forms, not just limited to Barite or Gypsum. A positive ID is probably going to come down to chemical analysis, XRF, hardness and crystal angle measurement or just studying the known geology and mineral deposit chemistry of the area where it was found.

Edited by clay
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, clay said:

Barite is commonly found in clear crystals just as Selenite is.

Selenite is the common name for transparent crystals of Gypsum. Selenite by definition is transparent. The opaque varities of Gypsum are known as Satin Spar in the fibrous form and Alabaster in the massive form.

The crystal form shown in the picture doesn't appear to be Barite. These crystals could be one of the many evaporite non-carbonate salt mineral forms, not just limited to Barite or Gypsum. A positive ID is probably going to come down to chemical analysis, XRF, hardness and crystal angle measurement or just studying the known geology and mineral deposit chemistry of the area where it was found.

All very factual.

Do you have an opinion on what type of evaporate it might be based on the only info we have? A wild guess? A gut feeling? A divine revelation?

My money is on gypsum. Or selenite. However translucent or opaque it needs to be to be one or the other. Or both.

3 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

That is actually a very lucid observation Stillheating Wheelbearing! 

I can't really tell from the photos. But if you are seeing translucent roses it must be gypsum. Either that or you have been eating too much cactus.

Really?  A lot you know.

I wouldn't know a barite from an ite with clothes.

36 minutes ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Really?  A lot you know.

There is a barite mine about 15 miles up the road from me. So it is a mineral I am familiar with in that particular setting. 

30 miles in another direction is White Sands. Big time gypsum. When I was a young man I went to a spot where the gypsum crystals were as long as my leg standing up in huge druses like little bushes. There is every form of selenite or gypsum or alabaster formation over there.

So just by dumb luck i have collected a few bucketfulls of barite and gypsum. They are really similar looking. And I'm not really sure that some of what I am calling "barite" might actually be some other mineral.

If it is heavy I call it barite. But Clay says barite is clear. So I might be lumping a few minerals together and calling it barite.

Just like im probably lumping a few minerals together and calling it selenite.

3 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Really?  A lot you know.

I was referring to your observation that I was lucid. Impossible! I've no San pedro.

Relax ,,,your selenite, barite, gypsum fetish is safe with us.

Edited by Stillweaver hillbelli