Nugget Shooter Forums

Around 7pm last night I was outside cleaning a water tub when it suddenly got bright. So bright I thought a neighbor's car had found me in its headlights. I looked up in time to see a meteor exploding and breaking up, leaving a smoke cloud in its wake.

I noted the time and the location. The meteor was a several degrees directly below the North Star when I observed it. It appeared to be traveling NE.

Now for the skeptical part.. It wasn't clear out, but rather a thin scattered layer of Cirrus only. I opened my Doppler radar app and looked for any anomalies at the same instance as the spectacle I'd just witnessed.

There in the precise direction and location at the correct time appeared an echo. It was a brief blip but I'm certain the Doppler captured it.

BTW, back around 1987, I was on of the first individuals in AZ to be checked out on the Doppler color radar as part of my duties as a meteorologist stationed at Luke AFB, so I've seen a few echoes in my time.Capture+_2021-03-22-19-58-12.pngCapture+_2021-03-22-19-58-44.pngCapture+_2021-03-22-20-07-53.png

• Like 2
  • wow 1

By the way, screen say 2000hrs while radar says 1900hrs, not sure why 2 different time zones

32 minutes ago, DarkSilicate said:

Wow, be sure to update us if you find some of it.  Thanks for sharing the info.  

I'm not looking but apparently a lot of folk saw it. From the AMS...Capture+_2021-03-23-16-42-23.pngCapture+_2021-03-23-16-42-23.png

• Like 1

Very cool!  Well done

It seems like a lot of good fireballs follow a couple days behind the big rocks that come close to earth. It's happened several times in the past few years.

It was probably a piece of the big torpedo shaped rascal that came close to earth a couple days ago.

You gotta figure a big rock whizzing around probably has a few smaller ones trailing it. I bet most of those big rocks have a cloud of little ones tracking in the same general trajectory.

I hope NASA will chime in with elevation the terminal flash occurred, I think the Prescott Valley meteors terminal flash was around 54 miles into the atmosphere..

I'm wondering if Mondays meteor will have landed in AZ.

7 minutes ago, Edge said:

I hope NASA will chime in with elevation the terminal flash occurred, I think the Prescott Valley meteors terminal flash was around 54 miles into the atmosphere..

I'm sure the professional meteorite hunters have all that information and are acting on it if it's viable.

28 minutes ago, Edge said:

They fly a hell of a long way in dark flight. It could be in NW New Mexico or Southern Colorado if it hit the ground.

21 hours ago, Edge said:

By the way, screen say 2000hrs while radar says 1900hrs, not sure why 2 different time zones

AZ doesn't observe daylight saving time, probably why the difference.